Same day arrival- Galveston

hamp65

Our flight arrives at Hobby airport in Texas as 8:30 am on a Monday morning. It is a straight through flight. As of now DH is not off the day before. I didn't want to take the chance of losing the fantastic flight fare with Southwest. What are your thoughts? Would you arrive the day of your cruise in Galveston, TX..

Form what I read, hobby is 1.5 hours from the port. I'm concern we will have morning commute job traffic.

We normally arrive a day ahead because we usually drive. Do you think this is ok? I plan to book airport to port shuttle with Cool Tours.

What I would worry about most is mechanical issues with the airline. So many flights are being either canceled or delayed any more. You didn't say what time of year or where you were flying from but sometimes bad weather even in summer can delay or cancel flights.

Our flight arrives at Hobby airport in Texas as 8:30 am on a Monday morning. It is a straight through flight. As of now DH is not off the day before. I didn't want to take the chance of losing the fantastic flight fare with Southwest. What are your thoughts? Would you arrive the day of your cruise in Galveston, TX..

Form what I read, hobby is 1.5 hours from the port. I'm concern we will have morning commute job traffic.

We normally arrive a day ahead because we usually drive. Do you think this is ok? I plan to book airport to port shuttle with Cool Tours.

I think you should do everything possible to fly in the day before. There was just a thread on several people who missed a ship because there was a delay in their short flight from Atlanta. It can be a mechanical problem, a thunderstorm, a delay from another plane.....just too many things can go wrong. To make matters worse, many didn't have passports so they couldn't fly to their first port in the Dominican Republic.

Is there an early evening flight you could catch?

Houston commute traffic is some of the worst, but you're heading against traffic so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Once you get south of the loop it'll be clear up.

By the time you gather your baggage and hit the road everyone should be close to where they're going.

Thanks for all the responses! We don't travel till October, so I thought I should grab our tickets now while they are affordable. Hopefully, DH will be able to manage to get off and I can pay the difference for the day before arrival. I always liked a pre cruise stay to just hang out a little. Any hotel suggestions?

Thanks for all the responses! We don't travel till October, so I thought I should grab our tickets now while they are affordable. Hopefully, DH will be able to manage to get off and I can pay the difference for the day before arrival. I always liked a pre cruise stay to just hang out a little. Any hotel suggestions?

We've stayed at INN at the WATERPARK several times. Good rates, pool free min. golf, and several attractions within walking distance. We like it when we drive since you get free parking, free shuttle both ways to pier, and breakfast. the rooms are big with a kitchen area micro wave and fridge.

Houston commute traffic is some of the worst, but you're heading against traffic so it shouldn't be too much of an issue. Once you get south of the loop it'll be clear up.

By the time you gather your baggage and hit the road everyone should be close to where they're going.

If the OP is flying into Hobby...they will be south of the Loop when they land (I am assuming you are speaking of Loop 610).

If the OP is flying into Hobby...they will be south of the Loop when they land (I am assuming you are speaking of Loop 610).

Totally correct. Hobby is south of 610 and north of Loop 8, right on I-45, so OP will only be about 35 miles from Galveston.