dream crew rumours?

The other side of the coin is the passengers experience and Thomson need to realize that some of us have booked already with other cruise lines because of the impact of it on our last cruise. It may be difficult to get these previously loyal customers back so regularly.

ah yes but read here

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=5884

the number of british cruise passengers is up 27% :eek: this year....although that doesnt mean that they are on thomsons?

ah yes but read here

http://www.cruisecritic.co.uk/news/news.cfm?ID=5884

the number of british cruise passengers is up 27% :eek: this year....although that doesnt mean that they are on thomsons?

Is that what it's saying? I may be misinterpreting it but thought that the 27% refers to the UK share of the European cruise market in terms of the number of passengers. That's certainly a big representation of cruisers from the UK! I think the increase of 25K represents very roughly a 1.5% increase in passengers in 2013. As you say that number will be across all cruises lines. It's a sizeable increase but with bigger ships and more capacity all companies are going to have to work hard to increase their market share and retain their customers.

They're talking of more ships dedicated to the UK market in 2015 - unfortunately that's not likely to be Thomson! :rolleyes:

I have experienced great service on Thomson ships from crew from the Phillipines, the Ukraine, Russia, France, Jamaica, Egypt, India, Indonesia and probably many other countries. I have been entertained by people from Britain, Australia, the Phillipines, the USA, Germany, Hungary the Netherlands, Mexico and other countries too. As long as they do their jobs in a friendly manner and to the best of their ability then I don't care where they come from. I hope they get paid well, get tips, get to see the world and feed and clothe their families back home. Good luck to them all from this grateful passenger.

Now confirmed to the press:

Thomson Cruises Awards Contract to Columbia Ship Management

ON 23 JUNE 2014.

Thomson Cruises and Island Cruises announced it has appointed Columbia Ship Management as its technical management partner for its three ‘owned’ cruise ships – Thomson Celebration, Thomson Dream and Island Escape. The contract, which breaks new ground in the cruise industry, according to Thomson, begins in November 2014.

Incumbent Columbia Ship Management (CSM), which has worked with Thomson Cruises and latterly Island Cruises for over ten years, won the five-year contract after a thorough tender process involving several of the industry’s leading ship management companies. The new contract will be structured in a very different and innovative way, bringing ship owners and managers closer together in a more collaborative partnership.

The key innovations include a structure of joint governance committees that enable collective decisions to be taken on all aspects of the operations and financial processes, with full transparency between the two parties. In addition this allows the very top level of management of both organisations to be closely involved with the operation.

In a move fully supported by CSM, Thomson Cruises will become more engaged in directing operations on-board by employing its Captains and Chief Engineers directly, rather than through the ship management company as is conventionally the case. An independent safety consultant from the wider industry will be appointed, to challenge operations and advise on best practice; helping Thomson Cruises keep abreast of industry innovation and avoid complacency.

To support this there will also be a very detailed service level agreement, specifying how Thomson Cruises and CSM will operate to standards of excellence, rather than simply relying on the safety net of regulatory compliance.

Helen Caron, managing director of Thomson Cruises & Island Cruises said; “I am delighted to announce our new partnership with Columbia Ship Management. Over the last 18 months our teams have worked together, to develop an innovative governance structure that brings ship owners and managers closer together in a more collaborative partnership.

“As a result I firmly believe that Columbia Ship Management is the right partner to ensure that we continue to drive the highest operational, safety and environmental standards – a key part of our plans as we enhance the fleet going forward.”

The new contract does not affect the operation of Thomson Cruises’ two chartered ships Thomson Majesty and Thomson Spirit, however some of the same innovations will be rolled out on these ships as well.

http://www.cruiseindustrynews.com/cruise-news/11256-thomson-cruises-awards-contract-to-columbia-shop-management.html

With the recent negative reviews regarding the number of crew and food issues on Dream and Celebration, perhaps this will hopefully change some things and improve it. I just hope they take on all the existing crew though!

Interesting to note that Thomson seems to have more of a say regarding the operations of the ships. Don't know if this is a bad thing or not tbh. :rolleyes:

IE gets very good feedback though with its crew, so hopefully things will be just as good. Hopefully this might mean the end of all the cut backs and they start to reintroduce more crew members and improvements.

