Would the real Prinsendam please stand up?

FlyingCloud

Dear fellow cruisers:

I have the fall transatlantic booked on the Prinsendam. In checking out the reviews for this ship, I find that people either say that she is an intimate and classy ship, or that she is broken down and in poor shape. I realize that some of these reviews are from 2002, when Prinsendam was somewhat rushed into service prior to her renovations being complete.

However, I have also seen recent reviews (May 2004) that cite leaking pipes, plus others that cite broken furniture, worn carpets, etc.

I like the idea of a small ship with class for the transatlantic, however these reviews do concern me.

Just as a point of reference, this will be my 8th cruise, with three prior cruises on HAL and two cruises on X.

I need some additional options, please. Thanks!

Flying Cloud

Next Cruise: ms Prinsendam -- 11 night Transatlantic Crossing

Enjoy your trip -- Travel by Ship!

Flyingcloud,

Hunt back a page or two and read what Iknick had to say about the Prinsendam. He was on it for the Transatlantic to Lisbon just recently.

We cannot wait for our trip. I have a friend who sailed her early in 2003 and loved the ship and every minute of her cruise.

Jennie.

The next cruise is always the best!

3RD OCTOBER, 2004 PRINSENDAM

countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=228b22&cdt=2004;10;03;17;0;00&timezone=GMT+0100

What you're reading is peoples responses and not the ship.

Case given: on my crossing, the TVs in the gym were not working. My attitude was 'so what, I could still use the tredmill'. A friends response was 'the world had ended'.

No matter what, the TVs in the gym were on the fritz.

40 cruises: mainly Cunard, Carnival, HAL, NCL, RCI, Starclipper, Seabourn. ~511 days total, ~325 on HAL

Dear lknick and Aussie Gal:

Thanks for your responses. They do much to put my mind at rest. I've been looking for a smaller ship that's actually a ship as opposed to a floating resort and it looks like I've found my wish.

lknick -- how was the weather on your cruise? Were you able to sit outside? You stated that Prinsendam was very stable, which is mildly disappointing to me. I'm actually looking for some motion to make me feel like I'm at sea.

Thanks again.

Flying Cloud

From New York to the Azores, the weather was cool. No one wore shorts until that time. The Lido pool area was cool and windy as there was no cover and I wore a jacket sitting by the pool. It was early May.

One night, my lady states she was rocked to sleep by the ship movement. Don't know, as once my head hits a pillow, I'm asleep.

At one point, we detoured around a low pressure area and even so, had some fairly rough seas. Some complained of sea sickness [the apples and ginger was out] but it never slammed us around on walking.

It definitely felt like a ship. In comparison, on last falls Oosterdam crossing, the seas were about the same, but the Oosterdam did some hopping and jumping.

40 cruises: mainly Cunard, Carnival, HAL, NCL, RCI, Starclipper, Seabourn. ~511 days total, ~325 on HAL

I spent two weeks on the P-dam in August of 2003. I'd sail on her again in a minute.

My observation is that some folks get irate at thnigs that don't bother others (mia culpa!).

The P-dam is small, has a great staff, and met my needs. If you are tolerant of itty bitty cracks in tile, worn carpet, a 2.7 millisecond delay in getting more food.... you will do fine. I will add that, as you know, you will find all these things on every ship).

The next time the P-dam goes where and when i want, I will be on her and happy.

zeke

Hi!

We enjoyed the Prinsendam so much on our transatlantic cruise to Lison from May 7 to May 17, that we are planning on doing her return voyage in November.

This is truly an elegant ship; much different than the other six HAL vessels we have sailed on. If you like classic surroundings, spacious cabins, excellent food and a very friendly staff, you could do no better than book a voyage on her. Of all the HAL ships, and other ships we have sailed on, this is truly our favourite.

Best regards,

Carol Ann Westbrook

Carol Ann Westbrook

Carol Ann:

Thanks for the recommendation. I'm resting easier now. Hope we get to meet on board...with only 700+ passengers, the odds are pretty good.

Anybody have a tip regarding a good hotel in Lisbon?

Flying Cloud

Flying Cloud

We also have booked for the Transatlantic in November and had the same reservations as you.We have sailed on Maasdam and Veendam and greatly enjoyed those ships. I live in the UK and my travel agent has arranged for me to inspect Prinsendam when she comes into Dover at the end of July. I will post an opinion following that visit. We previously looked at her in Southampton immediately following her transfer from Seabourn and it was obvious that, at that stage , there was still much to be done. We were very nervous about booking this ship, however Carol Ann and others reassured us.

We sailed two segments of the World Voyage in February/March (Sydney to Singapore) on the Prinsendam. Was concerned at first because of discontent of some passengers. However, we didn't find the problems noted by previous passengers, such as leaking pipes or broken televisions. We requested our TV be moved from the top shelf to the bottom shelf and this was done within an hour after the request. Also found our door a bit difficult to push open, and it also was fixed immediately. Couldn't find anything else wrong. The chef was right up there along with John Mulvaney. The staff, officers and captain were friendly and we had excellent service. We liked our trip so much, we scheduled another segment for next year. Can't wait!!!! The Prinsendam is definitely one of our favorite ships and would not hesitate to sail on her, ever. icon_razz.gif

We have just sailed the Prinsendam Med. cruise from Lisbon to Athens. Loved the ship, and will definately sail on her again. Everything was first rate, and they even upgraded us at the last minute. The food was supperb, in all the restaurants. Being a smaller ship, there were never any lineups. Don't worry about not having 'the feel' of ship. We had plenty of roll on our cruise. It just rocks you to sleep at night. The only complaint we had, was the entertainment (but you're not necessarily going on the cruise for the entertainment). We found the entertainment a bit on the 'amateur' side, not as pollished as some other cruises we've been on. But, given the choice of high marks on everything else, and low marks on entertainment, I'd definately cruise on Prinsendam again.

Lynn & Wayne

A note regarding hotel in Lisbon. We booked through HAL at Le Meridien. The rooms were beautiful, and we had a HAL representative in the lobby every day. I would definately stay there again.

Lynn & Wayne

Archived