My cruise port visit to Malaga: Alcazaba, Roman Theater, Cathedral, Market

BigJon

This was our first visit to Malaga. We were there on the Disney Magic, so we only had a few hours. I took this picture from the ship....

1zp2sxx.jpg

There was a free shuttle that took us from the ship to Plaza de la Marina. We walked down the right side of Paseo Parque toward the Alcazaba. We turned left at the town hall, and walked behind it, and took the elevator up to the Alcazaba. There was a guy that helped us get our tickets (out of a machine), before we walked down the tunnel to the elevator. If you are doing the combo ticket that includes the Gibralfaro, make sure you tell the guy, so he will get you the correct ticket. Once we exited the elevator, I took this picture...

21b1v6e.jpg

The Alcazaba was beautiful. So glad we went.

143nn7q.jpg

I heard another visitor ask one of the Alcazaba employees about if we could walk to a higher point, but we were at the highest point, so you just make your way back down (to the Roman Theater).

t8suw4.jpg

You never knew exactly what you were going to see around each corner. We walked up some steps, and were treated with this incredible view....

imqtyc.jpg

And looking to the left (you can see the top of the Cathedral)

syxkjd.jpg

More to follow....

One more picture of the Alcazaba....

553tjq.jpg

If you don't take the elevator, you may enter from the bottom, near the Roman Theater. This is that entrance...

nd7i4p.jpg

Roman Theater was amazing, and it was my favorite price to visit it......free!

chyeq.jpg

We walked toward the Cathedral, and I took this picture in a garden area behind the church. One local guy was reading the paper while sitting on a bench (he's wearing a white shirt in the center of the picture) , and some others were relaxing on a bench. Great place to take a break.

szc1ls.jpg

Walked around to the front of the cathedral...

mbstmq.jpg

Walked over to Calle Marques de Larios. The ladies loved the shopping. I just sat on a bench, and people watched. Beautiful street.

50p0nk.jpg

next up is the market, and then back to the ship.

Edited by BigJon

We walked around town, and the ladies checked out some more shopping. We came out near the market (Atarazanas), so we walked thru...

2jdkvg9.jpg

After we left the market, we headed back toward Plaza de la Marina. The free shuttle was waiting just on the other side of the marina....

16ifcpy.jpg

We got back to the port, and went thru security....

5mwjth.jpg

Inside the port reminded me of an airport. There were some shops that were open, but we didn't go in them. We were ready to get back on the ship....

ztyzqr.jpg

The port building from the ship....

v63pr9.jpg

Before the ship left, someone mentioned that this was the first time Disney Cruise Line had visited Malaga. So I walked to the back of the ship, and I noticed all of these families....

1kkrr.jpg

It was so cool to see the excited kids try to get a glimpse of Mickey....

2f0bsp2.jpg

Looking back toward the city....

2i7nswi.jpg

And one last look at all the families, waiting to see "the Mouse"!

qstiyw.jpg

We got a really cool send-off, when we left the port. Malaga was a beautiful city. I would love to go back again someday.

2lbypol.jpg

We had heard that the walk from Alcazaba up to the Castillo de Gibralfaro was quite steep so we chose to get off the ship and take a cab all the way up to the Castillo. Up there you can walk on the fortress walls for stunning views and visit a small army museum. Then we walked down to the Alcazaba (the residential palace) with its beautiful gardens. From there we strolled to the Roman Theater, went to the cathedral and Picasso Museum, did some shopping and had lunch along the waterfront. After lunch we walked along the beach and then back to the boat. So very lovely! What a great day.

I think it is so interesting that everyone wanted to see the Mouse boat. We were on the NCL Spirit and I guess it wasn't anything to get excited about!

Your pictures bring back great memories. I hope to get back to Malaga sometime!

• 4 weeks later...