Quebec City or Montreal for extra time?

We will be sailing (2015) Montreal to Boston - I've been wanting to do this cruise for years and have had to cancel it several times :(

Friends have done a similar cruise from QC - and just visited Montreal on their own since it was not a port city.

My question is --- I seem to read more pluses for QC than Montreal as far as things to do and see. I've also read it is less hassel to fly into Montreal than QC. We plan to go in a couple of days early to tour Montreal - but now am wondering if we should fly into Montreal -- bus to QC and spend the first night and tour -- bus back to Montreal and tour 1 1/2 days and board the ship on the '1/2 day' -- as we do not overnight in QC - -it will be a port day 7-5. Will that be plenty of time for QC or will we be bored spending 2 1/2 days in Montreal?

How LONG of a bus ride is it to QC from Montreal?

I know there is a fun train ride but I understand it has very limited schedule and the bus is more frequent.

sigh.... I always try to see too much on my vacations! Appreciate any help you might offer!

First let me say that as a multiple-repeat-visitor to both fine cities, if forced to choose between them I would hands-down, 100% of the time go to Montreal. You will most definitely not get bored in 2.5 days - it's a large city with lots of stuff to do, frankly you could spend the best part of a whole week and not get bored unless your interests are very, very niche. Quebec City is more attractive - that view from across the river is spectacular, and really without visiting Europe you simply can't find another city like it - but Montreal offers more & better dining and other attractions IMO.

But with that said, your situation sounds like you have never visited either city, have not yet actually booked your transport to the cruise, and are really asking "what's the best proportion of time to spend in each as I have some flexibility?"

If you intend to visit Montmorency Falls & the Shrine of St Anne (a very popular excursion from Quebec City that generally fills a half day) then I would suggest that adding extra time in Quebec City is worthwhile unless you don't plan to actually do anything much else - you'd have time to wander & soak in the old town, even hop on the ferry for a quick return trip over to Levis & back (best views of QC by far are from the other side of the river).

Assuming you do decide to add time in QC, I would recommend against doing the bus (or train) to AND from. Even though there are express-type services with minimal or no stops, you'll be spending at least six hours in transit between the cities. When you're talking about short trips, that's a high proportion of your available touring time!

Yes, Montreal does have more daily flights - it's bigger and more business-oriented than QC, so that's simply logical. But you're not going for business, they do have flights to & from just about anywhere, and the times & prices of those flights might just work out as well or better for you than to Montreal - check Kayak or another good website for your dates.

From QC to Montreal the trains are pretty frequent - three a day on weekends, five midweek. The issue that usually comes up with VIA rains is the lack of baggage cars on most of the trains. If you're flying and bringing just one big suitcase & an airline carry-on, you'll probably be OK - these are the VIA rules.

Edited by martincath
fixed links

The bus ride between Montreal & Quebec City is 3 hours. You'd be wasting 6 hours travelling back/forth.

Fly into Montréal.

Visit Montreal. View the "Anything Montreal" thread for ideas.

Visit Québec City during your port visit there.

:)

Edited by p_mori7

I am in agreement with p mori7. Montreal is a great city (get a guide or do some research online.) One day in Quebec City will give you a good taste. Do not take a tour unless you are particularly interested in its history; just stroll around.

It would be a real waste of time to go to Quebec City and back.

Edited by maryann ns

@martincath: But with that said, your situation sounds like you have never visited either city, have not yet actually booked your transport to the cruise, and are really asking "what's the best proportion of time to spend in each as I have some flexibility?"

>>>

You are spot on.... thanks so much for your detailed reply :)