Canadian Scotiabank customers in Barcelona?

The Scotiabank Alliance member banks in Spain are Barclays and Deustche Bank.

As a Canadian Scotiabank customer, have you used a Global ATM Alliance bank to withdraw euros and not charged surcharges or the international access/withdrawal fee? If so, where did you find a branch or ATM?

YES! I can absolutely help you. We did exactly this in Barcelona; ATM's are located in bank branches, on the street and in Malls - you will see them. It was quick, easy, and painless (well, except to our chequing account!!) to withdraw Euros. We specifically sought out Barclays ATM's/banks as you said and were not charged a foreign transaction fee because of the affiliation with Scotiabank. Awesome!

You can look up Barclay's branches in Barcelona using Yahoo or Google - I just did and lots of hits came up, but I'm not sure they would mean anything to you since the addresses are in Spanish, nor do I know the city that well. We did spend 5 days there and had no trouble withdrawing money. :) I'll leave the searching to you.

Have fun!

Thanks, Karen!

This is exactly what I wanted to hear! I usually pick up euros at our local branch and carry too many with me.

We've rented an apartment for a week before our cruise, in the Gothic district just off the Ramblas, in a 'secure' building that wouldn't have a safe, not that a hotel safe is necessarily safer. Knowing that it will be easy to get more euros before the cruise will ease my mind in a city so well known for pickpockets! We've cruised in Europe before, didn't use ATMs because I don't like the fees, and never had a problem carrying cash safely. This is our first trip to Spain with Alliance ATMs so readily available! In some countries, especially in port for a day, they're often impossible or would take to long to find. Besides, the boards say the rate is better at ATMs in Europe, especially without the withdrawal fee.:) Cheers!

^ You are welcome, glad to help! We enjoyed Barcelona so much. Yes, we were concerned about the pickpockets too, but we held our money close and were never bothered. Our hotel didn't have a safe either - a little concerning like you said, but we dealt with it.

We did order some Euros here before we left, so we could hit the ground running but in any event, there are ATM's at the Barcelona airport. One day in Italy we panicked and made the bad decision to charge some Euros to our Visa card. Wow, that one hurt. Don't do that! LOL We saw the bill, took our Euros, thanked the clerk, cried, and left. :D ATM's are the best choice.

^ You are welcome, glad to help! We enjoyed Barcelona so much. Yes, we were concerned about the pickpockets too, but we held our money close and were never bothered. Our hotel didn't have a safe either - a little concerning like you said, but we dealt with it.

We did order some Euros here before we left, so we could hit the ground running but in any event, there are ATM's at the Barcelona airport. One day in Italy we panicked and made the bad decision to charge some Euros to our Visa card. Wow, that one hurt. Don't do that! LOL We saw the bill, took our Euros, thanked the clerk, cried, and left. :D ATM's are the best choice.

Very reassuring. We haven't needed to withdraw euros in Italy but didn't notice any Scotiabank Alliance ATMs there. No worries, no cash advances for us!;)