Athens and Istanbul tips needed for return visit

We are returning to both of these ports in the Summer, and have done some of the main things on a previous visit, so we are looking for tips of other things to see in both places. We have two days in Istanbul, with an overnight there. Clearly we haven't seen everything, but want to plan properly and use the time well. Should have about 4 hours in Athens allowing for traffic.

Any tips and ideas welcomed

Sweby

On my second trip to Athens I went on the Corinth canal trip. Was really just a boat ride up the impressive canal, but nice to say I've seen it. I'm back for my third trip this year and think I'm going to explore Piraeus as I've not done that yet.

We did Corinth Canal too on our 2nd visit to Athens - I loved that trip.

In Istanbul, we went to the Galata Tower which was well worth a visit; fantastic views of the city. We then walked over the Galata Bridge & enjoyed seeing the fish stalls. We then walked up to the Sulieymane Mosque - much quieter & more beautiful than the Blue Mosque IMO. Continued walking through the Grand Bazaar & through to the Hippodrome area where we had been previously & just enjoyed some time there wandering & watching. We walked everywhere that day & had such an amazing time - we just love Istanbul.

Other times we have been, we have enjoyed the Topkapi Palace, Blue Mosque, Underground Cisterns, Spice Bazaar & a Bosphorous cruise. I would still jump at the chance to go back again!

Another vote for the Corinth Canal trip, we did it after it being recommended on here by quite a few. Really enjoyed it.

I don't think other cruise lines offer the trip as we had the only boat on the day, and as there were other big ships in port we were told Athens was heaving. So the trip was a good move.

There is not an awful lot in Piraeus, we had a good walk around one year right over to the other harbour and the beach, there is a "noddy" train that takes you on more or less the same route we walked.

If we only had a few hours to spend there and not really enough time to do Athens justice I think we would try the Archeological Museum in Piraeus, it gets good reports on trip advisor.

We did Corinth Canal too on our 2nd visit to Athens - I loved that trip.

In Istanbul, we went to the Galata Tower which was well worth a visit; fantastic views of the city. We then walked over the Galata Bridge & enjoyed seeing the fish stalls. We then walked up to the Sulieymane Mosque - much quieter & more beautiful than the Blue Mosque IMO. Continued walking through the Grand Bazaar & through to the Hippodrome area where we had been previously & just enjoyed some time there wandering & watching. We walked everywhere that day & had such an amazing time - we just love Istanbul.

Other times we have been, we have enjoyed the Topkapi Palace, Blue Mosque, Underground Cisterns, Spice Bazaar & a Bosphorous cruise. I would still jump at the chance to go back again!

Thanks for that, it was really helpful. I think we will do a Bosporus cruise the first morning, then try to do the things you suggest in your first paragraph. We haven't been to the spice bazaar either, that is near the port isn't it. Anyway, we will need to get a good map, and walking shoes too! Is the Galatea bridge the low one over the Bosporus, and if you follow the road up does it lead to the grand bazaar?

Sweby

Thanks for the suggestions, we are still thinking about this. We did the Athens on your own last time and went to the Acropolis, Parthenon, saw the changing of the guard, and had a stroll along some shops. (not sure if this was the Plaka or not.) so I feel the city must have much more to offer. How do the ship tours compare going into Athens, what do they go and see? Also, we used the underground last time in Athens itself, but how long does it take to get from Piraeus to Athens on the underground, is it much quicker than getting the ships 'Athens on your own tour'.

Sweby

Thanks for that, it was really helpful. I think we will do a Bosporus cruise the first morning, then try to do the things you suggest in your first paragraph. We haven't been to the spice bazaar either, that is near the port isn't it. Anyway, we will need to get a good map, and walking shoes too! Is the Galatea bridge the low one over the Bosporus, and if you follow the road up does it lead to the grand bazaar?

Sweby

The Spice Bazaar is not far over the Galata Bridge which is the low bridge over the Bosphorous. Not sure if you walked over it or under it last year but worth doing both just to soak up the atmosphere & see the sights!

