Musica in the Caribbean - Is this news or am I just slow?

VacationCrazee

Musica will be doing a very interesting Caribbean itinerary this winter beginning late November/early December. Is this something new or is this something that MSC has done in the past?

The Itinerary includes ports that most of the other major cruiselines do not visit (i.e., Guadelope, Martinique).

My vacation time is already plotted for 2014 but if they offer these cruises again in 2015, I think I will give it a go.

Anyone know anything about this ship?

Musica will be doing a very interesting Caribbean itinerary this winter beginning late November/early December. Is this something new or is this something that MSC has done in the past?

The Itinerary includes ports that most of the other major cruiselines do not visit (i.e., Guadelope, Martinique).

My vacation time is already plotted for 2014 but if they offer these cruises again in 2015, I think I will give it a go.

Hmmmm,,available on the UK site I see. I like some of those itineraries.

Edited by Mikesa1721

Yes, also the Orchestra looks like it is going to be in the Caribbean starting late 2015. Great itineraries.

Most of these port stops are the few Caribbean islands I have never visited. I so plan to take at least one if not two of these cruises.

I am a UK cruiser but have sailed on the Musica back from Argentina. To date my favourite MSC ship.

I had read mixed reviews after I had booked the cruise but the staff were easily the best I have had on any MSC ship. They worked hard and the ship was spotless.

I like that class of ship especially the public spaces - Plenty of wine bars serving complimentary tapas. Plenty of lounges with live music.

Never felt overcrowded at all.

I would happily cruise her again anytime.

Annie

Edited by anniegb

I believe this will be the third year MSC will be doing an alternative Caribbean itinary (think they refer to it as the Antilles) not sailing from the US. It is primarily targeted at the European market with direct flights available from Spain and France to join this cruise,avoiding flying through the US (and the hassle of US immigration just to leave the same day or next day).

I agree with an neigh, the Musica class are my preference. For those that have perhaps experienced the Divina, don't expect the same, it will be a different experience as it won't have a lot of the adjustments for the North American market.

I've fancied doing the repo to or from there but one way flights are very expensive and using Avios to overcome that issue doesn't seem that likely.

The Musica to Point-A-Pitre, Guadaloupe was one of the cruises we had been looking at with a great itinery despite having been there on the Poesia T.A a while back. But the one way flight back to the UK is ridiculous in price and many have at least two changes so it looks like that one is out.

I also looked at pricing on a Dec/January Musica Southern Caribbean cruise. Travelling solo in an inside cabin was not to badly priced. However, flying to Martinique was more than the cruise and would have taken all day. Ideally, I would like to fly into Martinque a few days before or stay a few days after the cruise to enjoy Martinque just a bit. If I can figure out how to get around the airfare. I can fly into of Romana, DR to catch the ship but then I miss the opportunity to stay on Martinque a few days. . . . My vacations are already all booked for 2014. Perhaps I will try to grab one od the last Musica Caribbean cruises for the season in early 2015. If I can overcome the issue with the high air fare.

The Musica was my first MSC ship and I may have been spoiled by her. The wine bar was my favourite spot. I am especially sensitive to lighting and background music. The wine bar of the Musica had sumptuous decor, gently bathed in pools of flattering light, free nibbles delivered, top-class service all-round and the best wine glasses ever. The music was either the greats - Louis. Ella, Nat, Sinatra with superb acoustics or a live player at the grand piano. I could leave home today and live there permanently. I don't need a cabin.

I loved my time on the Fantasia but that class (including the Divina) is a little too big and impersonal for me - except perhaps for a long cruise when I might outgrow the limits of a smaller ship. I also have a soft spot for the Armonia and the Lirica class but I feel out of sympathy for them rather than any deserved affection. The buffet on the Opera was surprisingly as bad as on the Armonia - best avoided.

I should return to a Musica class ship!

The flights from the UK for the 'Antilles' sailings are difficult and expensive. I have looked many times. Some of those repo itineraries make me drool though. I don't drool often.

I believe this will be the third year MSC will be doing an alternative Caribbean itinary (think they refer to it as the Antilles) not sailing from the US. It is primarily targeted at the European market with direct flights available from Spain and France to join this cruise,avoiding flying through the US (and the hassle of US immigration just to leave the same day or next day).

I agree with an neigh, the Musica class are my preference. For those that have perhaps experienced the Divina, don't expect the same, it will be a different experience as it won't have a lot of the adjustments for the North American market.

