Aquarium v WWII museum

arkjeweler

I find the WWII Museum can be a case of information overload. There is a lot to see and a lot of information to take in. The aquarium can be a much more passive experience.

So it really depends on what you are looking for. Both of them are excellent for what they are, but they are very different experiences. Kind of like asking movie or book, you know?

If you are short on time and/or attention, visit the aquarium. If you have all day and want to really study the exhibits, visit the WWII museum.

Either war you won't be disappointed, but they are completely different experiences.

Where is the museum located?

The official address is on Magazine Street, but you enter on Andrew Higgins between Camp and Magazine Street.

It's 8 or 9 blocks Uptown from Canal Street (depending on how you count), definitely walking distance from most hotels in the Quarter, CBD, or Warehouse District.

The official address is on Magazine Street, but you enter on Andrew Higgins between Camp and Magazine Street.

It's 8 or 9 blocks Uptown from Canal Street (depending on how you count), definitely walking distance from most hotels in the Quarter, CBD, or Warehouse District.

Thank-you. We will probably check it out.

• 4 weeks later...

NOLA needs a better aquarium. I swear they haven't added anything but a bird cage in the last 25 years.

With kids I would do aquarium and bug museum. Adults I would do WW2 museum.

The restaurant in the museum is really good and is a John Besh place that serve homestyle food.

(you can also take the short walk to Peche which is the hot place in town) or to Cochon or Cochon Butcher. All by Donald Link and in that area.

NOLA needs a better aquarium. I swear they haven't added anything but a bird cage in the last 25 years.

The restaurant in the museum is really good and is a John Besh place that serve homestyle food.

Haven't they added the otters and the penguins in that time? I know it's been a few years since I've been, but I'm sure there are new things in the past 25 years. :)

I found my last visit to The American Sector at the WWII Museum to be disappointing. It was much better the first few times I went. It used to be my go-to restaurant downtown, but now I generally tell people to avoid it. Others I know have had similar disappointing experiences. I'm not so sure John Besh's fame hasn't come at the cost of his restaurants.

http://www.nola.com/dining/index.ssf/2014/05/national_wwii_museum_wont_rene.html

The John Besh restaurants are being replaced by Centerplate. They do the food at the Superdome which is usually pretty good - especially the fried shrimp. I have never eaten at the museum, so I cannot judge.

My vote for aquarium vs WWII museum would depend on the ages & makeup of your group. I am members of both. For little ones, they would enjoy the aquarium. For history buffs and all adults - the WWII museum. The exhibits with the planes would be enjoyed by all.

I think you could easily do both in one day. I would go to the WWII museum in the morning (get there around the opening time of 9 am) and catch the 4-D movie "Beyond All Boundaries" at 10 am. Buy the combo ticket for the museum entrance and the movie but skip paying for and going to "Final Mission - USS Tang Experience" (submarine) as it is horrible.