First QM2 crossing in October 2014; help?

Steffisews

Hello, all. This is my first post here. I apologize in advance for repeating any other 'newbie' or other first timers questions, but I can't seem to find answers elsewhere.

My 91 y/o mother and I are fulfilling lifetime dreams by going on the QM2 in one of the Penthouse cabins to Southampton in October, 2014. From there we will be going to London for a few days where we will meet up with my brother. From London we will go via train to Perth, Scotland where we have friends. Perth will be our base, as we have several side trips arranged. We'll rent a car for those. Then return home to Florida via air.

I'm curious about several things.

1. My mother and I are what I call semi-handicapped. Meaning we both use mobility scooters for long distances, and we can't navigate stairs very well. Has anyone seen people on the ship in mobility scooters? Do you know how the experience has been for someone in a scooter? We got the okay from Cunard to take our scooters and not have to be in an accessible cabin as they are small, brand name 'Luggie', collapsible, can easily be stored in our cabin, and we can handle them ourselves. I travel via air extensively with mine.

2. We will be in Cabin 9060 and I'm concerned that we will have lifeboats blocking our view. Cunard says not, but in looking at video found on YouTube and deck plans, it appears there is reason for me to be concerned. Does anyone know?

3. The 2 story suites. We are looking at these as a possibility for upgrading ourselves. With stairs being a bit problematic, does anyone know if you can use the elevator to access the floor where the bedroom is located, and if there is a door to access that level? I would imagine so, but somehow I can't find it on any of the deck plans.

4. Does Cunard frown on taking breakfast in the cabin daily? A personal quirk of mine is that I hate to get up, get dressed and then go to breakfast.

5. We will be on the ship for Halloween. Will there be anything special for that,

or is it not observed?

6. I read you can request special dishes. I adore foie gras. Will I be able to request it? Is there an additional charge?

7. Is there anything in particular I need to be aware of so as not to distinguish myself as a rank newcomer once aboard? I'm a fairly seasoned traveler, but this will only be my 2nd cruise. My mother is an extremely seasoned traveler. She and my late father traveled extensively, and as a family we have lived in rather a few foreign countries. My late father was a geophysicist until he started his own company some years later and we settled in Tampa, Fl. I'm terrified of doing something to set myself apart; even at my age. I speak several languages and unless you are the Devil himself having a particularly bad day, I can usually get along with anyone.

Thank you for any help. I'm SO excited!

Stefanie

:confused:

Hello, all. This is my first post here. I apologize in advance for repeating any other 'newbie' or other first timers questions, but I can't seem to find answers elsewhere. My 91 y/o mother and I are fulfilling lifetime dreams by going on the QM2 in one of the Penthouse cabins to Southampton in October, 2014. From there we will be going to London for a few days where we will meet up with my brother. From London we will go via train to Perth, Scotland where we have friends. Perth will be our base, as we have several side trips arranged. We'll rent a car for those. Then return home to Florida via air. I'm curious about several things.

1. My mother and I are what I call semi-handicapped. Meaning we both use mobility scooters for long distances, and we can't navigate stairs very well. Has anyone seen people on the ship in mobility scooters? Do you know how the experience has been for someone in a scooter? We got the okay from Cunard to take our scooters and not have to be in an accessible cabin as they are small, brand name 'Luggie', collapsible, can easily be stored in our cabin, and we can handle them ourselves. I travel via air extensively with mine.

Hi, Stefanie,

Welcome to the Cunard board :)

Yes, I have. Almost ALL the public areas on the ship are accessible via wheelchair/scooter etc. Even the short sets of stairs on Deck 3 have a lift/elevator alternative. I can only think of two small places (both on Deck 13) where there is no ramp/lift alternative offered.

2. We will be in Cabin 9060 and I'm concerned that we will have lifeboats blocking our view. Cunard says not, but in looking at video found on YouTube and deck plans, it appears there is reason for me to be concerned. Does anyone know?
Lifeboats will not block your view straight out, but they are directly below some Deck 9 suites, as in the case of 9060 (others have the Deck 7 promenade below), and therefore you can't look directly down to see the waves passing the ship.

