Moms of Young Kids going Solo??

Dreacrusingaway

So, I got off my 1st cruise 3 days ago, I really enjoyed it. I went with my husband and 2 daughters ages 8 and 12. I did enjoy not having to cook and bring able to send the kids to Camp Carnival, but I was still on "mom duty" and was certainly not refreshed and rested after the "vacation". I did visit the Alchemy bar each night but that was about it for alone time.

We met a young lady at the table next to us dining alone and I spoke with her and she even stopped by a bar I recommended later. She was a solo cruiser. I have to say I was jealous that she was alone while I had to return to a demanding family where they think my 1st name is. "Canyou".

So I'm mulling over the idea of a solo. Let the husband watch the kids while I get some off time, as in no one asking me for a single thing. If I stay out until 2am, no one cares and if I sleep through breakfast no one starves.

I get the impression a lot of solo cruisers are single or if married have kids that are grown up and a spouse that prefers to stay home.

Anyone that cruises solo for a "mom-cation"? I'm sure if I do this some folks will think I'm selfish, but I always put myself last, so I think I should look out for me once in a while.

Any insight would be great. Did your family think you were nuts or encourage you to take a break?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by Dreacrusingaway

So, I got off my 1st cruise 3 days ago, I really enjoyed it. I went with my husband and 2 daughters ages 8 and 12. I did enjoy not having to cook and bring able to send the kids to Camp Carnival, but I was still on "mom duty" and was certainly not refreshed and rested after the "vacation". I did visit the Alchemy bar each night but that was about it for alone time.

We met a young lady at the table next to us dining alone and I spoke with her and she even stopped by a bar I recommended later. She was a solo cruiser. I have to say I was jealous that she was alone while I had to return to a demanding family where they think my 1st name is. "Canyou".

So I'm mulling over the idea of a solo. Let the husband watch the kids while I get some off time, as in no one asking me for a single thing. If I stay out until 2am, no one cares and if I sleep through breakfast no one starves.

I get the impression a lot of solo cruisers are single or if married have kids that are grown up and a spouse that prefers to stay home.

Anyone that cruises solo for a "mom-cation"? I'm sure if I do this some folks will think I'm selfish, but I always put myself last, so I think I should look out for me once in a while.

Any insight would be great. Did your family think you were nuts or encourage you to take a break?

I am a single mom and my son has been my cruising/travel buddy for all but two of my cruises. I must say the one cruise I took with my sisters/spouses and parents (me alone in my own cabin) was my very favorite. I did not have to take care of anyone but me. But was not a full solo cruise as I had family to dine with and spend day with if I chose.

To answer your question, no I would not say you are being selfish as many men take "hunting vaca's" (oh they don't call them vaca's) whoops! But generally go with their buddies and leave the spouse and kiddos home... So nope I say "Go and have a trip to yourself to relax and enjoy some just you time".

I have to say I was jealous that she was alone while I had to return to a demanding family where they think my 1st name is. "Canyou".

That made me giggle.

My sister has only ever vacationed with her husband and kids. She says she hates going away, she'd rather stay home with her dog. I keep telling her that she needs to try going with me or a friend and see if she feels the same way. I don't think she's ever taken a vacation where someone wasn't depending on her for everything. It's exhausting. She'll never do it though, which makes me a little sad.

I think you should talk to your husband about it. If he's ok with it, then by all means try it once. It's only a week of your life. Is it worth damaging your marriage over it if he's really not comfortable with it? Don't know.

I know if I met you on a cruise and you told me you'd left the DH & kids at home to have a real holiday, I'd say good for you. Others may judge, but who cares.

My sister has only ever vacationed with her husband and kids. She says she hates going away, she'd rather stay home with her dog. I keep telling her that she needs to try going with me or a friend and see if she feels the same way.

Hey, what about sending the husband and kids on a cruise? Then she could stay home with the dog. Maybe after THAT she'd get the point?

