men in a tux

ronulbrich

To an extent I agree with you re the tux!

However whether it's elegant night or formal night or shirt and tie night

I think that for one night the rules should be enforced.

It's a very casual experience on a Carnival ship but they still maintain the elegant night tradition.

Formal night no longer exists on Carnival. Instead, they now offer Cruise Elegant Night. Considering Carnival's target demographic is not able to appreciate a traditional cruise experience, they needed to find a way to have a similar experience in order to push photography sales. Photography is the reason we still have a Cruise Elegant Evening. If more people are dressed somewhat decent, photo sales increase and Carnival sees more revenue and profit.

As you mentioned, the rules should be enforced. To keep it simple, they are. The rules state:

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

As you can see, you aren't even required to wear a tie. Although you mentioned that rules should be enforced, there is a lot of hit/miss, as it is at the discretion of the Maitre 'D. Obviously one exception is when they don't want to initiate a guest situation, which can be seen on other cruise lines, such as Princess. Technically, the rules forbid women from wearing a pantsuit, business suit or anything with pants in the main dining room. The Maitre 'D will NEVER confront ANY woman who does not follow that rule. Not trying to be sexist, but do you think it is fair if women get to avoid following the dress code but men have to follow it to what is written or see the possibility to be turned away from the dining room?

Their dress code:

Formal

When formal nights are held, please observe the dress code in the Traditional Dining and Anytime Dining venues for the enjoyment of all our guests.

Evening gowns and cocktail dresses for women

Tuxedos, dinner jackets or dark suits with a tie for men

My DH wears a tux and, even at 65, women look at him when he goes by. Then they look at their own DH, who is wearing a polo shirt and khakis and thinks he's dressed up and they don't look happy. I don't blame them either because they're all dressed up nice in a cocktail dress.

Hey, they even dress up the tables in the MDR on elegant night now.

IMO, this is the thread winner.:):D

I think you are trying to play both sides of the fence here and if not then you are trying to push an ajenda.

If you read what "Elegant dress" is for men, you will see that a Kilt is not mentioned for this American cruise ship company. You are not following the rules. How can you expect everyone else to if you do not. Just like we have many sunbathers out at the pool during the day and they are observing the american customs. (at least the women are by wearing a top).

When we americans visit religious buildings in Muslum countries we follow the protocall's as set forth. Just because you are of a scottish heritage does not trump what our american standards are.

It is spelled out in black and white what is acceptable.

What ever is called for where ever we are is what we try and follow. You are right, people should follow the rules and they should be enforced.

If I showed up with no shirt then they would not let me in. So no suit no service:):D

I am certainly not pushing an agenda! And I am not playing both sides.

I will stop using the term 'formal night'

I would personally prefer to attend an elegant night where everyone has made an effort. Carnival do not enforce a specific dress code. I personally (and I state personally) feel for one night they should.

Your reference to muslims is nonsense and irrelevant, there is no religious connotations with a kilt. I made no effort to trump American standards.

I/we celebrated our silver wedding and we wanted to do it in style. Our American tablemates (whom we had just met a few days previous) helped us and for the occasion I brought a kilt. It was not on Carnival.

I never at anytime said I wore it on a Carnival ship.

Formal night no longer exists on Carnival. Instead, they now offer Cruise Elegant Night. Considering Carnival's target demographic is not able to appreciate a traditional cruise experience, they needed to find a way to have a similar experience in order to push photography sales. Photography is the reason we still have a Cruise Elegant Evening. If more people are dressed somewhat decent, photo sales increase and Carnival sees more revenue and profit.

To me Elegant night or Formal night is one and the same.

I will refrain from using the term Formal as there seems to be a slight difference in meaning.

What I have left of your quote is bang on the money.

Like all companies, profit is king and the profit margins in these pictures must be immense.

My wife and i will be on the legend july 6 14. I am wondering

, should I pack my Tux?