3. The 2 story suites. We are looking at these as a possibility for upgrading ourselves. With stairs being a bit problematic, does anyone know if you can use the elevator to access the floor where the bedroom is located, and if there is a door to access that level? I would imagine so, but somehow I can't find it on any of the deck plans.
There are doors on Deck 10 (used as emergency exits) that give access to the upper level of the Duplex Suites (opens into walk-in wardrobe areas). You could use the public lifts to go from Deck 9 (the lower level) to Deck 10 (the upper level) but this is not a practical solution I would have thought (first thing in the morning/last thing at night). Far better to stay in a one-level suite, IMHO.

4. Does Cunard frown on taking breakfast in the cabin daily? A personal quirk of mine is that I hate to get up, get dressed and then go to breakfast.
No issue at all, they'd be delighted. In fact you can have ALL meals served in your suite, if you so wish (this has been done before to my certain knowledge).

5. We will be on the ship for Halloween. Will there be anything special for that, or is it not observed?

6. I read you can request special dishes. I adore foie gras. Will I be able to request it? Is there an additional charge?

7. Is there anything in particular I need to be aware of so as not to distinguish myself as a rank newcomer once aboard? I'm a fairly seasoned traveler, but this will only be my 2nd cruise. My mother is an extremely seasoned traveler. She and my late father traveled extensively, and as a family we have lived in rather a few foreign countries. My late father was a geophysicist until he started his own company some years later and we settled in Tampa, Fl. I'm terrified of doing something to set myself apart; even at my age. I speak several languages and unless you are the Devil himself having a particularly bad day, I can usually get along with anyone.

You'll have no issues at all, I am sure.

Thank you for any help. I'm SO excited!

Stefanie

:confused:

I can't answer all of your questions I'm afraid (as you can see :o ), but I've have a go at one or two (above). There are pictures of the interiors of QM2 via the link below, and photos taken on crossings, I hope they help you.

Have the most wonderful time, Bon Voyage! :)

Edited by pepperrn

You can have breakfast in your cabin daily if you wish - it's your holiday! Only exception is disembarkation day.

And please don't worry about setting yourself apart! There will be a mix of guests - some seasoned cruisers, some not. It doesn't matter, just enjoy yourself!

Edited by bkecky

Thank you for the prompt, informative answers, Peppern and Bkecky.

I'm not likely to forget disembarkation day. On my first cruise I didn't put out a blouse to wear, necessitating me getting off the ship wearing my long, long sleeved nightgown off the ship. Tastefully draped over my arm as if it were who knows what. Then, I had to walk to the parking lot and retrieve the car in that fetching ensemble. I'm sure I'm not the first, nor the last to have it happen. It's good I'm not one who sleeps in the nude.

Stefanie, you are right to be excited about what sounds like a wonderful trip on top of your QM2 voyage.

You will not feel out of place at all and l have seen many mobility vehicles on board, she's a huge ship and you'll navigate her well once you get your bearings.

You have chosen a fabulous suite and your butler will l am sure look after your every wish and command.....including breakfast each morning...its just what l choose to do when at sea as l find it more relaxing than having to rush to get ready so early, particularly on a Transatlantic.

I do hate having to think about putting cases out the evening before disembarkation so usually keep a small carry on with me for the essentials...although I've never forgotten to hang on to my leaving attire...but good on you for carrying that off so well.

Hope you and your Mom have a fantastic time.

Best

Judy :)

Thank you for the prompt, informative answers, Peppern and Bkecky.

I'm not likely to forget disembarkation day. On my first cruise I didn't put out a blouse to wear, necessitating me getting off the ship wearing my long, long sleeved nightgown off the ship. Tastefully draped over my arm as if it were who knows what. Then, I had to walk to the parking lot and retrieve the car in that fetching ensemble. I'm sure I'm not the first, nor the last to have it happen. It's good I'm not one who sleeps in the nude.

