Anyone back from Zaandam Alaska?

justice 1st

My husband and I are anxiously awaiting our 1st cruise ever (and 1st vacation away from our kids - not sure how we'll like that, but I'm sure we'll be creative) icon_smile.gif. We're going to Alaska in August on the Zaandam. There's an ominous silence on the boards about the Zaandam. I've read the mixed reviews re Veendam, Maasdam, Oosterdam and Zuiderdam, but where's our ship? How's the service? Are the employees treated well? How's the ice cream? I'd love any news, but especially good news! Thanks.

icon_smile.gif I have just returned from Alaska on the Zaandam and 1400 people is just the right amount for me. WOW - the refurbishing was a success -the new mattresses are wonderful, pillows soft, sheets smooth & comfortable and the towels are the whitest and fluffiest I have ever seen. The size of the rooms are huge compared to other cruiselines - ocean view cabins are 197 sq ft for example and storage space galore. The service is superb as usual and dining room food great. Pinnacle Grill is worth a first nite visit (1/2 price @ $10). Buffet food varied and lots of it but I preferred the dining room. Room service, quick & reliable, with varied menu and dining room items available also during the times the dining room is open. The ice cream and 'huge' cookies plus late nite snacks in the buffet are marvelous and the chocolate extravaganza is to 'die' for.. and plse don't miss the Dutch High Tea either..(not to mention daily High Tea also). First rate movies on TV and in the theatre, u'll enjoy the 'free' hot popcorn but don't forget to get a 'free' cappucino or expresso before going into the theatre either and the various cookies served with the java are yummy. If u prefer milk simply ask for it in the buffet and keep it in your fridge for later (if u have one that is). The daily drink specials are reasonably priced, varied & great - u actually can taste the alcohol unlike some I have had on other cruiselines. The regular entertainment is good too. My 2 favorite HAL ships are the Zaandam & her sister the Volendam. I wish u wonderful cruisin'! icon_cool.gif :0)

I will ditto all of the above things. We returned last month from a 21 day cruise on the Zaandam and can`t say enough about her. The crew are wonderful, nothing is too much bother for them. The F&B manager...Henk Hoeksta is superb and has lots of different "happy hours" in different lounges. We are booked for 18 days on the Zaandam in Dec. our 5th and 6th voyage on this lovely ship..jean

Hey Justice 1st...I'm glad that you asked for info on the Zaandam. I will be sailing on her on my first cruise with a group of 11 on 7-17-04 and have been looking for info too!

Vancouver, BC I'll be on her just after you too!

Do you have your cabin assignments? Mine is B6210.

CruiseCrazy thanks for all your info too!

Happy cruising to all!

Kim

Hi, Vancouver! My fiance and I'll be celebrating our honeymoon (and first cruise!) on the July 3rd sailing. If the roll call board is any judge, we might be the only 3 CC'ers on board...

-- Rob

Vancouver, auj1fan and rolnickr - I'll look forward to reading your reviews.

Cruise Crasy - Hey! Watch the diet! I think I gained 3 pounds reading your post. icon_smile.gif And I REALLY can't wait to go now. Thanks for getting me all excited again. And thanks, elmorejj, for 2nding that we chose a good ship.

Happy Cruising, everyone!

Sorry icon_frown.gif 'houchin' but probably not back on the Zaandam or maybe Volendam till fall 2005 to Alaska again (I go once at least every yr - luv the place and esp. HAL). I do have 2 cruises coming up but not on those ships. Hope u have a super cruise..:0) icon_cool.gif

Thanks for the great review of the Zaandam! Like the previous poster I was wondering about the lack of info. It was a relief to read how nice it is. I will be going June 19th. Will let you all know how it is when I return. icon_biggrin.gif

kywildcat - we'll be on this same cruise leaving June 19th. We'll be meeting my parents and my brothers and their wives.

I will try and post a review when we get back for the rest of you that are taking the trip later.

Nice to hear that the Zandaam has already had the promised HAL upgrades.

icon_cool.gif

Happy Cruising!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;6;19;11;30;00&timezone=GMT-0600

HAL Zaandam - June 2004

HAL Rotterdam - Jan 2004

RCI Enchantment - Mar 2003

Sun Princess - Sep 2002

Celebrity Millennium - Feb 2002

RCI Radiance - Apr 2001

Sea Princess - Jan 2001

HAL Veendam - Jun 2000

HAL Veendam - Feb 1999

Carnival Inspiration - Apr 1997

BalanceOk, we are so excited about this cruise I can hardly stand it! Alaska is one we have always wanted to do. DH and I are traveling w/ a large group that we know from our business. Don't know the exact numbers but last years trip had 200+ and this one should be about the same. We signed up for our shore excursions yesterday. Have you chosen anything yet? If I don't talk to you again hope you have a great cruise!

Sorry, for the late response. We've been out of town.

We've only booked two excursions and they are repeats from last time:

Skagway - Train Ride

Juneau - Whale watching with Capt. Larry

We probably wouldn't do the train again, but we are going with the family. The whale watching was unforgettable, so we couldn't pass up the chance.

We leave for Vancouver on Thursday. Isn't that great!!!!!!!!!!

icon_cool.gif

Happy Cruising!!

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=111111&cdt=2004;6;19;11;30;00&timezone=GMT-0600

HAL Zaandam - June 2004

HAL Rotterdam - Jan 2004

RCI Enchantment - Mar 2003

Sun Princess - Sep 2002

Celebrity Millennium - Feb 2002

RCI Radiance - Apr 2001

Sea Princess - Jan 2001

HAL Veendam - Jun 2000

HAL Veendam - Feb 1999

Carnival Inspiration - Apr 1997

So glad to hear such glowing reports. DH and I will be sailing on the Zaandam on December 28 to celebrate our 25th wedding anniversary. This will be DH's first cruise, so I want everything to be perfect.

Archived