Can an upgrade be taken away?

Austcruiser84

I guess it's possible but I would think that it may just be an error. If you were told you'd gotten an upgrade I would definitely call and get it resolved now, and ask for the confirmation in writing . Good luck, keep us posted! :)

I guess it's possible but I would think that it may just be an error. If you were told you'd gotten an upgrade I would definitely call and get it resolved now, and ask for the confirmation in writing . Good luck, keep us posted! :)

Perhaps I gave the wrong impression. I've been upgraded a second time for one of my upcoming voyages and I was just asking whether I could be assured I wouldn't be downgraded between now and sailing date.

I'm just curious as to whether an upgrade can be taken away? (I.e., pay for one grade, get upgraded, but then go back to what you paid for)

Yes. You may have booked A1, receive an upgrade note to P1 two weeks before embarkation and will be checked into Q4 on embarkation.

But this was not your worries:rolleyes:

On one voyage I was given an upgrade to a 'better' balcony cabin, but it was to a location that in my opinion was nowhere near as good! I phoned to see if I could be put back to what I had paid for and was informed that Cunard will NOT downgrade passengers. It is against their policy.

On another cruise I was upgraded from obstructed view balcony to one at the front of the ship. All was well until our first port where the noise at 6.30am until 8.30am was so horrendous that I had a headache and was shaky. (I am noise sensitive.) I went to Reception and asked to be moved, saying I would accept an Oceanview, anything to get away from that location. They moved me to an obstructed view balcony. Technically it was a downgrade but I only got it because they could see how I was physically affected by the noise. I went back the next port day with a happy smiling face to thank them and show the difference it made!

I'm just curious as to whether an upgrade can be taken away? (I.e., pay for one grade, get upgraded, but then go back to what you paid for)

They must be able to take them away - at least I assume they can because that would explain why I've never had an upgrade! :D

J

I'm sure if a downgrade was ever forced on anyone we certainly would have read about it here. To my recollection, so far nothing!

True. I did search the history of CC and nothing on downgrades (apart from people having to rebook a lesser cabin due to cancellation etc). I guess if it happened there'd be a thread (or twenty threads) on it :)

Well, that makes me feel better! The only problem now is I need to reprint my luggage tags and laminate them! (first world problem I know)

They must be able to take them away - at least I assume they can because that would explain why I've never had an upgrade! :D

J

The only acceptable upgrade from Scotland is heaven. Cunard may not be able to provide.:D

You can have my upgrade. Just received an "upgrade"? To a cabin right across from the laundry room. Don't understand how that can be an upgrade ?? So upset :(

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You can have my upgrade. Just received an "upgrade"? To a cabin right across from the laundry room. Don't understand how that can be an upgrade ?? So upset :(

Kerry, we had a cabin opposite the laundry room once (I forget which deck it was on QM2). It didn't cause us any problem at all - if fact, my husband found it very convenient for doing his laundry first thing in the morning. I hope you won't experience any problems either. Regards, -S.

Once, we were on the QM2 for a segment of a world cruise, so doing laundry was a necessity. The queue for the laundry extended into the hallway and people, waiting in line, were very chatty and loud. The people in the cabin opposite complained and there was a handwritten sign placed on the laundry room door, saying it wouldn't open until 9 (instead of 7:30).

If laundry noise is a nuisance, don't hesitate to complain. Cunard staff can, at least, delay laundry opening time.

Also, pack ear plugs and beware of future offers to have an upgrade.

But, have a great sailing! Don't let this ruin a lovely voyage for you. We have only needed ear plugs once on the QM2, but they made all the difference.

Trying to think positive. But shocked going from a deck 11 front cabin to a deck 8 across from laundry with a lifeboat next door. They say it's an upgrade cause deck 8'is considered a better location cause it's the middle of the ship. I'd rather a deck 11 front of ship to a deck 8 laundry/lifeboat neighbor but unfortunately we don't have a choice :(

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app ~ Kerry

Trying to think positive. But shocked going from a deck 11 front cabin to a deck 8 across from laundry with a lifeboat next door. They say it's an upgrade cause deck 8'is considered a better location cause it's the middle of the ship. I'd rather a deck 11 front of ship to a deck 8 laundry/lifeboat neighbor but unfortunately we don't have a choice :(

Kerry, oh I understand now, and I have to agree with you about Deck 11 fore being a better location than Deck 8 Midship - I wouldn't consider that an upgrade either because the view from a Deck 11 balcony is so much better than Deck 8, imo. Did you book a guarantee cabin, or had you selected a specific cabin on Deck 11? -S.

