Taking Baby on Star to Alaska - Tips??

gdisney

A few more thoughts...if you are going to do the dining room, you'll want to get there at 5:30 if you have anytime dining. The staff can accomodate you and your party better and you will be out by 7pm which is probably close to your little one's bed time.

Also, the little kids club on board will not watch a baby. However, they will allow a parent to accompany a baby in there. Our didn't really take advantage untill she was 14 months, but enjoyed it regardless.

We're actually signed up for early dining - for a table with us 3 and my in-laws. So that should be around 5:30 anyway; though he usually doesn't go to bed till after 8pm. He's done pretty well in high chairs and boosters at restaurants - just give him a spoon to play with and he's entertained for while! So we'll see how it goes...

Didn't know buses in Alaska required carseats...good to know. The only bus we might take is the blue bus to Mendenhall in Juneau; not sure if that law applies as it's a private tour company and not a city bus. Will have to research that...

And thanks everyone for the tips and insights!

Please report back what you hear on car seat in Alaska. We're on 7 night Golden and booked the "land" dog sled independently for all 10 of us including our 22 month old grandson and 4 year old granddaughter and had NO PLANS to bring a car seat on this cruise. Thanks!

Edited by petlover

I'd love to hear back on how things went after you return. We are considering an Alaska cruise next summer when our baby will be around 10 months old. We cruised just last November with our 2 year old, but it has been a long time since I've had an actual baby on board Princess.

Yeah, it does bug me a little that you have to pay a full adult fare for the infant. And since you have to book a triple, and there aren't as many of those, they often cost more as well. In our case, at the time we booked, my wife and I were each $250 more because it had to be a triple cabin. But good to hear he'll be treated like a king!

I think we were always able to get the 3rd passenger rate for our girl on all of our Carnival and Princess cruises, even when there's a high demand (our last three cruises were during the end of the year holiday period, and her fare was definitely lower than ours).

Her first cruise was at 23 months (a month too young for Camp Carnival, but no matter). We took an umbrella stroller that had a canopy for shade and a little storage underneath, which would hold a diaper bag and other things.

We also packed any possible medications as you can't count on the ship's infirmary or ship's stores having what you need and being open when you need them. Same for diapers and pullups (if they have them, which I doubt, it won't be the size you need).

We also packed any possible medications as you can't count on the ship's infirmary or ship's stores having what you need and being open when you need them. Same for diapers and pullups (if they have them' date=' which I doubt, it won't be the size you need).[/quote']

Great point, pedialyte can be a lifesaver, both for kids and for adults with noro (heaven forbid) as can childrens tylenol. They now make it in a powdered form, its not cheap, but perfect for travel. Also, do a little google searching before you go to find big box pharmacies/groceries in the towns. Ketchikan has a safeway about a mile or two north of the cruise port and I think Juneau's main shopping areas are a bit north of the cruise area also. Skagway is limited in this department, so be aware. Just remember, the prices for the products you get at home can be up to 2x more expensive in Alaska.

For those reading this travelling with babies now drinking milk, deck 5 on grand class ships is a great place to have a cabin; the international cafe will give milk upon request. Sure beats hoofing it up to the buffet.

Pat, was it just you and the baby? No parents?
Obviously I'm not Pat but it looks like she didn't see your question. Yes, the parents were with Pat and her husband but Pat does a lot of the care and logistics for several reasons. If Pat sees this, it's up to her to explain. :)

Great point, pedialyte can be a lifesaver, both for kids and for adults with noro (heaven forbid) as can childrens tylenol. They now make it in a powdered form, its not cheap, but perfect for travel….

We actually use the liquid form children's tylenol, which is administered via a syringe-style dropper. It's actually worked really well for travel on shorter trips we've taken, as it's not that big of a bottle. We always put it in a zip lock baggie - just in case of leaks, but haven't had an issue there.

I'd love to hear back on how things went after you return. We are considering an Alaska cruise next summer when our baby will be around 10 months old. We cruised just last November with our 2 year old, but it has been a long time since I've had an actual baby on board Princess.

Definitely, I'll write a review when we get home.

We're three weeks out, thought I'd share some things we've picked up for the trip beyond food/clothes/diapers, mostly based on recommendations from CC:

• Inflatable bathtub - he's too young to use the pools and anything under a suite doesn't have a tub. Especially on a cruise ship, we want to keep him clean as possible to avoid picking up bugs. We got this one from Toys R Us; someone else here had said it fits well in the stateroom showers. And it was under $10.
  • Diaper baggies - we don't usually use them at home as we have a diaper genie, but on the ship, I'm sure our steward and our noses will appreciate the diapers being bagged up. They had packs of 75 at Dollar Tree.
  • Meds. We're taking new unopened bottles of children's tylenol, gas drops, gripe water, and baby orajel for teething. Unopened ones to minimize chance of leaking while we travel to port.
  • Little ziplock baggies - I'm taking a small assortment of snack, sandwich, and quart size, and a couple of the gallon size. Never know when you might need to baggie something.
  • A new travel (umbrella) stroller. Our primary one is too big and cumbersome, and we had a little one that was just a bit too small for a long trip. Found one at Toys R Us for $40 with 20% coupon; has a fold-open canopy to help block sun has a little storage area underneath, locking back wheels, and it reclines to different positions. Also it's tall enough for me to push without hunching over (I'm 6' 2").