This happens almost on every disembarkation. Once a gentleman only hat his Tux with trousers and shoes, no shirt. As he hade a 'natural carpet' it looked very irritating. But much tha the gentlemen who had to get at his suitcases at the arrival hall Brooklyn only wearing a Cunard Bathrobe...

Hi Steffisews. Welcome to CruiseCritic!

I have seen scooters on many occasions on the QM2. Most lifts are not huge, but accommodate a single scooter (with a couple people) nicely. The lifts between the Queens room and the Britannia restaurant are the most generous in size. You should be able to enjoy the entire ship (save a few locations) with ease. (And, exploring this ship is one of the greatest joys of sailing on her)

We have visited Perthshire ourselves and found it lovely. Have a wonderful time!

Indeed, you will take the trip of a lifetime---in the grandest style. So fortunate your mother can enjoy this experience with you!

Cruise critic is a great place to learn all sorts of advantageous information. Check out the specific roll call for your voyage.

Happy Sailing!

Hullo Steffisews, Welcome to the Cunard site.

I live south of you in Port Charlotte FL. I cannot answers many of your questions as I travel in an inside cabin, but I can say that I have seen mobile scooters around the ship on many cruises. Most times other passengers will let you on to the elevators first and then fit in around the scooter.

I cannot walk any distance, I have a wheelchair at airport, embarking and disembarking, but get around the ship by making use of sitting down in public areas on the way. I usually say I go from "bar to bar"". I travel solo and sadly the years are catching up with me ,(88years) but inside this old body is a teen ager who wonders "What happened!"

You can get into the theatre and Illuminations via ramps, and viewing from a "handicap" area.

Do not know about Princess suites per se, but I have been in the Holyrood suite and that most definitely will not do as the staircase is circular.

Breakfast in suite, yes, that is certainly possible in a suite. You may wish to discuss the menu with the "attendant" as the normal room service can be rather limited (at least in inside cabins). Dinner of course is best taken in the dining room as you will miss so much of the "atmosphere" , if you eat that in your suite.

Also discuss with Pursers office/tour office staff the arrangements for disembarking, as those with mobility problems do usually have a separate area where they have to wait before getting off.

You will have asked for a table for 2 when booking, if this is your wish then fine, I usually ask for a large table to share, but that is my wish. I live alone , travel solo so meeting and talking with others is a big plus for me . If you are given a table you do not favour, then by all ask the Maitre D' to find you another. You can give him something IF you wish it is not carved in stone to do so, after all it is his job to take care of you - especially in Princess Grill. Gratuities are per person per day and are added to you on board account to be paid at the end of the cruise on your credit card. Yes there are people who give extra cash to staff who take that special care of them , it is up to you , no one insists that you do so.

You may wish to spend some time learning the layout of the ship, so that you can ride your scooters along a wide walkway to an elevator near to the location you wish to visit.

Mobile passengers can leave exploring until they are on board, but others like us need that extra piece of know how to make life easier.

Have a wonderful time, I am going on QM2 in July 22 days visiting Hamburg and Stavanger, then in Sept it will be a visit to QM2 again to visit Belgium and France.

Best wishes

Lynn

I had the same concern as you before I join the QMII for my first cruise and you are right. I think those orange boats are somewhat a nuisance because to some extend they prevent you from seeing below. That's the reason why I chose a Q5 suite on deck 10 mid ship and it was perfect. One year after I was aboard QMII again and I chose the very same cabin. It is really a mystery for me why Cunard has chosen to put most of its Queen's Grill suite on deck 9 with the potential nuisance of the orange boats.

Enjoy your cruise. I am sure you will love it!

Cheers from Switzerland.

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I'll restrict my answers to what in the main has not already been covered.

With regard to penthouse suites there is a full sized table so in suite breakfast is very manageable. The butler will set up the table for you and arrange matters to your liking, they learn your habits very quickly. Honestly, I would be upfront with the butler that you are relative newcomer and he or she will keep you on the right path.

