Egg Crates

eskiemom

This may have all ready been asked and answered but I am lazy today!

Leaving soon on the CB and asked my cruise planner person about gettingg egg crates on the bed. He responded he tried to set it up but that there are all taken on the ship. In addition he stated that he thought Princess was fading them out. Supposedly he was checking into it and going to get back to me. That was 2 days ago.

So does this sound plausible?? One that they are all taken and two that they are going away..................??

Thanks

We have found that most of the original egg crate shaped mats are gone as they get dirty and nasty and cannot be cleaned. They now seem to have reg foam pads. We have had a reg foam pad a couple of times and if they are out Stewart seems to find a way to make the bed better.

We were on the CB in April. We asked our cabin steward for a foam topper when we first got on board. By dinner, it was on the bed. :) Now, I don't think it was the actual 'egg crate', but instead was a foam pad.... It made the bed VERY nice!!

Edited by rgmacm

Hopefully they are phasing out all of the badly broken down egg crate pads & will replace them with the newer pillow top pad. Even better would be to complete their gradual replacement program with the comfortable pillow top mattresses like on the Royal & Regal.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I've had a pillow-top mattress on every Princess cruise I've taken for almost three years, and that's quite a few cruises, ships and different categories. Haven't been on the CB but that includes the Star, Island, Crown, Diamond, Royal and Sapphire.

If you need an eggcrate, they do have thick foam pads.

I've had a pillow-top mattress on every Princess cruise I've taken for almost three years, and that's quite a few cruises, ships and different categories. Haven't been on the CB but that includes the Star, Island, Crown, Diamond, Royal and Sapphire.

If you need an eggcrate, they do have thick foam pads.

Oooh! So if your bed was better on the Star, do you think ALL the beds are better? We only sailed once on Princess, Sapphire, and the bed was horrible:(

Edited by Carole_T

Here's a photo of a new thick queen size pad folded in half on my twin bed. It's much thicker and to me much more comfortable than the old broken down egg crates.

CC doesn't like my normally orientated images and inverts them. :eek: :o

image.jpg.4e45810132f8c2b85c26d68e8e6a2590.jpg

Edited by Astro Flyer

pam you are a lucky duck, I have yet to have a pillow top mattress! I've had the hard as rock bed and the mushy bed and the ever-popular one hard, one saggy and when put in the queen formation is so far away from comfortable, the floor would be better.

my last cruise on the cb, I was told you couldn't pre-order. I think the rep made that up as my upcoming cruise on the sapphire, I did pre-order.

pam you are a lucky duck, I have yet to have a pillow top mattress! I've had the hard as rock bed and the mushy bed and the ever-popular one hard, one saggy and when put in the queen formation is so far away from comfortable, the floor would be better.
Don't know about the luck but for me, it was the norm. This is the Crown from last year:

japyveza.jpg

I have sailed on the CB several times and, with the exception of my first 2 cruises, my mattress has been great. I don't even ask for a topper anymore. When I did need one (and yes, the mattress was almost unusable in 2010), my steward had it on my bed before I went to sleep that night.

I would suggest that you try the bed as soon as you board and decide if you really need a topper, because the CB has replaced most, if not all, of the mattresses. Some people bring their own.

Maureen

Why does this continue to be a topic on Princess? Basically they consistently have horrible beds. I've cruised three different cruise lines and the beds were never an issue....UNTIL our first and (every single one since) cruise with Princess. Don't get me wrong, otherwise I love Princess, but Princess has consistently had the most uncomfortable beds. Yes, sometimes they (the overworked steward) can make it more bearable, but REALLY, Princess. Why do we always have to ask for egg crates or added comfort levels?

