Germany to Rome

seafood

DH and I will be visiting our son in Germany prior to our November Transatlantic cruise from CIVITAVECCHIA. We would prefer to take a train from Germany to Rome, where we will stay three days before our cruise. I'm totally at a loss as to what train(s) will get us from Kaiserslautern, Germany (which is near Frankfurt) to our hotel (IQ Hotel Roma) in Rome.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

DH and I will be visiting our son in Germany prior to our November Transatlantic cruise from CIVITAVECCHIA. We would prefer to take a train from Germany to Rome, where we will stay three days before our cruise. I'm totally at a loss as to what train(s) will get us from Kaiserslautern, Germany (which is near Frankfurt) to our hotel (IQ Hotel Roma) in Rome.

Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

1st; the german rail system (Deutsche Bahn) is where you want to start http://www.db.de/

From Frankfurt to Roma, you're looking at an all day affair, likely with changes in Bern (or Basel and Zurich), plus Milano. Another option would be to get over to Munich, then take the overnight train to Venice and high speed from Venice to Roma.

It will take a few changes. I have fond memories of Kaiserslautern (used to have a European office there), but it's not an easy place to get to/get out of.

By train I think the fastest connection is Kaiserslautern to Lucern, then Lucern to Milano, then Milano to Rome.

The best web site to check is the German rail site: http://www.bahn.de/i/view/GBR/en/index.shtml

Long trip in a single day, Best to break it over over two days with an overnight stop in either Basel or Zurich.

So day 1 Germany to Basel or Zurich. Then Day 2 Basel or Zurich to Milano Centrale then Milano Centrale to Roma Termini.

Fron Basel you go through the Lotschberg Base tunnel currently longest in the world and Simplon tunnel. From Zurich you go via the Gotthard tunnel and the three level Wasien spiral . Both very scenic and spectacular rail routes .

We live about 45 minutes away from Kaiserslautern and would not consider a train from this area to Rome. A flight will be much quicker at a fraction of the cost. The closest airport to Kaiserslautern is Hahn, from where you should be able to find some inexpensive one-way tickets on Ryanair.

Just make sure you carefully read their terms and conditions since they are known to charge high fines for failing to do online check-in, failing to bring a boarding pass to the airport, etc.