Drinks package and Spanish tax

The Replenish package is charged at £12.20 per day. The online planner however seems to be adding the VAT to my pre-cruise order. (Oasis out of Barcelona all EU ports of call). My understanding from reading the boards is that pre-cruise purchases should be VAT-free.

Can someone please confirm that this is still the case.

The Replenish package is charged at £12.20 per day. The online planner however seems to be adding the VAT to my pre-cruise order. (Oasis out of Barcelona all EU ports of call). My understanding from reading the boards is that pre-cruise purchases should be VAT-free.

Can someone please confirm that this is still the case.

When sailing from Barcelona, we have had VAT added to drinks from the bar until we have left local Spanish water.. I now believe that if a ship is sailing from a Spanish port and returnig to that port, wherever it goes, the VAT is added for the entire journey..

With the package I guess it is the same situation.. Not the cruise line profits up, but a "local" extra tax???

S and P

Edited by Big Kev

Thanks. :)

I read somewhere that if the package was pre-purchased the tax doesn't apply. Just wanted clarification as it will save some pennies to pre-purchase if that IS the case. Will also mean I pick up the phone (not cheap from the UK) to them.

Thanks. :)

I read somewhere that if the package was pre-purchased the tax doesn't apply. Just wanted clarification as it will save some pennies to pre-purchase if that IS the case. Will also mean I pick up the phone (not cheap from the UK) to them.

Worth checking out for sure.. Many thousands more ppl sail from there, and and both the authorities, and cruiselines should be clear about pre-purchase of any service/goods.

Let us know how it pans out, cos I dont think you will get a correct definitive answer from a normal agent over the phone..

P

Last year this was the case when booked on-line from the US. I even pre-booked the specialty dining to avoid the (21% ?) VAT tax. Since you're from the UK, don't know what applies.

Also, my understanding is that you avoid the tax if a stop/port is a non-euro country.

Ps. To this day I still don't know if the tax applies to excursions. Did not get a clear answer.

do you know what the price of the packages should be in GBP without Spanish VAT - I can only find the prices of the packages in USD? looks like ive paid 26.84 GBP per day for the select package - have i been charged VAT ? Thanks

do you know what the price of the packages should be in GBP without Spanish VAT - I can only find the prices of the packages in USD? looks like ive paid 26.84 GBP per day for the select package - have i been charged VAT ? Thanks

For my upcoming Legend cruise, that is nowhere near Spain, prices starting from £27.45.

Just booked replenishment package for our upcoming cruise on Liberty of the Seas out of Barcelona and it doesn't add up total cost €113.96 which works out at €16.28 per day but on the cruise planner it says €14.80 a day can anyone work this out

Just booked replenishment package for our upcoming cruise on Liberty of the Seas out of Barcelona and it doesn't add up total cost €113.96 which works out at €16.28 per day but on the cruise planner it says €14.80 a day can anyone work this out

I'm suggesting €14.80 + 10%. This would suggest that the 10% is added to the gratuity which I don't think it should be.

Edited by Frankmac