I say you go for it, especially if you don't get dressed up on a regular basis. Rocking a tux while others are in shorts and tshirts will make you feel better about yourself that you went the extra mile.

Hi Happy Chappy....remembering your great review.

I wish we could stop talking about "demographics" here and putting anyone in categories...I have a family of Montanans, some who danced/dance in very diverse career worlds here, some only one..one family..all they can do and be theselves is wear a black coat collared shirt and new jeans to a wedding..even the party...well most people dressed more..including the bridesmaids...wives, daughters, sisters..father-in-law and family and friends...and the newly widowed grandpa of groom..my dad... looked fab in a proper afternoon suit for and afternoon wedding..bride had a full train gown.

My Opinion: Dress to your comfort zone but push the river to the dressiest you are comfortable with that fits within the rules as you read them...personally...I think dressy is coming back...look at all the dressier adds...etc...

...with the whole mid century modern thing are the thinner lapel suits and tuxes more fitted...GO FOR IT OP..seriously, it is an event where you can shine because it is "Elegant Night"..set your standard...Sarah

Edited by sjn911

Hi Happy Chappy....remembering your great review.

I wish we could stop talking about "demographics" here and putting anyone in categories...I have a family of Montanans, some who danced/dance in very diverse career worlds here, some only one..one family..all they can do and be theselves is wear a black coat collared shirt and new jeans to a wedding..even the party...well most people dressed more..including the bridesmaids...wives, daughters, sisters..father-in-law and family and friends...and the newly widowed grandpa of groom..my dad... looked fab in a proper afternoon suit for and afternoon wedding..bride had a full train gown.

My Opinion: Dress to your comfort zone but push the river to the dressiest you are comfortable with that fits within the rules as you read them...personally...I think dressy is coming back...look at all the dressier adds...etc...

...with the whole mid century modern thing are the thinner lapel suits and tuxes more fitted...GO FOR IT OP..seriously, it is an event where you can shine because it is "Elegant Night"..set your standard...Sarah

Thank you for remembering my and your nice comment about my review.

you make great points about diverse dress styles but maybe for 1 night people can push the boundary a bit.

Make that extra special effort fr that 1 night.

I am aware that there are likely 2 elegant nights but surely for 1 an extra effort can be made

PS I have no wish to argue with anyone on any thread. I am only expressing my opinion.

I am certainly not pushing an agenda! And I am not playing both sides.

I will stop using the term 'formal night'

I would personally prefer to attend an elegant night where everyone has made an effort. Carnival do not enforce a specific dress code. I personally (and I state personally) feel for one night they should.

Your reference to muslims is nonsense and irrelevant, there is no religious connotations with a kilt. I made no effort to trump American standards.

I/we celebrated our silver wedding and we wanted to do it in style. Our American tablemates (whom we had just met a few days previous) helped us and for the occasion I brought a kilt. It was not on Carnival.

I never at anytime said I wore it on a Carnival ship.

My reference was meant to come off as the customs in their religious buildings is that women cover their sholders and sometimes they must wear a scarf over their head as well. That is their way of doing things so when we are there we doit their way.

But I agree with you that if the dress code is defined it should be followed. I also think having lobster and prime rib on those nights is not right. But thats another debate.

Congrats on your 25th.

Thank you for remembering my and your nice comment about my review.

you make great points about diverse dress styles but maybe for 1 night people can push the boundary a bit.

Make that extra special effort fr that 1 night.

I am aware that there are likely 2 elegant nights but surely for 1 an extra effort can be made

PS I have no wish to argue with anyone on any thread. I am only expressing my opinion.

Me too..and you are welcome and I agree...you and I really are not trying to argue ...just yes, say a little opinion...do it as nicely as you can..and for me getting ready to do this family wedding last summer was rough for all of us, yet it helped all of us as trying in anything to put the right foot forward usually does..most of us too close to my mom and granny who had passed 11 months previously but we all did what we could and the ebay and good sales were frequented in a 300 mile radius a few months in advance and we all had to be better with you know...vacation clothes and 2 dressier nights and the 5 day deal we had. Most of us in our group like that dressing properly to some degree and the real cowboys do too if they admit it and mixed well with the real insurance business men because they were both in "talking" businesses...both groups had the gift of the gab...everyone felt special....

