Carnival makes me sooo MAD!

kmcdonald

I have been wating to use this type of line. I can't wait in fact.

These so called blanket contracts are getting ridiculous in all areas of business. No one wants to take responsibility anymore, and they want to strip us of our rights under Federal, State and local laws.

Unfortunately, you were fleeced big time at the luggage repair. Go back and talk to them about the high price and the fact that you are not covered with insurance. Never know.

Additionally, check out the various consumer groups in your area regarding your topic. There are usually other steps afforded you. Luck to you.

In all our 11 cruises and countless flights, we've only had minor damage to one piece of luggage -- the wheel came loose. It was on a Royal Caribbean cruise out of Ft. Lauderdale. The damage ocurred before the luggage was delivered to our stateroom. We didn't file any claim on it; my husband fixed it himself when we got back home. Our luggage has actually been on more cruises and flights than we have -- I've loaned out our luggage several times to friends & family. It's a Bill Blass set from Sam's Club, and we sure didn't pay much for it. I can't imagine paying $20 per piece for a repair estimate. What a racket they have there!

i have very expensive luggage and i have good ones, and i also have very nice luggage, the very nice ones travel with me, when someone else have to touch them, the expensive one only travel with me if i am going to be the only one handeling my bags, that way if something happens i don't feel so upset about it.

Okay, now I'm getting nervous. We're scheduled on the Glory leaving Port Canaveral on Aug. 20. Any ideas about insurance? What does anyone recommend for good overall insurance, to include luggage damage?

Any reputable cruise travel insurance will encompass luggage.

Okay, now I'm getting nervous. We're scheduled on the Glory leaving Port Canaveral on Aug. 20. Any ideas about insurance? What does anyone recommend for good overall insurance, to include luggage damage?

www.insuremytrip.com is a great way to compare insurance companies. Many use TravelGuard,Travelex and CSA.

It's not just airlines and cruise ships that damage luggage. Last year I traveled on Amtrak and had the frame bent on a fairly new suitcase. Even though it is bent it still stands ok and holds everything. Guess it's like a new car. The first ding is always the worse.

OK, OK, you guys make me feel bad for complaining about $300.00 worth of luggage!

I'll bite the bullet and buy cheap stuff. I still love cruising and would pack my stuff in a cardboard box before I stopped cruising!

Live and Learn!

Don't feel bad. You have a right to be ticked off. They destroyed your bags. You have to try really hard to tear the nylon denier fabric on a bag. But as you found out (and others have found out even with insurance) the amount you can recover is minimal. I travel frequently and have come to view bags as having a relatively short useful life. I'm not a big fan of "cheap" bags....the zippers are of really low quality and break after a few uses. It's better to keep an eye out for sales/overstocks of higher quality bags. That is, don't buy them when you absolutely need one for a trip in three weeks. :)

When we got our luggage delivered to our room the first day of our Glory cruise, mine was damaged.Don't know if Carnival did it or the people on the bus that took us from the airport. My suitcase has a lifetime warranty so I had it fixed when I got home.

What are the odds?

1 cruise, 3 bags destroyed.

Vs.

44 cruises, 0 bags destroyed

1 of those bags went thru 25-30 cruises and close to a million air miles before the wife threw it away on me.

Amazing the different experiences we can have doing the same thing.

Dan

My thoughts exactly, Dan. However, you are so much gentler than I would be. :D Given the "randomness" of baggage handling, I'm amazed ALL 3 bags from one pax were destroyed beyond repair on the same cruise. Kind of like having your home burglarized, your car stolen at work, and being robbed at gun point while walking to the police station, ALL on the same day. :rolleyes:

I buy cheap luggage. Years ago bought American Tourister at Walmart. For $39.99 I got large rollaway, medium rollaway, and small carryon (holds my puter, camera, documents and toiletries). The whole thing fits together, one on top of the other, to make self-assist debarkation a snap. :) Many cruises, many flights, many car trips - not ONE single incident !

They still look pretty good too ! Just lucky I guess. ;)

These so called blanket contracts are getting ridiculous in all areas of business. No one wants to take responsibility anymore, and they want to strip us of our rights under Federal, State and local laws.

Carnival is not registered in the United States so our Federal, State, and local laws don't apply.

Carnival is not registered in the United States so our Federal, State, and local laws don't apply.