Just off the Coral................while it was a new pillow-top mattress, I did ask for an egg crate topper and was given just that, looked fairly new and not just a piece of foam. Super comfortable for my hip & shoulder issues. :)

Why does this continue to be a topic on Princess? Basically they consistently have horrible beds. I've cruised three different cruise lines and the beds were never an issue....UNTIL our first and (every single one since) cruise with Princess. Don't get me wrong, otherwise I love Princess, but Princess has consistently had the most uncomfortable beds. Yes, sometimes they (the overworked steward) can make it more bearable, but REALLY, Princess. Why do we always have to ask for egg crates or added comfort levels?
Bed comfort is very subjective. Just go to a mattress store where they'll have hundreds of different options. :) That said, for me and this is just my opinion, I've never had an uncomfortable Princess bed/mattress. Yet if I cruise on HAL (where I'm a 3-star Mariner) or Celebrity, I know to bring a big bottle of IB because every single time, I get a sciatica flare-up because while soft, they are too soft for me and have no support. Everyone is different but I'll take a Princess mattress over other lines any day.

Because when it comes to a Princess mattress $$ win out over passenger comfort in purchasing.

Yes there are many pillow tops now, but there are still many more reports of bad ones then good ones.

Pretty sad. :rolleyes:

Because when it comes to a Princess mattress $$ win out over passenger comfort in purchasing.

Yes there are many pillow tops now, but there are still many more reports of bad ones then good ones.

Pretty sad. :rolleyes:

I agree...good hotels find a comfortable bed that the overwhelming majority of their guests like. Princess could do the same thing but as you said it's $$. :rolleyes:

I know that bed comfort is very subjective but quality hotels are able to find a mattress that most of their guests enjoy & so should Princess.

Edited by Astro Flyer

I agree...good hotels find a comfortable bed that the overwhelming majority of their guests like. Princess could do the same thing but as you said it's $$. :rolleyes:

I know that bed comfort is very subjective but quality hotels are able to find a mattress that most of their guests enjoy & so should Princess.

like. :)

more people than not dislike princess beds. I was just on the cb in april and it was bad. I figure I can't keep getting old over-used or cement slab beds. I must be due for a good one!

had an awesome bed at the marriot. so good my poor old hip didn't hurt! I very much dislike that everything is becoming creaky on my body!

If you don't want to risk it, just take your own. Walmart has queen size 3" egg crate toppers for $35. We always take one with us, still rolled up from the factory, as a checked "bag", unroll it when we get to our cabin so that it is ready for the first good night's sleep. We leave it with our steward when we disembark. Considering the cost of a cruise, an extra $5 per night (for two) is a very small price to pay for comfort.... no worrying about whether or not you'll be lucky enough to get a Princess topper!

Peg

If you don't want to risk it, just take your own. Walmart has queen size 3" egg crate toppers for $35. We always take one with us, still rolled up from the factory, as a checked "bag", unroll it when we get to our cabin so that it is ready for the first good night's sleep. We leave it with our steward when we disembark. Considering the cost of a cruise, an extra $5 per night (for two) is a very small price to pay for comfort.... no worrying about whether or not you'll be lucky enough to get a Princess topper!

Peg

An excellent idea!

How do you preorder a mattress topper? Just call Princess 1-800?

Try this. It's been a few years snice I've had to use it.

Fax Transmittal Form

To: Princess Cruises

ATTN: Special Services

Number of Pages: 1

Fax: 661 284 4885

Please request cabin steward place an egg-crate mattress topper and a top sheet on queen arrangement bed.

Passenger: Booking Number: Voyage Number: Ship’s Name: Date:

Cabin Number: Thank You

I called Princess just yesterday to request egg crate toppers for out Golden cruise in August and was told they couldn't order it! Granted....with this guy, it was a case of "Porch light's on and no one is home"....if you get my drift :-).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I called Princess just yesterday to request egg crate toppers for out Golden cruise in August and was told they couldn't order it! Granted....with this guy, it was a case of "Porch light's on and no one is home"....if you get my drift :-).

99% of the time they won't be there when you board anyway.

Don't waste your time fretting over it, just ask Stewart when you arrive.

Oh my goodness-I think you spoke with my cruise vacation planner! :p