ship's account

lmedw

Debit cards can be a real problem if you use them to back up your sign and sail card. Most people have a very small daily charge limit on debit cards, and since they only submit your charges in one large bill at the end of the cruise, it could be declined and then you have a problem.

Some cruise lines ask for $250 cash to open your account. Some require less and some more. Be prepared and bring $300 to deposit in your account.

Debit cards can be a real problem if you use them to back up your sign and sail card. Most people have a very small daily charge limit on debit cards, and since they only submit your charges in one large bill at the end of the cruise, it could be declined and then you have a problem.

Some cruise lines ask for $250 cash to open your account. Some require less and some more. Be prepared and bring $300 to deposit in your account.

My debit is also a visa so i was thinking putting 300-350 on the ship account from that. Could also use my credit card - just prefer using my visa/debit.

You don't have to put anything on your ship's account if you don't want to, but then you will not be able to charge anything while on board. You don't specify a certain amount with a debit/credit card, they just charge to your card. If you use cash, then you have to put a certain amount up front. When using a debit card, be aware that they put a hold on your account and then if you use it somewhere else you may have maxed out, also the hold may remain on your account for up to 30 days depending on the speed of your bank.

Since you have a credit card, I recommend using the credit card to secure your seapass account, then on the last day go to the purser's desk and pay for your seapass account with your debit card.

You don't have to put anything on your ship's account if you don't want to, but then you will not be able to charge anything while on board. You don't specify a certain amount with a debit/credit card, they just charge to your card. If you use cash, then you have to put a certain amount up front. When using a debit card, be aware that they put a hold on your account and then if you use it somewhere else you may have maxed out, also the hold may remain on your account for up to 30 days depending on the speed of your bank.

Since you have a credit card, I recommend using the credit card to secure your seapass account, then on the last day go to the purser's desk and pay for your seapass account with your debit card.

Good information and great idea! Thanks for the great suggestion which I plan to follow. Question about the credit card - if I use my charge card on the ship's account will I get "socked" with exchange rates????? Trying to avoid that. Thanks -

Archived