First HAL Cruise... My blog

uilleann

Loving your blog! We are going on the Amsterdam in August for a week long cruise. I am really enjoying all the pictures and it's getting me even more excited! I'm so jealous of your beautiful suite. I wish we had the money for a room with a balcony! I was also excited to see you talk about geocaching in the blog. I'm really into caching and can't wait to do some in Alaska. We're going to Juneau, Ketchikan and Sitka. Were there any caches there that you recommend putting on the must do list? :)

No great caches but Rivilla uphilla is a big one in ketchikan with lots of room for trackables. At the same port is a hard one called Bin Caching TB Hotel. Another big one but very hard to find. Think... On your hands and knees and under something. Juneau had Juneau Coin and Token Reserve. A large and easy one. We were so busy in Sitka we did not have time for geocaching.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi Bob,

So I'm sitting here reading your blog, looking at your gorgeous pictures, and said to my husband, "There's a woman who looks just like Dara in these pictures." OMG, there are Tom and Dara!!! I called to tell them how exciting this was!

Fantastic blog. I really enjoyed it. What are geocaches?

You can check it out on geocaching.com. but in about 2003 or so the govenment opened up the use of gps satellites to everyone. Handheld gps units became available. A group of people in Oregon decided to make a game of hiding weather proof boxes of little toys. They put the gps coordinates on the on the internet. Families would look for the hidden boxes, find them, log them on the internet, take a toy and leave a toy. it got to be a really popular idea and today these hidden treasures number in the many hundred of thousands and they are hidden all over the world. There is even one on the space station and one at base camp Mount Everest. Today the hidden stuff ranges from a micro (a tiny magnet with room only for a tiny roll of paper for logging) to a Large which can be the trunk of a car. Generally you can always find them within walking distance of your home. Its fun to find them. Sometimes they are in unusual places that you would never had gone to. We like to do it in places we visit. There are also things called trackables. They are little things with an identification number on or attached to the item. The item usually had an intended purpose like bring me home or take me to Alaska or i want to visit amusment parks. As it gets moved people log it and you can follow its progress. We put several in Germany and asked that they return to the west coast of the US. It was fun watching it move around Europe and then after several years moved to California.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by uilleann