East Caribbean Jan 2006, which ship/line?

Airb330

Hi, this will be my first cruise. I'm going on my college winter break with my mom. We'll both need a nice break from the stress of 2005. Money isn't really a factor (for the first time), but I still am leaning towards just the cheapest interior room. I know we won't be in it much, so why spend more? I don't think my father would appreciate my wasting his life insurance! Mom cruised in November 2003 on NCL on a western carribean and liked it.

* The frontrunner right now is Celebrity on the Century (1/21). It's really cheap, at $600 for an inside cabin. I really like the iternary too. San Juan is a must, and I like how the boat is there two days. Celebrity also seems like a really good line, though maybe a little stuffy. My primary concern is the boat is a little small. Mom got sick on the NCL Wind, but she was also in the front of the boat.

* Royal Caribbean is my second choice. I have three cruises I like with them. First off is Jewel of the Seas 1/14 (Radiance Class). For 8 nights it's $880 for an inside cabin. It visits 4 ports, but 8 nights may be too long for mom to take off work. But, I do like the ship (alot) and destinations. The Second is the Mariner of the Seas(1/14-1/21). Good schedule, but not as good as Celebrity or the other RCC ship. It's also more expensive for an interior cabin ($814). The prices are fine for higher up cabins (ie 1,000 for oceanview or veranda). The ship almost seems too big, and too much like a mall.

Celebrity just does a whole lot for $600 IMO! Like I said, money isn't an issue, but is it really worth the extra 200-400 to upgrade to say Concierge Class Oceanview on Celebrity or to a veranda on RCC? I'm thinking probably not. I'd like to feel indulgent, but still....I guess I'm still in it for value. I'm not really sure RCC is worth an extra 200 on either cruise, though at least on one we get 8 nights.

I ruled out Carnival due to cold and smoky ships on the E. Caribbean trips, plus it just wouldn't fit with my mom and I. That's more of a cruise with my friends and I. Princess and Holland America didn't offer anything better than Celebrity or RCL for the price. Plus all 3 of them discourage 'underage drinking'. I'm 20 and if I want some wine or something in the middle of the ocean....I think I should be allowed.

Thanks for any suggestions, I appreciate it!

You mention that the Century is in San Juan two days. Actually the ship gets in one after noon at 4:30 PM and leaves at 12:30 AM the next morning so all you the time you have in San Juan on that cruise is one evening.

We did a transatlantic on the Jewel this spring and loved the ship and the cruise. While it is a big ship it didn't seem that way as it was easy to find your way around and had lots of smaller places you could go to get away from the crowds.

Just a couple of things I noticed. Have a great next cruise whichever one you decide on.

I've cruised twice on Voyager (same class as Mariner) and have never gotten the mall feel at all. In fact, I liked how open it felt inside, and there were still plenty of areas where you could be outside and enjoy the ocean. However, if I had a choice I would choose the Jewel just because you get an extra day cruising, which would be wonderful in my book, and the shore times look the best of all the cruises. Plus it goes from Saturday to Sunday, so unless your mom works weekends, she wouldn't miss anymore work than she would with a 7 day cruise.

Celebrity has more of an upscale feel than RCI, from what I understand.

If your mother has problem with sea sickness, look for rooms on lower decks in the middle of the ships, as less movement is typically felt there. The larger ships may be better for that as well.

As to the itineraries, the shore times on the Century don't seem that great, only 4 hours in Nassau and arriving in San Juan at 4:30 and leaving just after midnight the same day. If the point of going to San Juan is to see the history, then you will miss alot as the forts will be closed by the time you get there. If the point is to see San Juan at night, then it is great.

You might also look at RCI's Explorer of the Seas on 1/22 which also visits the same ports as the Century, and has you in San Juan from 2pm to 8pm, and in Nassau for 6 hours, and also has longer times in St. Thomas and St. Maarten.

One more thing, you will definitely be fine in an interior cabin, especially since money is an issue. I've been in an oceanview, a balcony, and an interior. While the balcony is nice, for the money an interior is great. The interior cabin I had on Voyager was well laid out, had plenty of storage, and did not feel crowded at all. Use the extra money you save going with an interior to pay for visits to the spa or a nice excursion.

All good tips. I can't beleive I missed the day at San Juan lol. Either way, I'd need more than 1 full day or even 2 to see what I want to; I just need to go for a full week another time.

Right now, it's between the Jewel and the Century. The Century is cheaper by $280, but is one night shorter. We'll just have to keep looking it over. I at least have 2 cruises to show my mother, who's almost done med school! Two choices is better than the 20+ I had to begin with. Now to get planning a trip for my friends and I...!

Archived