I am sure your kilt was AWESOME..I am a Scot, Irish, English and a tiny bit German...mostly Scot and Irish...

Here you go..so proud of this..the guys coats and shirts were super fine..like silk, I would have wanted more dressy and dark jeans but this is my nephew's limit..(so he could not eat in dining room without black pants...LOL)..some groomsmen were cowboys and others were football buddies..and we really all mixed well..give both the cowboys and the insurance men lots of credit..they really had fun at the guy things...

Mom of the groom...my sis..rocked a short lacy black dress..mom of the bride rocked a short lacy off white dress..my sis rocked black patent leather cowboy boots with the dress and lets just say..she can do what she wants..the prettiest one of the 4 daughters..LOL...keep with us here HappyChappy..so enjoy folks like you..my best to you and yours...sarah

Edited by sjn911

My husband will be the first to tell you he loves to dress up...especially in his tux....because he knows how important it is to me. I love it that he takes the time, and suffers through it for ME! And he also knows that he's usually rewarded nicely for it later too.

I wish Elegant night would have a stricter dress code, and that it was in fact enforced. I did notice a neighboring table of ours on elegant night.....the young man (on his honeymoon) was turned away for wearing shorts....on elegant night. He was the 2nd man I saw turned away that night.

He later showed up dressed a little better...not much. I think pretty much everyone knows about dressing up on a cruise.

I think if people don't want to dress that night, order room service, eat at the buffet or have pizza. I love seeing everyone dressed up and I truly do appreciate those who take the time and effort to do so. I'm very proud to see my husband (and my sons) dressed properly for dinner.

My husband will be the first to tell you he loves to dress up...especially in his tux....because he knows how important it is to me. I love it that he takes the time, and suffers through it for ME! And he also knows that he's usually rewarded nicely for it later too.

I wish Elegant night would have a stricter dress code, and that it was in fact enforced. I did notice a neighboring table of ours on elegant night.....the young man (on his honeymoon) was turned away for wearing shorts....on elegant night. He was the 2nd man I saw turned away that night.

He later showed up dressed a little better...not much. I think pretty much everyone knows about dressing up on a cruise.

I think if people don't want to dress that night, order room service, eat at the buffet or have pizza. I love seeing everyone dressed up and I truly do appreciate those who take the time and effort to do so. I'm very proud to see my husband (and my sons) dressed properly for dinner.

Did you know that 15 minutes can save you 15% or more....wait I got side tracked:p Those that have cruise before would know about dressing up. My neighbor just got off the Conquest yesterday and only brought shorts and he was able to eat in the dining room.

That would be fine if they served the same thing in the buffet. When you look online or in brochures they show Lobster tails, but nowhere is there a disclaimer that you must be dressed for the Queens ball to get it.:D

I could not agree more with all of the above. Fine, you don't want to wear a tux, but shorts in the dining room? Really?? It shouldn't be that big of an imposition to put on a nice pair of pants and a collared shirt on formal nights.

I will be wearing a tux for my next cruise. It is nice to dress up once in a while:)

What is stopping you from dressing up more often. I see where you are from, there are many Black tie charity events held where you live. As a matter of fact there are many coming up. 1 each month until about a dozen in September. Last month was the Wine ball for people with disabilities at the Marriott Grande lakes.

Would you like to go to one so you can dress up and help others out?

I see people talking about renting. Are they referring to renting a tux in the ship? I remember Carnival used to rent tuxedos on the ship. Do they still do that? If so, what am I looking to spend to rent a tux on the ship?

I had to rent tuxedos for both of my boys for my brother in laws wedding this weekend. The rental fee at Men's Warehouse is $160.