Edited by Sailaway487

v good find sailaway (thumbup):cool:

i'm a little confused tho? thomsons confirmed last week that apollo would be managing the hotel crew from november 14:confused:

perhaps this new agency is to manage the ship operations? training/safety/maintenance

in-any-event...this could mean that there may well be some changes coming (hopefully for the better especially on dream) ....but those changes dont look like they are going to be in the form of a new ship? they do seem to be investing in the old fleet instead ....v interesting

I am very pleased to read this announcement. It sounds to me as though Thomson are making a conscious effort to improve certain aspects of their product. They have been haunted by NV outbreaks on the Dream, which is their pride and joy and it sounds to me as though they have had enough of that. It seems that they are taking on more of a hands on approach and the part about pursuing excellence rather than depending upon being compliant with minimum regulatory standards looks as though it is aimed at the hygene issues.

The part about some of these arrangements being adopted on the Spirit and Majesty suggest they feel there could be improvements too and I would have thought that the appalling loss of life in the Majesty lifeboat accident played a big part in motivating change there too. Well done Thomson. A step in the right direction.

• 4 months later...

Looks like this group (flopsy, Maggie, dave, newone, cam's gran, Annzkat, Kim & JustKeepSmiling) on the cruise on the Dream starting on Saturday 1 November 2014 will have to keep our eyes and ears open in order to report back!

Flopsy

I didn't know they "owned" Celebration either. I thought it was still owned by HAL.

Noticed that owned was in inverted commas :confused:

The Celebration is indeed owned by HAL and leased to Thomson.

Again, the Dream is just leased by Thomson from Costa, although there is an option to purchase from next year with this ship.

PS. I'm more concerned that Apollo haven't got their figures correct and hope they won't only be catering for 1132 passengers on the Dream, as it takes a minimum of several hundred more than that :P http://www.theapollogroup.com/our-clients/

Edited by BaggersCruising

I can't understand peoples attitudes towards the Eastern Europeans. The Spirit mainly have E.E. and I found the cabin stewards were way above those on Dream. Also the waiters walked around the ship in case anyone wanted a drink. I don't think they ever came along the promenade deck on Dream.

The main complaints recently have been about the food so if this improves we are definitely on a win win situation.

Time will tell.

We have just come back from the Dream. The food in the main restaurant was fantastic. The waiters did walk around the promenade not only for drinks but also selling ice creams. They also constantly took my tray off me to take onto the promenade despite me saying I could manage. The cabin staff were also exceptional

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Did the waiters not used to bring a drinks trolley round the promenade deck on the Dream?

Never when I was there, though to be honest we don't sit all day and husband gets bored very easily so likes a 'walk';).

It wasn't a problem for us, I wasn't really moaning just pointing this out as on Spirit someone was round constantly taking drinks orders.

Oh I've just remembered as I was about to press submit, they did come around with the cocktail of the day.

It still is from the Lido (the soft serve stuff).

They now also sell premium Ice Creams, such as Magnums, Cornettos etc. I use the word "premium" very loosely, just like Thomson do with the word "platinum". :D:D:D

I'm pretty sure there was no free ice cream on the Maj. DH looked for it and he is pretty good at finding things in the buffet (unlike me :o) They were selling it on th deck :(

I'm pretty sure there was no free ice cream on the Maj. DH looked for it and he is pretty good at finding things in the buffet (unlike me :o) They were selling it on th deck :(

Ah, I haven't been on the Majesty, but it's definitely free on the Dream.

Might be like the DP, different on the Majesty and Spirit as they're operated by Louis.

Ah, I haven't been on the Majesty, but it's definitely free on the Dream.

Might be like the DP, different on the Majesty and Spirit as they're operated by Louis.

We have today just returned from the 5 night cruise on The Dream. The ice-cream machines were covered up ALL WEEK- much to my annoyance as a lot of the sweets would have been enhanced by a little dollop of ice-cream. FREE ICECREAM is no more! Is this because Apollo has taken over?

Flopsy

We have today just returned from the 5 night cruise on The Dream. The ice-cream machines were covered up ALL WEEK- much to my annoyance as a lot of the sweets would have been enhanced by a little dollop of ice-cream. FREE ICECREAM is no more! Is this because Apollo has taken over?

Flopsy

I hope not! I was hoping things might improve under Apollo, unless Thomson have opted for a cheaper contract?

I'm on her in 4 weeks so fingers crossed!