I am a single mom and my son has been my cruising/travel buddy for all but two of my cruises. I must say the one cruise I took with my sisters/spouses and parents (me alone in my own cabin) was my very favorite. I did not have to take care of anyone but me. But was not a full solo cruise as I had family to dine with and spend day with if I chose.

To answer your question, no I would not say you are being selfish as many men take "hunting vaca's" (oh they don't call them vaca's) whoops! But generally go with their buddies and leave the spouse and kiddos home... So nope I say "Go and have a trip to yourself to relax and enjoy some just you time".

Rina155, Your post reminded me of my very first cruise many years ago. I was seated at a 10 top with 8 women from Minnesota who were doing a girl's cruise, because their husband's all went hunting together each year, so they thought they would do the same. They varied in age from the early 20's into the 60's, but those girls were so much fun to be around, as they were having a good time.

They weren't really solo travelers as they were all together but they had so much fun, you couldn't help but have a good time being around them.

I started cruising last year and I'm a single mom of two sons (9 and 6). All of my cruises so far have been short solo cruises on Princess and I've had a blast! I'm grateful to have new travel experiences on my own. It really helps that my sons' dad is supportive of me getting time to myself and he values getting extended alone time with the kids while I'm away. If your DH is fine with it, then go for it! It's not selfish to take a short trip without your family as long as they're taken care of while you're away.

We're taking our first family cruise (including my sons' dad) later this month on Carnival--I already know that Princess isn't the line for them. I hope they like cruising enough so that we can do it more often on different lines. If they don't like it, then I still plan to keep cruising solo as I really enjoy that type of vacation. We'll just do other types of vacations together instead.

I am going on my first solo cruise in a couple of weeks. My family is supportive as I need this personal time and hope to re-charge. I am not traveling with my husband and 6 yr old daughter who have decided to go camping while I'm away. At first it was difficult to tell them that I wanted to take the trip alone, but then it became more important to carve this time out for myself. I also am job hunting and deciding on whether or not to go back to school so I hope to use this time to pause and reflect on what I want to do for myself. I won't be surrounded by my daily stressors and habits and pressures and will (hopefully) come to a decision.

I encourage you to pursue taking some time for yourself whether it be cruising or not, though I think cruising is a great idea. See if your family is supportive...if your husband doesn't want to solo parent, check if grandparents, other relatives or friends want to help out. Then, decide where you want to go and go!

• 1 month later...

I am a mom to 3 school age kids and am about to go on my first solo. I think it is the perfect getaway! As a mom you take care of others all day and a solo cruise is all about someone taking care of you.

• 3 weeks later...

Taking my first solo cruise in September - and leaving hubby and 2 kids (18 and 13) at home.

Looking forward to some bonafide "me" time. Hubby was a little surprised at first, but he's OK now. Kids don't know yet - guess I'm feeling a little guilty :(

Yes, I'm sure some people may think I'm selfish - but we moms need a break too :)

Luckily, I've chatted with some great folks in the roll call (including some solos), so that sure helps!

Looking forward to my adventure!

Sent from my phone. Typos are inevitable.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My kids are 9 and 6...I would love a mom-cation! I have never cruised solo before but obviously it has crossed my mind since I am under the solo cruisers part of the forum. Maybe us moms could plan a solo mom-cation all on the same cruise and have a blast! I sure as heck need it!

Wow, just got back from my 1st mom-cation and it was everything I dreamed of and more! I loved having the freedom to go to my room and nap or read if I wanted to. I never felt lonely because I would sit with people in the main dining room or strike up conversations at the pool.

I've been a stay at home mom for 12 years. Most companies would give you at least 2 weeks paid vacation after 12 years. So I don't have a moment's hesitation about taking this time!

I don't have children or a significant other, but completely get the need for "YOU" time as I need it myself. As a parent, I can only imagine because you literally get no days off. I don't believe its selfish at all. I think you'll be rejuvenated and should at least do it once a year for yourself (Not Mother's day) if you can't do it more often. :)