Norfolk (not the flu!)

udance2

;) I will be sailing on the Maasdam December 17th from Norfolk. I have been reading about less than pleasurable experiences with the departure and arrival in Norfolk. Is the new terminal now in operation? Should I expect snow in Norfolk? How far is it to the airport, I am doing my own air, arriving the day before and will either do my own transfer to the airport or with HAL. If I had read these reviews I probably would not have booked this cruise, the thought of spending a couple of days in rough seas and cool weather does not really appeal to me, however, since I have booked, I want to prepare myself. Any advice you may have is very much appreciated. This will be my 21st cruise.

Welcome to Norfolk! DW and I are local and took a Maasdam cruise last year from here. We enjoyed it so much we are doing it again this November, different itinerary. I cannot do anything about the weather, but I can try to answer some of your questions and attempt to assuage some of your trepidation.

The new terminal is not ready. Think 2006/2007ish. The present terminal is a temporary structure that will keep the weather off travellers. It is low-tech but serviceable. If you arrive at the same time as everyone else, it will be a zoo as the traffic flow is not set up for 1500 passengers (times two with departing pax). Arrive when it is dead if you can. (1:30-3:00PM). I am sure someone will chime in with a horror story. (That was not an invite)

Snow is possible but rare here. Consider it unlikely.

Airport to Terminal: less than 30 minutes. Probably a lot less, but driving conditions and traffic make estimating a toss-up.

Sea conditions will probably be noticeable the first sea day and last sea day. Altantic Ocean; Winter. Oh well. As you are an experienced cruiser you understand how that works. DW is a little susceptible to mal de mer and had no problems. If it is sunny, it will be nice by the Lido pool as the overhead glass lets it warm up.

There is probably a roll call for your cruise. I check there for questions like these, too.

Cheers

MarkB

Thanks for your words of wisdom, makes me feel better, I wasn't sure if I had to wear boots, if so why bother leaving the cold white north!. This will be my 12th cruise with HAL and I will try and remember to bring my medallion for the Mariners' get together. I have just joined this site so will definitely be looking up the "roll call"

Thanks again.

Welcome to Norfolk! DW and I are local and took a Maasdam cruise last year from here. We enjoyed it so much we are doing it again this November, different itinerary. I cannot do anything about the weather, but I can try to answer some of your questions and attempt to assuage some of your trepidation.

The new terminal is not ready. Think 2006/2007ish. The present terminal is a temporary structure that will keep the weather off travellers. It is low-tech but serviceable. If you arrive at the same time as everyone else, it will be a zoo as the traffic flow is not set up for 1500 passengers (times two with departing pax). Arrive when it is dead if you can. (1:30-3:00PM). I am sure someone will chime in with a horror story. (That was not an invite)

Snow is possible but rare here. Consider it unlikely.

Airport to Terminal: less than 30 minutes. Probably a lot less, but driving conditions and traffic make estimating a toss-up.

Sea conditions will probably be noticeable the first sea day and last sea day. Altantic Ocean; Winter. Oh well. As you are an experienced cruiser you understand how that works. DW is a little susceptible to mal de mer and had no problems. If it is sunny, it will be nice by the Lido pool as the overhead glass lets it warm up.

There is probably a roll call for your cruise. I check there for questions like these, too.

Cheers

MarkB

I was on Maasdam in Nov last year. The ship was late coming into Norfolk. We could not board until 4:00 pm. Rough seas 20-30 ft waves. We were late to our first port because of those seas before rounding FL. Still enjoyed most of it. Rough coming back but not as bad we made it back in time for next group.

We did the Norfolk cruise on the Maasdam last February. We drove down the day of the cruise and arrived at the pier around two o'clock. Absolutely no line when boarding. We loved the cruise so much we are now booked for March 3rd of 2006. We did have a few rough days going out but I took my bonine every morning and had no problems. We missed Half Moon Cay because of sea conditions but that didn't surprise me. After reading the boards, this seems to be common. I was disappointed, however, because it was our first HAL cruise and I was very anxious to see Half Moon Cay. Maybe we'll be luckier in March. Despite the rough seas and missed port, I loved going out of Norfolk. The roll of the ocean lulled me to sleep each night. Enjoy your cruise and if I can answer any other questions, please ask.

;) I will be sailing on the Maasdam December 17th from Norfolk. I have been reading about less than pleasurable experiences with the departure and arrival in Norfolk. Is the new terminal now in operation? Should I expect snow in Norfolk? How far is it to the airport, I am doing my own air, arriving the day before and will either do my own transfer to the airport or with HAL. If I had read these reviews I probably would not have booked this cruise, the thought of spending a couple of days in rough seas and cool weather does not really appeal to me, however, since I have booked, I want to prepare myself. Any advice you may have is very much appreciated. This will be my 21st cruise. Thanks :)

:) Prepare yourself for a wonderful Holiday aboard the Maasdam. We did the Holiday Cruise last year (Christmas & New Year's) and had a wonderful time. We departed Dec. 22 and there was not a snowflake in sight! I wore a lightweight velour jacket/pant set and was almost too warm. You say you are arriving the day before ... if it was me I would leave the hotel early and be first in line to board and enjoy every minute on this wonderful ship! As this was my first cruise, I did not know if I could get seasick or not, so I came prepared with wristbands, meds, etc. Yes, the waters are rough the first day or so out and back -- but I was not bothered at all. If you have cruised before, then I doubt you will be bothered either. We loved our cruise so much we are booked again on the Maasdam this year for Thanksgiving Holiday. ENJOY!

Linda & Vern - eagerly awaiting Nov. 16th!

CDRMark covered all the major points for you. We sailed out of Norfolk this past Feb. and arrived pretty late at the terminal...we may have been the last few to board. The process was painless and went very smoothly. Everyone was efficient and friendly. We missed the life boat drill, but they have a follow up.

The sea is indeed 'tricky' on the way down to the Caribbean and back. We had particularly rough seas with hurricane winds, so we were not able to stop at HMC, which was a major bummer. Once you reach Caribbean waters, everything is smooth and you'll forget the bad spells, if any.

The staff on the ship is great. I think you will have a wonderful trip.

Enjoy the anticipation!!:)

We will be on the Maasdam also on December 17 -- see you there!

And, anyway, how else do you know you are on a ship if the seas don't remind you of their presence now and again? Without the ocean, and some of that movement, you would be at a very small and confining resort. In the middle of the ocean, a ship is great, even if the space is efficient and compact. You have to ocean to watch and listen to. You have the ports without packing and unpacking.

Many thanks for all the great info and the advice on clothing when boarding.

Rough seas do not concern me, I have experienced bad weather, (skirting hurricanes) and missed ports. This is my 21st cruise (#12 with HAL) and I have been to all the ports, it is the cruise life I enjoy. I have done a few Christmas cruises and HAL always make it special, with decorations on the cabin doors and beautiful Christmas trees throughout the ship.

Now, if only there will be a dancer on board it will be perfect!

Archived