Prague basic information

I don't know if this is the correct thread or not. If not direct me to the correct one.

I will be going to Prague for 5 days at the end of my Viking river boat cruise in about a month.

Basic questions for people who have been there.

1. Do taxi drivers take credit cards?

2. Should I arrange local tours on the spot from "I hear they all start from the town center" or try to book before hand by looking up tour companies on the internet?

3. Do they have good "Hop-on Hop-off" bus tours?.

4. Are there plenty of money changers around the area to get local currency?

Thanks for any advice on this, Rick

I don't know if this is the correct thread or not. If not direct me to the correct one.

I will be going to Prague for 5 days at the end of my Viking river boat cruise in about a month.

Basic questions for people who have been there.

1. Do taxi drivers take credit cards?

2. Should I arrange local tours on the spot from "I hear they all start from the town center" or try to book before hand by looking up tour companies on the internet?

3. Do they have good "Hop-on Hop-off" bus tours?.

4. Are there plenty of money changers around the area to get local currency?

Thanks for any advice on this, Rick

Hi stromer,

I spent a week in Prague last June. To answer your questions:

1. Do taxi drivers take credit cards? Some do and some do not. For the taxi transfer that we arranged to the airport, the driver accepted CC's but we elected to pay in cash. In terms of getting around Prague, we used the trams - they are great & pretty much cover everywhere you would want to visit. In fact, depending on the ticket type you purchase, your tram ticket will allow tram + metro within a specified time period. You can also buy passes that entitle you to use both the tram system & metro.

2. Should I arrange local tours on the spot from "I hear they all start from the town center" or try to book before hand by looking up tour companies on the internet? It is very easy to arrange tours when you are in Prague - really no need to prebook online. All the tours that we booked (river cruise, Terezin, WWII underground tour, as well as concerts that we attended) we booked when in Prague.

3. Do they have good "Hop-on Hop-off" bus tours?. Yes, they do. However, I think that the trams are a much better (and less expensive) means of travel in Prague. I have not used the HOHO in Prague - I rarely use HOHO's in any city that I visit. Here is a link to the HOHO in Prague: http://www.city-sightseeing.com/tours/czech-republic/prague.htm

4. Are there plenty of money changers around the area to get local currency? Yes, but you will get the best exchange rate by using your ATM card.

Edited by dogs4fun