Yes I have read of recent cruises..past year..where you could rend a tux from "formalities", check the fine print...or keep calling until you get someone who knows..that area I think is smaller now with the candy shop...

I think the guys that do tux in somewhat current looks...or classy looks..shine!!!

I think the guys in blue jeans, tux tops like my nephew's wedding..well sorry sweetie but this one you can not call..change to black rented pants..not black jeans unless they say you can (and they do not)..eat in the dining room on elegant night..if not..the Lido is yours...and that is ok and would be for him..I am ok with the collared shirts ans dress Bermuda shorts...except the 2 elegant nights...and the current code..but wish it was dressier..secretly...or they would enforce well on all ships current one..which some ships really do I hear..Sarah

Edited by sjn911

• 2 weeks later...

Everyone keeps saying how they wish it would go back to being more formal. I disagree, do any of you still dress up for a flight? Times change, vacation destinations need to change with them. It's a cruise ship in the carribean, not a white star transatlantic ship, not a 5 star resturant in new york. If you wouldn't expect to see a family wearing it at a Disneyland area resturant, than you really shouldn't expect it on the ship. Elegant night I can see being the "nice" resturant by Disney land

Everyone keeps saying how they wish it would go back to being more formal. I disagree, do any of you still dress up for a flight? Times change, vacation destinations need to change with them. It's a cruise ship in the carribean, not a white star transatlantic ship, not a 5 star resturant in new york. If you wouldn't expect to see a family wearing it at a Disneyland area resturant, than you really shouldn't expect it on the ship. Elegant night I can see being the "nice" resturant by Disney land

As a former Cast Member, I have seen many couples visit the parks dressed up in formal clothing. It has actually become more common in Epcot, once the Florida Resident After 4PM Annual Pass was introduced.

Edited by Disconnections

As a former Cast Member, I have seen many couples visit the parks dressed up in formal clothing. It has actually become more common in Epcot, once the Florida Resident After 4PM Annual Pass was introduced.

But would anyone expect it? If anyone wants to by all means I dress up nicer than normal, but I don't think it should be the rule.

But would anyone expect it? If anyone wants to by all means I dress up nicer than normal, but I don't think it should be the rule.

My location was in Magic Kingdom and on Friday/Saturday nights, I would see at least two couples dressed far more formal than I would expect on a Carnival cruise enjoying their evening together when I was operating an attraction. Weekend nights at Epcot, especially Friday, you'll see plenty dressed up walking around World Showcase.

And before anyone claims that isn't true and nobody gets dressed up at Walt Disney World...

336aed996c9afee63df51ac85b220bce.png

Edited by Disconnections

I just don't eat in the MDR on formal nights. It's vacation and I don't want to dress up, either does the wife. On non formal nights if we eat in the MDR it's a polo shirt and a nice pair of cargo style shorts and nice sneakers.

Carnival Pride 7 day Mexican Riviera: September 2008

Carnival Inspiration 4 day Mexican Riviera: September 2013

Carnival Miracle 15 day Hawaii: coming October 2015

My location was in Magic Kingdom and on Friday/Saturday nights, I would see at least two couples dressed far more formal than I would expect on a Carnival cruise enjoying their evening together when I was operating an attraction. Weekend nights at Epcot, especially Friday, you'll see plenty dressed up walking around World Showcase.

And before anyone claims that isn't true and nobody gets dressed up at Walt Disney World...

336aed996c9afee63df51ac85b220bce.png

I think we have a verbage issue at hand.

I used expect as in expectations, something that should be done.

You are using expect as in anticipate, as in you know it'll happen.

Again, dressing up is nice and good, but should it be an expectation. And if you want it to "go back the way it was" where do you stop? 1990's, 1980,1970,1910,1890?

I don't expect to see the guy at a car dealer wearing a 3 piece suit, I have, but I wouldn't expect it.

Times have changed, carnival is typically the cheaper family cruise line. There are cruise lines that still have stricter dress codes and more formal requirements, they are for the people who can't even adapt to what others wear to dinner in 2014.