VISA into China

uncfes

• 3 weeks later...
China had updated its entry/exit law last year (2013) and the 24hours visa free transit include not just air but also ship and train.

Here's the latest information from China Consular Affairs (in Chinese)

http://cs.mfa.gov.cn/wgrlh/lhqz/cjwdn_660600/t1175678.shtml

Translated to English:

http://translate.googleusercontent.com/translate_c?depth=1&hl=en&prev=/search%3Fq%3Dcs.mfa.gov.cn%26biw%3D1440%26bih%3D767&rurl=translate.google.ca&sl=zh-CN&u=http://cs.mfa.gov.cn/wgrlh/lhqz/cjwdn_660600/t1175678.shtml&usg=ALkJrhjD0gkSwbHoF-S3lr9tzTCPHLhX4w

Past examples of cruise passengers using the 24hours visa free transit in Shanghai

http://www.sh-immigration.gov.cn/lis...?lx=37&id=2943

http://www.sh-immigration.gov.cn/listPageEn.aspx?lx=37

The new rule is already in place for some time but cruise lines haven't update their website with the new information.

If you are flying in and taking a cruise to a 3rd country within 24 hours from the same city you should be fine. Going on a cruise and leave a Chinese port within 24 hours after the cruise or transiting a Chinese port to a 3rd country within 24 hours is a bit tricky since you may be denied boarding the ship at the embarkation port (although the above example seems to indicate certain cruise line (Costa) will let passenger board the ship without a China visa. May be the cruise lines are aware of the new rule but haven't update their visa requirement)

It's best to call cruise line directly and ask for clarification whether a visa is required for transiting a Chinese port. In most cases the cruise line will probably tell you to get a visa. If you can get a definite answer from the cruise line that no visa is needed then make sure they advice the port agent at the port of embarkation so you won't be denied boarding. Keep all correspondences from cruise line and bring them with you when boarding.

With more ships going to Far East/Asia it will be the cruiselines best interest to clarify China visa requirement for transiting Chinese ports (especially Shanghai or Tianjin) since it will gather more interest for those sailings if no China visa is required.

It appears that if we only docked at Shanghai for less than 24 hours, we would not need a visa. The cruise we are looking at stays less than 12 hours in China.

@Bowie MeMe - not sure where you were exactly but there is wifi nearly everywhere in China including Starbucks. I have been all over China and this was the case even n fairly remote place. some places do require a password which you ask the waitress.[/Q]

I was in Beijing and Xian. Yes Wi-Fi was everywhere. No problem that! My problem was with the Chinese government's regulations for providers of the internet connection to submit the personal information to gain access. It seemed to me at the time to be too obtrusive and thus I would not provide the information and thus did not access the internet from China (including on the ship -- same thing in Chinese waters).

Probably it would be OK because Governments probably already have the information from their own sources but I was not volunteering:eek: My own little protest over media regulations in China.

I was in Beijing and Xian. Yes Wi-Fi was everywhere. No problem that! My problem was with the Chinese government's regulations for providers of the internet connection to submit the personal information to gain access. It seemed to me at the time to be too obtrusive and thus I would not provide the information and thus did not access the internet from China (including on the ship -- same thing in Chinese waters).

Probably it would be OK because Governments probably already have the information from their own sources but I was not volunteering:eek: My own little protest over media regulations in China.

We're there every couple of years to visit the In-laws. I have a Yahoo! email account for use in the PRC and Cruise Critic ;) only. The Great Firewall blocks out use of my regular email accounts.

Back to lurking :cool:

@Bowie MeMe - not sure where you were exactly but there is wifi nearly everywhere in China including Starbucks. I have been all over China and this was the case even n fairly remote place. some places do require a password which you ask the waitress.[/Q]

You need a password in many places but I never had to provide any personal information anywhere. In a place like Starbucks, you get the password by asking the cashier. In many countries in the world though I had to provide my passport to get internet access, It was the case in Italy for example even at my hotel (where I pointed to the clerk that I had already provided my passport on check-in). Many countries want to know who is behind some web activities, this is all the result the recent anti-terrorists activities. No need to do this in the US, they already know all about you, your internet activities and phone calls.

Just to get back at some of your posts.

Yes, I did have to get a Visa. That came from the consulate and the ship. I think some of the confusion about not having one is:

1) only needed for entry on mainland China. Not Hong Kong and places not on the mainland

2) if you are on a connecting flight just passing through

There are some other rules. I did happen to be in San Francisco and sitting there waiting to apply was worse than sitting in the Nevada DMV waiting to renew my license.

Did my wife's on line and it was a little more money but worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

• 1 month later...

It has been reported by a number of people that you don't need a passport if you stay on the ship in Shanghai. Check out the Millennium Roll Call for the October 25 2014. You don't need a visa for Hong Kong.

Sent from my iPad using Forums