Beer lover in Quebec

Hi,

Exactly a brew pub, just opened :

http://les3brasseurs.ca/

It is a microbrewery, they brew onsite, good choice of beer.

I really enjoy their food also :eek:

One of their locations is right in Old Quebec not far from the Pier.

http://les3brasseurs.ca/eng/location?id=19

It has music, plenty of tv for music videos or sports depending of what is going on !

I am a regular customer here in Montreal...so if you have any questions...:D

Edited by sebas030

While I've drunk & dined in the '3 brewers' before and would do so again, it's very much a chain - French rather than Quebecois - which uses the same recipes in every branch across the world. In toto probably exceeds any reasonable definition of 'microbrewery' by volume of production - it's like Gordon Biersch or the Firkin chain.

Real local Quebecois brewpubs include L'Inox, La Barberie, Microbrasserie Archibald, La Brasserie Generale, La Voie Maltee, La Souche, La Korigane - I hear there's a new one this year too with a really silly hipster name like 'le moustache' but can't recommend that yet one way or another. Sorry, most of the aforementioned don't have an English webpage, but you should at least be able to stick the address into Google maps and see which are convenient to your hotel, planned tours etc.

Brewpubs & craft beer bars seem even more likely than most Quebecois food & drink establishments to have fluent English-speaking staff who know the lingo - you won't have a problem asking for recommendations on styles of beer. Unfortunately I can't give a strong reco on food at any of the above - generally on visits to Quebec we drink beer and sometimes have a snack in bars, but at dinner time it's fancy food & wine for us;-)

L'inox, La Barbarie and La Korigane (the latter which I didn't know before - thanks Martincath!) are all walkable one from each other and from the port area. You could even do your own Beer City Tour.

But this is only if you like to walk a lot! I like exploring our city by foot, so here is what I would do, taking the ship as a starting point but you tell me what hotel you are staying at, I can revise if needed (please be aware - I DID NOT call of their day/hours of operation - you might want to check before to go). Also, I highly suggest that you make a map out of those instructions (write down street names in CAPS and Google Map will create the map for you)

From PLACE DALHOUSIE(Cruise Terminal), Facing the water turn left and follow the waterfront, it turns into the BASSIN LOUISE/Marina area and then you'll see the MARCHÉ DU VIEUX PORT Farmer's Market (long building with green roof). I suggest going through the market, it's always nice. And if you want the best honey, stop at Miel Leclerc booth (my father in law small business and I swear you won't go back to supermarket/industrial honey after that)

Then continue strait from the Market exit through the parking lot and turn left accross the street (in front of the bus station). and walk around the old building (Canada Services building), the GARE DU PALAIS train station is just beside it. Both buildings have a great architecture and the train station is Worth a quick stop to check it out (look up for the stainless glass on the roof).

When you exit the train station by the same door you entered, turn right and continue on that small street to the major intersection and cross it (underneath highway). LA BARBERIE is not far, look for it as soon as that street turns (90 degrees turn).

After La Barberie Pit Stop, go back toward the train station and then cross the street in front of the train station (Charest which becomes Dalhousie) and go up on ST-NICOLAS ST and then continue on COTE DU PALAIS (which is a steep hill). On your left, you will see the HOTEL DIEU DE QUÉBEC, it's North America oldest hospital (it was run by nuns for a long time but now it's government operated).

At the top, you are on St.Jean St. (one of the major touristic street with lots of shops and restaurants). You could get to Grande-Allée either way but the fastest is to turn right on St-Jean St. Continue on that street and you will get to Place d'Youville (street vendors, sometimes shows). You will see the CAPITOLE DE QUEBEC, I love that theatre/hotel look.

When you get to the big intersection cote d'abraham hill), cross the street and turn left (uphill). On your left you will see a very nice fountain donated by the Simon Family for the City 400th Anniversary (but it looks like it has been there forever) and on your right is the Province Parliament (it can be toured free - otherwise just walking its garden with statues is nice).

Continue on GRANDE-ALLÉE, you will see the Manege Militaire de Québec on your left (a fire destroyed it years ago but the front wall is still there) and not far after you will see the L'inox pub on your left.

You are probably hungry by then and I love their European Hot Dogs... paired with one of their beer or even their beer tasting platter! I'm more of a wine person but I like L'Inox beer and unpretentious food; I hope you will like it too.

The next st. after L'Inox is De la Chevrotière, go down that street and you might want to stop at l'OBSERVATOIRE DE LA CAPITALE Observatory.

While the most direct route would be to take Scott St. and St. Claire St. down to Cote d'Abraham; it will be nicer to turn right when you reach St-Jean St (you haven't walk that part yet) back to the highway/cote d'Abraham turn left (going downhill this time) and be sure to keep your left (to stay on D'Abraham otherwise you are going to the highway).

On your right, you will see a set of stairs going down (L'escalier de la Chapelle), use it and then turn left at the bottom (St. Vallier St.) and cross the Jardins St-Roch Park. Turn left on Boul. Charest and then right on Dorchester St. your final destination is on your left (380 Dorchester St.) I have never tried this place but their menus seems nice. You might want to call a taxi to go back to your hotel as you already walked a lot.

This itinerary is almost 6 km (1.5 hr) walk but don't forget that you will stop some places along the way so it's not has bad as it sounds. It will aslo show you a lot of our city.

Julie

Edited by jp2001