True, Carnival's SHIPS are not registered in the United States so the operation thereof is subject to the laws of the country in which they are registered.

However, Carnival Corporation itself is registered on the NYSE and has corporate headquarters in Miami, Florida and you better believe they are subject to Federal, State and local laws.

Putting a disclaimer in tiny print on the back of a ticket contract doesn't NECESSARILY eliminate the responsibility for the liability of that product(e.g. parking lots). The problem the OP of this thread has are damages so low that they don't justify legal action to gain recovery.

True, Carnival's SHIPS are not registered in the United States so the operation thereof is subject to the laws of the country in which they are registered.

However, Carnival Corporation itself is registered on the NYSE and has corporate headquarters in Miami, Florida and you better believe they are subject to Federal, State and local laws.

Putting a disclaimer in tiny print on the back of a ticket contract doesn't NECESSARILY eliminate the responsibility for the liability of that product(e.g. parking lots). The problem the OP of this thread has are damages so low that they don't justify legal action to gain recovery.

If the damages are so low they don't justify paying attorneys to sue, why doesn't Carnival just settle? Have you ever even heard of Carnival being sued outside a class action suit? When you pay money to go on a cruise with Carnival or any cruise line, you in effect enter into an agreement with Carnival that you will abide by and understand their rules and regulations. Carnival is policed under the SEC regarding money not cruise rules. That's why you can't sue Carnival for not being ADA complient.

If the damages are so low they don't justify paying attorneys to sue, why doesn't Carnival just settle? Have you ever even heard of Carnival being sued outside a class action suit? When you pay money to go on a cruise with Carnival or any cruise line, you in effect enter into an agreement with Carnival that you will abide by and understand their rules and regulations. Carnival is policed under the SEC regarding money not cruise rules. That's why you can't sue Carnival for not being ADA complient.

Some interesting reading here on ADA compliance for foreign-flagged ships that call on U.S. ports

http://www.cruisecritic.com/excite/news/news.cfm?ID=1317

June 7, 2005pixel.gifSupreme Court: Ships Must Provide Better Access to DisabledThe Supreme Court ruled yesterday that foreign-flagged cruise ships that dock in U.S. ports must comply with the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). In what is called a "splintered ruling," the Court produced what was essentially a 6-3 decision, though a slimmer 5-4 decision applies to certain points of the case; this overturns a ruling by a U.S. appeals court that held that foreign-flagged ships were not covered by the ADA.

The ruling will likely affect new-builds more than existing vessels, as the Court stressed that ships must still comply with international safety regulations, and that the ADA should not be construed to conflict with those standards (physical changes, such as widening doors or installing elevators, can threaten a ship's seaworthiness). The justices deferred to lower courts to decide the extent of "readily achievable" changes required to prevent international discord and conflict with safety laws.

The suit (Spector v. Norwegian Cruise Line Ltd.) was filed by three disabled passengers who sailed on NCL ships in the late 90's; the passengers maintain that they paid extra for handicapped-accessible cabins, but were not properly accommodated. Thomas C. Goldstein, who argued the passengers' case before the Supreme Court, told the New York Times that the decision would require "straightforward changes" such as grab bars, lower water fountains and the elimination of surcharges on accessible cabins.

In a statement, NCL said that it welcomed the ruling and was "committed to providing the most accessible ships in the cruise industry."

Some interesting reading here on ADA compliance for foreign-flagged ships that call on U.S. ports

http://www.cruisecritic.com/excite/news/news.cfm?ID=1317

June 7, 2005pixel.gifSupreme Court: Ships Must Provide Better Access to DisabledThe Supreme Court ruled yesterday that foreign-flagged cruise ships that dock in U.S. ports must comply with the 1990 Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA). In what is called a "splintered ruling," the Court produced what was essentially a 6-3 decision, though a slimmer 5-4 decision applies to certain points of the case; this overturns a ruling by a U.S. appeals court that held that foreign-flagged ships were not covered by the ADA.

The ruling will likely affect new-builds more than existing vessels, as the Court stressed that ships must still comply with international safety regulations, and that the ADA should not be construed to conflict with those standards (physical changes, such as widening doors or installing elevators, can threaten a ship's seaworthiness). The justices deferred to lower courts to decide the extent of "readily achievable" changes required to prevent international discord and conflict with safety laws.