Great point, pedialyte can be a lifesaver, both for kids and for adults with noro (heaven forbid) as can childrens tylenol. They now make it in a powdered form, its not cheap, but perfect for travel. Also, do a little google searching before you go to find big box pharmacies/groceries in the towns. Ketchikan has a safeway about a mile or two north of the cruise port and I think Juneau's main shopping areas are a bit north of the cruise area also. Skagway is limited in this department, so be aware. Just remember, the prices for the products you get at home can be up to 2x more expensive in Alaska.

For those reading this travelling with babies now drinking milk, deck 5 on grand class ships is a great place to have a cabin; the international cafe will give milk upon request. Sure beats hoofing it up to the buffet.

Coconut water is so much more healthy and contains electrolytes. Last time we purchased (and returned) pedialyte we saw it contained sucrolose which is so unhealthy esp. for children. We use coconut water with a pinch of natural salt and it is the best hydrating drink. Of course like anything check for allergies.

Little ziplock baggies - I'm taking a small assortment of snack, sandwich, and quart size, and a couple of the gallon size. Never know when you might need to baggie something.

I do this whenever I travel, and I don't have little ones any more. I add a couple of kitchen garbage bags with drawstrings too. Good for laundry, or wet things. If you use the pool/hot tub on the last day, bathing suits don't dry thoroughly overnight, so it's nice to just toss them in a plastic bag when you pack them. With a baby, there are surely other ways you'd end up with wet things at the last minute, and sometimes a gallon ziploc just isn't big enough. :eek:

With a baby, there are surely other ways you'd end up with wet things at the last minute, and sometimes a gallon ziploc just isn't big enough. :eek:

Oh, I don't even want to think about that! lol

Obviously I'm not Pat but it looks like she didn't see your question. Yes, the parents were with Pat and her husband but Pat does a lot of the care and logistics for several reasons. If Pat sees this, it's up to her to explain. :)

Thanks, Pam(Pat) ;) I wonder because I want to take the baby (now 9 mos) to Mexico this fall, and I don't think DH or baby's dad can go then. It would be mommy and me, and I'm always interested in a grandma's perspective. :)

Pat, was it just you and the baby? No parents?

Thanks Pam. I didn't see it. :)

Parents were there. If they are not, you need a special notarized ? form giving you permission to travel with a minor who is not your child.

Sophia is extremely bonded with me, so she was with me a lot during the cruise

And yes, I was tired !

One thing we did discover was, she was really afraid of the shower. Parents were in an inside. Luckily, we had a penthouse, so they bathed her in our cabin.

Pat

Edited by sassyredhat

Please report back what you hear on car seat in Alaska. We're on 7 night Golden and booked the "land" dog sled independently for all 10 of us including our 22 month old grandson and 4 year old granddaughter and had NO PLANS to bring a car seat on this cruise. Thanks!

I heard back this morning from the company that runs the blue bus in Juneau; no car seat needed. We're not planning on bringing a car seat either, so this is good news. You probably want to contact your tour operator directly though and double check with them.

I heard back this morning from the company that runs the blue bus in Juneau; no car seat needed. We're not planning on bringing a car seat either, so this is good news. You probably want to contact your tour operator directly though and double check with them.

As I've stated in other threads, you cannot use a car seat on the blue bus because there are no seat belts. The bus is often standing room only. Hopefully someone will be nice and let you have a seat if you have a small child. When we rode it back from the glacier, our whole family had to stand (adults and teens) but we were packed so tightly that I don't think I could have fallen down in an accident only because there was no space to fall. A rental car might be cheaper, safer, and more comfortable.

I was only on those buses once, but couldn't recall whether they had seat belts or not. I don't remember it being that crowded, but it was early afternoon so maybe that's why. Or maybe there were less ships in port.

Thanks Pam. I didn't see it. :)

One thing we did discover was, she was really afraid of the shower. Parents were in an inside. Luckily, we had a penthouse, so they bathed her in our cabin.

Pat

Ah! I hadn't thought of that. Perhaps we need to test her tolerance to a shower before we go. If we don't get a tub cabin, I think I might invest in one of those little inflatable swimming pools others have mentioned. Thanks for the advice!

Thanks for reporting back!

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to bump this thread now that gdisney has come back from her cruise!

We are thinking of sailing Star Princess next March with my kids who will be almost 2 and 3. Just wondering if you had any more tips including if you got to check out the kids area and how the inflatable tub worked for you and also fitting the crib in the room. Thanks!