I've fancied doing the repo to or from there but one way flights are very expensive and using Avios to overcome that issue doesn't seem that likely.

Get involved in the April 2016 repo from there to Genoa. Over Easter. Decent price. I'm seriously considering it because it's 16 nights but a Saturday departure plus Easter means only 10 days from work. :D

And I've just checked flights for the same day in 2015 and Corsair from Orly to Martinique is £320 one way. Genoa back by BA on avios and to Orly on Avios and it's looking a bargain!

Edited by moomoocow

Get involved in the April 2016 repo from there to Genoa. Over Easter. Decent price. I'm seriously considering it because it's 16 nights but a Saturday departure plus Easter means only 10 days from work. :D

And I've just checked flights for the same day in 2015 and Corsair from Orly to Martinique is £320 one way. Genoa back by BA on avios and to Orly on Avios and it's looking a bargain!

That sounds great. Last time I was looking at flights it was around £700-800 with Air France from CDG. Was costing around the same as a return. There are plenty direct flights to Paris from Edinburgh and I'm sure getting to Orly can't be that hard. Very, very tempted to book after all only £100 deposit - although never booked a cruise quite that far in advance before. Boss won't have a blue fit at the amount of annual leave required either.

Edited by AmoMondo

When we get back from Divina first week in August we'll be gold so I'm choosing our next two cruises and booking. This is highly likely the second cruise and the first will either be a back to back final two weeks in Dubai before they tootle off to Oz (1st to 14th Feb next year) or the 10 day Divina directly after its repo back from the med (11th November 2015). Both include flights, both are well priced, both promise decent weather and I will be able to use my Armonia downgrade discount so they will be very very cheap.

Ideally I'd like all three but Mr Moo would disown me. I could get Mummy Moo to contribute but then she'd want to go too and it wouldn't be a holiday anymore.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'd forgotten about your great downgrade deal. They all sound brilliant. I've been doing a Dubai cruise for the latest 3 years as it's a great place for winter sun without spending the best part of a day on a plane.

I've looked a bit more at Corsair. The First Class flight from Orly is £700. Yes, £700.

Also an Aurea Spa cabin is balcony with loads of extras including Allegrissimo! Although 17 nights of Allegrissimo would actually kill my liver.

I think that settles it. We can BA back from Genoa with Avios. This is getting booked.

Pulling back to the original subject. . . .

Have any of you ever booked either the Orchestra or the Musica in the Caribbean during the winter months? There are no sea days.

Booked yes, but not sailed - had to cancel as I couldn't get the time off. From what I've seen and read here there are very very few Nglish speaking passengers onboard and very little is posted here about those sailings. Seems mainly Canadians and Europeans that sail on them

I've looked a bit more at Corsair. The First Class flight from Orly is £700. Yes, £700.

Also an Aurea Spa cabin is balcony with loads of extras including Allegrissimo! Although 17 nights of Allegrissimo would actually kill my liver.

I think that settles it. We can BA back from Genoa with Avios. This is getting booked.

Wow that is a bargain airfare. I was on the point of booking last night until I realised that instead of charging 50% solo supplement like they are for now! they are charging 100% on this sailing which makes it a bit pricy. I'll keep an eye on it though, they may well reduce this later depending on how sales pan out.

Thanks for letting me know about Corsair. This is an itinerary I've wanted to do for a while and it's always been the flight that has been the downside.

I just saw that flights to Guadeloupe and Martinique are actually super cheap from Paris. In November, e.g. they cost 484 EUR RT, whereas flights to Miami would cost at least 600 EUR. So this can actually save money on top of avoiding the aggrevation of dealing with US immigration.

Are these two French islands part of the Schengen area?

I would love to visit those islands on the Musica and Orchestra Southern Caribbean itineraries but I would first have to get my mind right bc being an American and a solo cruiser, my time on the ship would probably be relatively isolated. However, there are no sea days on these itineraries which means most of my time will be spent off the ship and on the various islands.

Am targetting late February/early March.

However I sent an email to MSC asking why is the Orchestra's Southern Caribbean itineraries not coming up on the MSCUSA webpage. I never got an answer. I believe if I am set on boarding the Orchestra in Martinque or Roman, I will have to book it thru a European travel agent/website. So. . . . . We will see.

Not news, but I won't call you "slow" ;)

I went on the cruise in December 2013. Nice to visit some new ports for a change. Read my review of the experience for more info.

http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberreviews/memberreview.cfm?EntryID=247135

Edited by Cruiser 4 Life 66