nassau beach for family

danelover

Nassau is the last stop on our cruise and after days of great excursions our family would enjoy some down time at a nice beach that didn't cost a small fortune. Two grandparents, a 12, a16 year old and their parents. Are we safe at junkaroo so mom can shop the boys play or should I book an excursion thru the ship

I would suggest not planning anything and consider just staying on the ship. You can leisurely wander off the ship for a few blocks if you so desire on that day, but if you're looking for an inexpensive and relaxing day to just be mellow, stay on board where your food is paid for. Nassau really isn't that nice of a port in my opinion. The good news is that you can easily get off the ship, walk around as little or as long as you'd like and be back on board just as quickly.

there is a beautiful safe beach called Nirvana in Nassau. You will need to take a taxi to get there, if you use the driver we had in Nassau Cheryl she will drop you off and come get you when you are done and if you use her the beach lets you use beach chairs, umbrellas, snorkel equipment and kayaks at no extra charge. It was a beautiful beach with out large crowds.

Junkanoo is a fine beach for an inexpensive beach day in Nassau. We have been there the last few times we have been to Nassau. It is pretty simple to get there. When you dock you will go thru a large building at the port which will exit you to the town area. Head to the right along the waterfront. Lots of shopping along this way as well. Once to the end of the street you will see Senior Frogs take a left here and follow the sidewalk along the yellowish color building. This is the British Colonial Hilton and you will continue past this and not too far you will come across a Fat Tuesdays. Just past there is Junkanoo Beach. Food and Beverage can be had there. We are thinking about doing a day pass at the Melia or Wyndam on Cable Beach when we are in Nassau later this week. I have another thread with info on this place if you would like to check it out...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2050469

Junkanoo is a fine beach for an inexpensive beach day in Nassau. We have been there the last few times we have been to Nassau. It is pretty simple to get there. When you dock you will go thru a large building at the port which will exit you to the town area. Head to the right along the waterfront. Lots of shopping along this way as well. Once to the end of the street you will see Senior Frogs take a left here and follow the sidewalk along the yellowish color building. This is the British Colonial Hilton and you will continue past this and not too far you will come across a Fat Tuesdays. Just past there is Junkanoo Beach. Food and Beverage can be had there. We are thinking about doing a day pass at the Melia or Wyndam on Cable Beach when we are in Nassau later this week. I have another thread with info on this place if you would like to check it out...

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2050469

What would you recommend for a family with a 5 year old...lol. I am hoping we get a good beach day at Coco Cay, so was just thinking of getting day pass at one of the hotels with a great pool. We were looking at BCH as it is in walking distance from ship, but the pools at Melia look amazing. Let me know which you choose and how you liked it. My wife may want to try Junkanoo so I can watch our son and she can shop...lol

Sent from my iPad using Cruise Critic Forums mobile app

there is a beautiful safe beach called Nirvana in Nassau. You will need to take a taxi to get there, if you use the driver we had in Nassau Cheryl she will drop you off and come get you when you are done and if you use her the beach lets you use beach chairs, umbrellas, snorkel equipment and kayaks at no extra charge. It was a beautiful beach with out large crowds.

How does one find Cheryl? How much is the taxi and ho long of of drive from the ship?

our family did (and will do) Junkanoo beach. Its clean, there are plenty of services (food/drink) the locals are friendly to tourists, and the walk is short and refreshing.

Do note that while the beach is free -- the washroom does have an attendant -- that is not free ----- but its a small price to pay for a clean bathroom.

our family did (and will do) Junkanoo beach. Its clean, there are plenty of services (food/drink) the locals are friendly to tourists, and the walk is short and refreshing.

Do note that while the beach is free -- the washroom does have an attendant -- that is not free ----- but its a small price to pay for a clean bathroom.

Thanks for the tip. My wife likes the idea of walking somewhere from the ship, and has already hinted that she would like to be free to shop while I am at the beach with our son. Does Junkanoo get crowded? I think we arrive at 1:30pm and there are four other ships in port, but two leave at 2pm or so. One other question - we will down there over Thanksgiving. How is the water temp at that time of year...lol

Thanks for the tip. My wife likes the idea of walking somewhere from the ship, and has already hinted that she would like to be free to shop while I am at the beach with our son. Does Junkanoo get crowded? I think we arrive at 1:30pm and there are four other ships in port, but two leave at 2pm or so. One other question - we will down there over Thanksgiving. How is the water temp at that time of year...lol

We were fine in January so you should be just fine in November. I think we had 5 ships in port that day and it didn't feel crowded at all. There were a ton of people on the walk to it but I think they must have kept going because they never showed up at the beach.