Room change with Visa Rewards free companion fare

I am currently on hold with RCI while they try to figure this out... figured I would post here to see if anyone has any insight. I'm up to 45 minutes and getting a little antsy :p

If I change my OV cabin to a balcony will that affect my free companion fare discount? The reason I ask is because when I booked the value of the free companion fare was $499, or the price of the lowest available OV. Now the lowest available is priced at $349. I was told to change to a balcony my reservation would have to be re-booked and the companion fare may have to be re-applied for. Does anyone have experience with this? I found some posts on here but there are from 2009 and I wasn't sure if the policy has changed.

I had an interior room and changed it to a balcony room. They will have to rebook it and reapply for your reward discounts. They will have to talk to the department that handles the reward points and values, so unfortunately you are not going to get it resolved tonight. It will be tomorrow when that department is working, but they can resolve it for you, at least they did for me.

Alright I got it resolved. They do re-evaluate the discount if a room change is made. Since I am within final payment I would be charged the full price of the balcony while my companion fare discount was resubmitted at current pricing through the rewards department. So my discount would decrease by $150. I would also lose my $50 OBC I got at booking. I know there is a business reason to why they do this, but as a consumer I'm a little bummed. It's only $200 but I'd rather use that for an extra excursion or something. I'm going to keep our current room which is one of the panoramic rooms on Enchantment. It will make me that much more excited for our balcony on Indy next year. :D

Edited by Melicious23

Alright I got it resolved. They do re-evaluate the discount if a room change is made. Since I am within final payment I would be charged the full price of the balcony while my companion fare discount was resubmitted at current pricing through the rewards department. So my discount would decrease by $150. I would also lose my $50 OBC I got at booking. I know there is a business reason to why they do this, but as a consumer I'm a little bummed. It's only $200 but I'd rather use that for an extra excursion or something. I'm going to keep our current room which is one of the panoramic rooms on Enchantment. It will make me that much more excited for our balcony on Indy next year. :D

Sorry it didn't work out, but I appreciate you reporting back.

By the way, why would you be losing the OBC?

Sorry it didn't work out, but I appreciate you reporting back.

By the way, why would you be losing the OBC?

Honestly I'm not sure. I didn't push the issue since I decided to not change my room because of the loss of part of my companion fare discount. The person that told me that didn't really seem to have a full grasp of the policy and I was quickly transferred so I have a feeling that might not have been correct.

Either way, I am still counting down the days (19!) until my first cruise and will have a great time regardless. It was worth a shot!