Tipping on the Spirit

I know gratuities are included on the Thomson cruises, but I'm assuming it is normal to tip the cabin steward at the end of the cruise anyway. Having only ever been on one other cruise, what would be the norm for this? ££ per day of cruise? And would you give it as cash? I'll need to be prepared for that, as I do most holiday spending via debit or credit card.

Also, do people generally tip the bar staff?

Thanks

I know gratuities are included on the Thomson cruises, but I'm assuming it is normal to tip the cabin steward at the end of the cruise anyway. Having only ever been on one other cruise, what would be the norm for this? ££ per day of cruise? And would you give it as cash? I'll need to be prepared for that, as I do most holiday spending via debit or credit card.

Also, do people generally tip the bar staff?

Thanks

We normally tip cabin staff £20 for a week, (if I feel they have done an excellent job) We also tip the bar staff, we are sit at the bar people. We mainly drink in Horizons and give each of the bar men £10 but they do pool it. I also tip in the show lounge, we normally sit in the same area so have the same wait staff all cruise. It all depends on your drinking habits for which staff you tip. Also there usually is a box at the doors in the MDR on the last night for any tips you wish to give the dinning room staff.

No tips are expected, but are appreciated. I also give any books which I have finished and I know magazines go down well.

On the spirit you will have 2 cabin stewards, we always do a thank you card and put £10/10 euro in they really seem to like the cards. The bar waitresses do love any magazines you leave behind.

We had the same cabins stewards for quite a few cruises so we also take a goody bag with sweets and chocolate as many do not treat theyselves sending the money back home

Thanks for the quick replies - gives me an idea of how much cash I'll need to take. I like the idea of the goodie bags as well.

chocolate and crisps are always good, for money i would suggest to take a bundle of £5 notes and just do what feels right at the time (bet you dont bring any home though, the best staff in the buisness on spirit)

Hi Malch are you on Arctic Explorer? We are, there are some interesting/informative posts on the Roll call. Just thought I'd say in case you didn't know, you may read but choose not to write of course.

Re tipping, several good ideas mind I'm not sure if the crew would spend money in Norway as it's so expensive.

Does anyone know what happens if you leave spare toiletries in the cabin at the end of the cruise can the staff take them?

Regards Jean and Bill

I must admit I do leave shampoo/shower gels which I assume the staff use. Hopefully saves them a bit of money.

We tip the cabin boy but usually sit in different places in the MDR so don't always tip ( I didn't know there was a general box in the dining room on the last night but will watch for that in future.

However, we were recently on Celebration and there was a lovely girl called Janice who cleaned the toilets on deck 6 every night. She kept them immaculate and was always smiling. It's good to give people like this a tip as they probably don't get many - I also mentioned her on the feedback form.