Room service

pippin65

If it's a full meal, about $2. That's the same you tip for your meal if it were served to you in the dining room for an hour and a half by 3 people.

Carnival room service doesn't offer what most consider full meals. It's more sandwiches, fruits, etc.

I am by no means a rude person, but I have to say.....$1 tip....really?????

My husband and I are on a limited income and save a long time to be able to take a cruise, but we always get an envelope and put $50 (ten 5 dollar bills) for tips for room service.

Mostly, we order coffee in the morning with croissants and then go have breakfast. The people delivering the items to our room, certainly deserve more than a one dollar tip. If you were at a nice hotel that has room service, would you only tip them $1? They have carts to push to get the food to your room, on the ship, they have to carry the trays on their shoulders and sometimes have to walk down long hallways to get it to you, and then back to the kitchen. The pay that they get is horrendous, compared to the pay that we make. Can you please rethink this and maybe tip, at least, $2-$3 per order. I'm sure that small amount of money means so much more to the servers than to us cruisers. I always feel better when I give, than when I receive.

Stef

My husband and I are on a limited income and save a long time to be able to take a cruise, but we always get an envelope and put $50 (ten 5 dollar bills) for tips for room service.

Mostly, we order coffee in the morning with croissants and then go have breakfast. The people delivering the items to our room, certainly deserve more than a one dollar tip. If you were at a nice hotel that has room service, would you only tip them $1? They have carts to push to get the food to your room, on the ship, they have to carry the trays on their shoulders and sometimes have to walk down long hallways to get it to you, and then back to the kitchen. The pay that they get is horrendous, compared to the pay that we make. Can you please rethink this and maybe tip, at least, $2-$3 per order. I'm sure that small amount of money means so much more to the servers than to us cruisers. I always feel better when I give, than when I receive.

Stef

You make a great point! I am going to change my tipping habits on my next cruise. I based my $1 -2 last time on reading boards like this one. However, I have learned much since then.

So - I say start at $3, but try to give more.... ;)

Stef

I wouldn't tip room service at a land based hotel. That's what a service charge is for. Even a lowly Sheraton has a service charge for room service. It doesn't have to be a nice hotel, as you describe.

At least on land, they know how to serve a grilled cheese when ordered through room service, unlike on Carnival.

By the way, some room service employees are included in the automatic gratuities, as some of them are part of the dining room's waitstaff. They also have carts and do not have to rely on carrying a tray on their shoulder. It is up to the discretion of the person delivering your order, based on the amount of plates and miscellaneous items being delivered.

Edited by Disconnections

The fact that your grilled cheese was not melted correctly, is not the fault of the room service delivery person.

What percentage of the $12 a day for gratuities do you think that the room service delivery person gets compared to the dining room servers? I don't know the answer to this, but I would guess it is a much lower amount.

When you order pizza from Pizza Hut, there is a $2.50 service charge for delivery. On the receipt, it tells you that the service charge does not go to the delivery person as a tip, and to please tip the delivery person.

Be a little more giving, it actually feels good!!!

The fact that your grilled cheese was not melted correctly, is not the fault of the room service delivery person.

What percentage of the $12 a day for gratuities do you think that the room service delivery person gets compared to the dining room servers? I don't know the answer to this, but I would guess it is a much lower amount.

When you order pizza from Pizza Hut, there is a $2.50 service charge for delivery. On the receipt, it tells you that the service charge does not go to the delivery person as a tip, and to please tip the delivery person.

Be a little more giving, it actually feels good!!!

However, it would be the fault of the chefs who cannot follow proper instructions when given over the phone. On a Carnival cruise, I will not sign that the order was delivered if it ends up being returned to the kitchen.

The percentage from the $11.50 per day would be the same percentage a headwaiter dishes out to his assistants, if the food runner is also part of the dining room waitstaff.

I don't order from Pizza Hut, but it known the $2.50 charge is a delivery charge, not a service charge. A service charge is added to most hotel room service menus. In the quick service pizza industry, a delivery fee is used to cover gasoline used in company vehicles or vehicles being operated by an employee for the delivery.

As per Post #20, you can see that I happily tip for room service, based on the size of the order and if it came correctly. If it was incorrect, that results in an extended period of wait, further resulting in a lesser tip. The post you quoted was comparing room service on land vs at sea.