Just back from the 5/31/2014 Jewel to Alaska

brunolvr

We were in Haven Suite #14512! :D

we will be in 14012!

Thanks for posting the first day daily. We'll be on the Jewel in August! Was the cruise director Jamie DeSousa? She was the CD when we were on the Star a couple of years ago.

thats who the CD was last July on the Jewel.

Sandy..I am really enjoy hearing about your Cruise. It is a shame they could not finish every thing that needed to be done in Dry dock. Loved reading the Daily and noticed that they had a few places to eat that I have never heard of on the Jewel( the last time 2012) Talpan Bistro and Maxims Steak House. They were in the Freestyle Daily. Both had a cover charge. Isn't Cagney's still there?

Thanks for posting the first day daily. We'll be on the Jewel in August! Was the cruise director Jamie DeSousa? She was the CD when we were on the Star a couple of years ago.

Yes, Jamie was our CD.

Sandy..I am really enjoy hearing about your Cruise. It is a shame they could not finish every thing that needed to be done in Dry dock. Loved reading the Daily and noticed that they had a few places to eat that I have never heard of on the Jewel( the last time 2012) Talpan Bistro and Maxims Steak House. They were in the Freestyle Daily. Both had a cover charge. Isn't Cagney's still there?

The page that showed those restaurants was not the right page -- II posted the correct one further down on the page. I don't know how that posted from my "scans". I think that might have been on the "Pride of America".

So that was what it was. What was it like having Suites B|L in Moderno? I read that they did not change the way it looked from when it was just next to the Star Bar. Did you eat or have a Drink in "O"Sheehans? Was it nice! Can't wait until Oct 18th. So glad you had better Weather than the last Cruise on the Pearl.

So that was what it was. What was it like having Suites B|L in Moderno? I read that they did not change the way it looked from when it was just next to the Star Bar. Did you eat or have a Drink in "O"Sheehans? Was it nice! Can't wait until Oct 18th. So glad you had better Weather than the last Cruise on the Pearl.

It really wasn't any different having breakfast/lunch in Moderno than it was in Cagney's except on embarkation day the place was packed -- we had to wait for a table. It's not nearly as large as Cagney's. We ate 5 of our breakfasts in Moderno but only 1 lunch. We just didn't care for their lunch menu -- been there, done that -- just kinda' boring with not that many choices for lunch.

We did enjoy O'Sheehan's. We had one breakfast there, 4 lunches and 1 late night snack. The food was good and we had great service. The hamburger/cheeseburger in O'Sheehan's was bigger and better than the one for lunch in Moderno.

Amarval that was the suite we were in this past week!!! We loved it!

Hi Cherie. I was so glad to finally meet you and your family. You have 2 very lovely and polite daughters! And it was fun having dinner with your family and Captain Kenneth.

I hope all of you had a good time. What did you end up doing in Victoria?

I hope our paths cross again sometime in the future!

The main dining room menus appeared to be the same as they were on our September cruise on the Pearl.

The only thing different that we noticed was that desserts had a separate menu that they showed us at the end of our meal. The first 3 items on the dessert menu changed every night, the others stayed the same.

Also, on embarkation day in September "Broiled Lobster & Red Snapper" was on the menu in the MDR whereas this time no lobster was to be found. "Grilled Garlic Shrimp" replaced it on the menu.

Sandy! I finally got back on here to read your reviews and posts since you've returned from your cruise. We've been out of town for several days, so I've been missing my CC time!

I'm so interested in the change from Cagney's to Moderno for B&L but it looks like you've answered it here and I'll rest easy now, since I know you from our similar cruises over the years, and trust your opinion.

Also, I'm glad to hear you like O'Sheehan's. I've always loved the Blue Lagoon and was a little afraid they were going to do away with some of our favorites, but it sounds like they've kept them and added to them. Yay!

I'll have to look back thru my pictures, but I'm sure I took a picture of the Jewel as you were departing on the 31st. I'll email it to you - if I can find your email addy. Mine is foster.jane@gmail.com - I think that's the same one I gave you several years ago.

How fun that your daughter went with you again. She's hooked now! :D

Last year was going to be Mom & Dad's last cruise "for sure" but here they are, going again with us in September. Dad is 88 and doesn't leave the room much, except to go to Cagney's - er - I mean Moderno's. We also have a meal or 2 (or 4) delivered to us in the suite, just to make it easier for Dad.

Sandy! I finally got back on here to read your reviews and posts since you've returned from your cruise. We've been out of town for several days, so I've been missing my CC time!

I'm so interested in the change from Cagney's to Moderno for B&L but it looks like you've answered it here and I'll rest easy now, since I know you from our similar cruises over the years, and trust your opinion.

Also, I'm glad to hear you like O'Sheehan's. I've always loved the Blue Lagoon and was a little afraid they were going to do away with some of our favorites, but it sounds like they've kept them and added to them. Yay!

I'll have to look back thru my pictures, but I'm sure I took a picture of the Jewel as you were departing on the 31st. I'll email it to you - if I can find your email addy. Mine is foster.jane@gmail.com - I think that's the same one I gave you several years ago.

How fun that your daughter went with you again. She's hooked now! :D

Last year was going to be Mom & Dad's last cruise "for sure" but here they are, going again with us in September. Dad is 88 and doesn't leave the room much, except to go to Cagney's - er - I mean Moderno's. We also have a meal or 2 (or 4) delivered to us in the suite, just to make it easier for Dad.

Hi, Hikini! We had much better weather this cruise than we did last September and I think the Pearl is still my favorite ship. I guess maybe we just expected more updates and better maintenance on the Jewel since we were the 3rd cruise out of her dry dock.

I don't know how much you know about the Haven area and the private sun deck on the Jewel, but usually you can go down the either set of outside stairs and go down to the 14th, 13th and 12th decks and work your way around to the Great Outdoors or anywhere else. Well they had those areas blocked with all kinds of "junk" as they had not yet finished with all of their updates (something to do with the "scrubbers").

Gate locked, couldn't go this way.

10300037_10152494100358139_2114550001925405518_n.jpg

and this way was also locked.

10453470_10152494100513139_246830333796282278_n.jpg

Here's why we couldn't go:

10390480_10152494105578139_7789757778016949445_n.jpg

and this:

10462841_10152494106893139_2026685823581048346_n.jpg

And back behind the seating for the sports court here's what you could see:

10474860_10152494107068139_3550936464003256679_n.jpg

10418293_10152494107053139_1967551515869326094_n.jpg

10296835_10152494107113139_6378010370662881315_n.jpg

10453306_10152494106968139_1799809571043677498_n.jpg

I thought they said they were moving some of the stuff off the ship when we docked in Seattle after our cruise on the 7th. That's why for the first time the ship docked "portside" instead on "starboard side" in Seattle. Something to do with the crane being able to lift the "stuff" off the ship. So maybe all that stuff was removed for the June 7th cruise.

Thanks for clearing up that mystery! I was taken aback by the ship being docked on the "wrong" side that day!

All that stuff on deck makes it look like an episode of hoarders or something! Sorry you had to deal with that inconvenience on your cruise - I can see why some would say they didn't have a good taste in their mouth. That would not have impressed me either.

This will be our second time on the Jewel. We've also been on the Pearl twice. The Star is still our favorite and we were lucky to have cruised on her 4 times. I really want her back in Seattle!