Kerry--

I thought that in the new pricing system deck 8 obstructed view cabins are a lower grade than deck 11, no matter where on deck 8 they are (assuming you are talking about the Queen Mary). If you are in the guarantee category for deck 11 (fore or aft) deck 8 obstructed view would be a downgrade as I read it.:confused:

Ann

Under the current deck plans the lowest grade balcony is deck 8 forward obstructed view (DC), with the next up deck 8 midship obstructed view (DA). Next up are the sheltered balcony categories.

The furthest forward on decks 8, 11, and 12 are all in the same category (BB).

BB was forward deck 11. They are saying we're "upgraded " to BA because it is midship. They don't consider it obstructed but I do. The cabin right next door has a lifeboat. They told me you look straight out it's not obstructed. The lifeboat is still right on top of us. Plus it's directly across from the laundry. Now how they can say this is an upgrade is beyond me ?? Lesson learned :(

BB was forward deck 11. They are saying we're "upgraded " to BA because it is midship. They don't consider it obstructed but I do. The cabin right next door has a lifeboat. They told me you look straight out it's not obstructed. The lifeboat is still right on top of us. Plus it's directly across from the laundry. Now how they can say this is an upgrade is beyond me ?? Lesson learned ~ Kerry

According to the current QM2 deck plans BA on deck 8 is aft of the life boats. If it is where I think it is you are the first stateroom behind an obstructed view one.

Unfortunately there is nothing you can do about it since it is an upgrade according to the published deck plan. Any chance you or your TA can call and ask for your old BB back? At worst they say no.

The only way to avoid this is to book early enough to request "do not upgrade". But if you booked a late guarantee you may not have had any choice. A better price at the sacrifice of choices is one a lot of passengers choose to make.

BB was forward deck 11. They are saying we're "upgraded " to BA because it is midship. They don't consider it obstructed but I do. The cabin right next door has a lifeboat. They told me you look straight out it's not obstructed. The lifeboat is still right on top of us. Plus it's directly across from the laundry. Now how they can say this is an upgrade is beyond me ?? Lesson learned :(

That's a shame. I've been upgraded to Deck 9 aft so I've thankfully avoided having to look down on the orange lifeboats.

I wonder if anyone willingly books a deck 8 balcony on QM2?!

That's a shame. I've been upgraded to Deck 9 aft so I've thankfully avoided having to look down on the orange lifeboats.

I wonder if anyone willingly books a deck 8 balcony on QM2?!

Austcruiser, I've never intentionally booked a cabin on Deck 8, nor can I imagine ever doing so, but under the new deck plans, Deck 8 midship cabins (included in Category BA) are considered by Cunard to be an upgrade from any category below Britannia Club (AC & AA Category). So anyone booking any category other than Britannia Category could be 'upgraded' to a balcony on Deck 8 Midship, unless DO NOT UPGRADE is stressed, and anyone booking a guarantee category (BA or below) does not have that option. As has been discussed on this forum months ago, passengers need to be aware of the change in categories and book accordingly.

My personal opinion - as if it mattered, is that Cunard made a big mistake when re-categorizing the Midships cabins on Deck 8 to Cat BA. -S

Edited by Salacia

Austcruiser, I've never intentionally booked a cabin on Deck 8, nor can I imagine ever doing so, but under the new deck plans, Deck 8 midship cabins (included in Category BA) are considered by Cunard to be an upgrade from any category below Britannia Club (AC & AA Category). So anyone booking any category other than Britannia Category could be 'upgraded' to a balcony on Deck 8 Midship, unless DO NOT UPGRADE is stressed, and anyone booking a guarantee category (BA or below) does not have that option. As has been discussed on this forum months ago, passengers need to be aware of the change in categories and book accordingly.

My personal opinion - as if it mattered, is that Cunard made a big mistake when re-categorizing the Midships cabins on Deck 8 to Cat BA. -S

That is pretty shocking. I join the chorus of those who'd argue a deck 8 obstructed balcony is most certainly a downgrade. I couldn't face fluorescent orange invading my stateroom with the first rays of the sun each day.