Foie gras certainly was available at no extra cost and I would imagine it still is. You need to request it from your head waiter, special orders for the evening can be fulfilled if you ask at lunchtime generally, sometimes they need 24 hours notice. If you wish foie gras every night say so and they will accommodate if they can.

In my experience, the duplex suite was fine for exiting onto deck 10 from the bedroom but problematic entering from that level because there were two doors the outer one of which could not be opened with the room card. However from reading earlier comments I realise that not all duplex suites have the same issue nevertheless it may be worthwhile checking that angle for your chosen room with Cunard before committing to any change.

There are two large suites forward on deck 10 which are very nice if available and all on one level, the trade off being you are located right forward as opposed to mid-ship in 9060 and the longer distance from the suite to the rear of the ship where you access the restaurant.

Halloween is celebrated yes, but in a limited low key way.

M-AR

[quote=Steffisews;

7. Is there anything in particular I need to be aware of so as not to distinguish myself as a rank newcomer once aboard? :

Off the top of my head...I would say not to disembark in your nightgown. :D

You will love it. :)

Off the top of my head...I would say not to disembark in your nightgown. :D
:) Thank you for a great chuckle! :)

As I've wandered about QM2 I have been unaware of what sort of cabin my fellow passengers are staying in, whether it is their 1st trip or they are a Diamond World Club member. Unless someone tells you (over dinner or when sharing a table in the Golden Lion or Chart Room etc) you'll almost never know. Once or twice I've helped someone who looks hopelessly lost, or has asked for assistance.

I never forget that I was a "newbie" only a few years back, with the whole ship to explore. On my first crossing I missed seeing so much, forgot to go to certain events, So I simply had to board again...

Steffisews, you'll have a great time :) , thank you again Brigittetom :)

Edited by pepperrn

Goodness! Many thanks for the warm and generous welcome. You folks know how to treat a girl.

I don't think I'll EVER forget about disembarkation again :) My mother said that some years ago she saw a man dressed in a sheet retrieving bags. I can't imagine.

Thank you everyone for the advice and observations about those of us with limited mobility. It's hard to accept, but I'm not going to give up and stay home; out of sight and moldering away. My mom is a huge inspiration. She's 91, truly sharp as can be, very active, and has just recently needed a little help with the scooter for large distances. She's always loved to travel, and this trip is special in many ways. The people we are going to visit with in Perth are friends born of a failed romance 30+ years ago. Then, one of the places we are going to visit is the ancestral home of my late husband. I've been there before, with him, about 15 years ago. This visit I'm going to scatter some of his ashes at the ruins of the home where his great grandfather lived before he came to America, and visit with family there.

Oh, thank you for the note regarding the foie gras. Don't want it every day, but it's nice to know I can have it.

SSCAF001, thanks for the note about our cabin and the view. I did call Cunard to see if we could change, but all Penthouse cabins were occupied. I console myself with the thought we likely won't be spending a lot of time on the balcony in late October anyway.

We are so looking forward to this trip. It's truly a dream come true.

Stefanie

On my last two cruises, both with Commodore Rynd, he has stated at the emergency drill that people with mobility issues MUST have priority with the lifts.

Olloesmum

I would imagine he was obviously referring when returning back to your staterooms after the drill.

Cunard state:-

How do I get to my emergency muster station if I cannot walk down the stairs?

At the onset of an emergency all staterooms are checked by the Stateroom Stewards. Any guest requiring assistance will be taken to their Muster Station by a trained Crew Member from the Guest Assistance party via utilisation of an evacuation chair.

Edited by Pennbank

2. We will be in Cabin 9060 and I'm concerned that we will have lifeboats blocking our view... It is really a mystery for me why Cunard has chosen to put most of its Queen's Grill suite on deck 9 with the potential nuisance of the orange boats...

The ship's designer addressed this question in his recently published book. He stated that there was much internal debate on whether the QG suites should be placed on decks 9, 10, or 11. It was ultimately decided to put them on 9 as it was closer to the Grills restaurants.