The suit (Spector v. Norwegian Cruise Line Ltd.) was filed by three disabled passengers who sailed on NCL ships in the late 90's; the passengers maintain that they paid extra for handicapped-accessible cabins, but were not properly accommodated. Thomas C. Goldstein, who argued the passengers' case before the Supreme Court, told the New York Times that the decision would require "straightforward changes" such as grab bars, lower water fountains and the elimination of surcharges on accessible cabins.

In a statement, NCL said that it welcomed the ruling and was "committed to providing the most accessible ships in the cruise industry."

Isn't that pathetic? In other words, the courts ruled "pretty please make your new ships complient?". I guarantee you this was a press release by the cruiselines and not the ADA and I bet the ADA is unhappy about it.

OK, OK, you guys make me feel bad for complaining about $300.00 worth of luggage!

I'll bite the bullet and buy cheap stuff. I still love cruising and would pack my stuff in a cardboard box before I stopped cruising!

Live and Learn!

Glad to see you have a sense of humour even after some of these people flamed you for having 3 pcs of damaged luggage... LOL

Keep cruising !

Live and Learn!

i love your response! a lot of people have just left in a huff under the pressure, but you took a lickin' and kept on tickin'... :D

hang in there...

Just a note...I really, really appreciate this forum and I have learned so much from so many of you. My cruise experience has been greatly enhanced by the information found here. Thanks to all of you for your assistance.

What I don't get is the attitude of some who think that everyone is a "newbie". And that the "newbies" are only online to complain. Did I miss something???? Are there a special few people on these boards that get to criticize what everyone else writes? I have seen these negative posts time and time again from what seems to be the same posters. I am here to tell you firsthand that everything on CCL is not perfect. There were multiple problems on our latest cruise. But, we also had a good time. I think it's helpful to hear about problems others have encountered so that we can all learn from them. So, thank you for voicing your complaint about your baggage handling and reimbursement. And, btw, our next cruise will not be with CCL either due to a huge lack of customer service!!!

Just a note...I really, really appreciate this forum and I have learned so much from so many of you. My cruise experience has been greatly enhanced by the information found here. Thanks to all of you for your assistance.

What I don't get is the attitude of some who think that everyone is a "newbie". And that the "newbies" are only online to complain. Did I miss something???? Are there a special few people on these boards that get to criticize what everyone else writes? I have seen these negative posts time and time again from what seems to be the same posters. I am here to tell you firsthand that everything on CCL is not perfect. There were multiple problems on our latest cruise. But, we also had a good time. I think it's helpful to hear about problems others have encountered so that we can all learn from them. So, thank you for voicing your complaint about your baggage handling and reimbursement. And, btw, our next cruise will not be with CCL either due to a huge lack of customer service!!!

Fantastic post.

If you notice it is the same 3 or 4 posters that ALWAYS gang up on someone who dares to say something negative about Carnival. They love to quote the Carnival rules and regulations (except when it applies to sneaking alcohol on board. Then they are strangely silent). I wont' name names but anyone who reads these boards for a few days can figure it out (hint:they average 15 posts per day)

These posters act as if they own these boards and anyone who dares tread on their territory needs to kept in line. Very childish. These posters are one of the main reasons this board has gone downhill.

Peace out!

Running Dad

(Averaging .26 posts per day and proud)

LOL Running Dad! How brave of you to speak the truth! :D I'm not on this board a lot and don't post a dozen times a day, but I can still name the handful of folks who will try to make someone feel they shouldn't post what they did or say what they said. It actually is a little humorous.

The fact of life is that sometimes stupid things happen and people are going to be upset about it. And all the referencing of the "rules and regulations" in the world won't change that. It's just human nature.

Ok, let the flaming begin . . . :D

Whatever is in the contract about damaged luggage, just remember that you accepted that policy when you booked the cruise. Must be very, very expensive luggage to have cost $60 just to get estimates on repair.

Did you enjoy your cruise? Gotta love it when newbies come here to post ONLY complaints.:rolleyes: But, I am sorry your luggage was damaged.

I thought there was something about if luggage was damaged, it should be taken up with the port authority prior to leaving the pier? Maybe I dreamed that?

Here is the post that I found to be condesending and not in the least helpful. Who does this person think she is??? Does she own these boards? I thought it was an open forum for all to share and exchange ideas and experiences. We all should be able to speak freely without being called names. I'm sorry but running_dad is right, it's extremely childish.

Archived