We stumbled across the Grand Bazaar after we had been to the Sulieymane Mosque so came at it from a different angle from the way you are suggesting but looking at a map it would seem to make sense what you are saying.

We were going to do a HoHo bus last time we went but I am so glad we didn't & took the walking route - it was just so lovely going where we wanted & exploring the city at our own pace & away from all the traffic!

Thanks for the suggestions, we are still thinking about this. We did the Athens on your own last time and went to the Acropolis, Parthenon, saw the changing of the guard, and had a stroll along some shops. (not sure if this was the Plaka or not.) so I feel the city must have much more to offer. How do the ship tours compare going into Athens, what do they go and see? Also, we used the underground last time in Athens itself, but how long does it take to get from Piraeus to Athens on the underground, is it much quicker than getting the ships 'Athens on your own tour'.

Sweby

15 minutes on the Metro to Thissio for the Acropolis area or one stop on to Monastiraki where the markets are also easy walking to Plaka from either. Yes there are shops in the Plaka, mainly tourist ones but also lots of outdoor cafes - good atmosphere. It's a good 20 minute walk to the station though but straightforward enough. Turn left out of the port, stay on the main road skirting the port and when you see the pedestrian bridge over the road cross over and the station is there. You'll have to build that in if you have an early sail away. Trains run every 5 minutes - you can't go wrong all trains go to the centre.

We wandered into the new Acropolis Museum last time we were there drawn in by the undercroft excavations seen through a glass floor. Entry is ridiculously cheap (even better if you are eligible for a concession) and although it wouldn't normally be my thing we really rated it. Well spaced exhibits, not a bit overcrowded, very modern building and style of museum and a lovely terrace for a drink looking across to the Parthenon. We really enjoyed it much to our surprise.

One other option in Istanbul is the Dolbemache (sp?) Palace. It's on the waterfront in the opposite direction from the Galata Br. and walkable or catch the tram.

Thanks for your suggestions Kruzseeka. I am not sure what time we depart Piraeus. Got a feeling it might be later as its the embarkation port, but we have our back to back day there if you follow me as we are doing two weeks.

We haven't been into the museum. Is it near the Acropolis?

We will look for the other palace in Istanbul, as we have two days there. So could do it on the second day

Sweby

Thanks for your suggestions Kruzseeka. I am not sure what time we depart Piraeus. Got a feeling it might be later as its the embarkation port, but we have our back to back day there if you follow me as we are doing two weeks.

We will look for the other palace in Istanbul, as we have two days there. So could do it on the second day

Sweby

Yes the Museum is opposite the Acropolis. There is a wide cobbled boulevard running around the base of the Acropolis. If you get off the Metro at Thissio you will see the Acropolis and you skirt round this boulevard in an anticlockwise direction with the Acropolis on your left. I think it's just past the Acropolis entrance that the museum is located on your right. It's worth just having a look around the entrance where you can see the undercroft and go along a walkway to look over the excavations even if you don't go in the museum.

With a changeover day you shouldn't have time pressures so will be able to do quite a lot. Enjoy. :)

Sweby

Which cruise line are you travelling with if your B2B changeover day is in Athens?

Edited by Julessmiles

Which cruise line are you travelling with if your B2B changeover day is in Athens?

Oops, I feel caught out. Going with Cunard this time, (one of their cheap deals) It worked out a lot cheaper than Thomson, however we do still have a Thomson one booked for next April to the Caribbean. Am I forgiven!

Sweby

Oops, I feel caught out. Going with Cunard this time, (one of their cheap deals) It worked out a lot cheaper than Thomson, however we do still have a Thomson one booked for next April to the Caribbean. Am I forgiven!

Sweby

Course you are Sweby, gotta try different lines.

Look forward to hearing what Cunard are like :)

Thank you Linda, thought I would ask questions on this site as I know the regulars are so helpful. I'll let you know how it goes. One of the best bits was we weren't going away at all this year, so its a very big bonus.

Sweby