men in a tux

ronulbrich

My wife and i will be on the legend july 6 14. I am wondering

, should I pack my Tux?

Most men will not be on tuxes on formal night, so don't feel obligated to do so. But if you're the type that wants to wear a tux on formal night, you won't look out of place. To tux or not tux is strictly a matter of your own personal preference.

I'm one of the few left who still wear a tux on elegant nights.

However, I don't pack. I always rent.

If you look around on elegant night, out of 100 men, I'd say you'll see 10 wearing a tux, 20 wearing a coat and tie, 20 wear a jacket with no tie, 40 wearing just a collared shirt, and 10 wearing whatever.

Edited by klfrodo

You ask, "Should I pack my Tux". That really depends on you. When I began cruising in 2002 I wore a suit and tie but over the years my cruise attire gradually became more casual. On my last cruise in March I wore a pair of dress slacks and long sleeve dress shirt. No tie, no jacket.

I have worn my tux on every elegant/formal night on every cruise since 2000. I have also, on the last several cruises, worn a gardenia in my lapel. I bring them from my yard and they last for over a week if kept in water vials and in the refrigerator. On our last cruise (last month) I wore the gardenia in a lapel vase similar to what Hercule Poirot wears. I also wear my antique grandfather watch with bob and my antique black onyx and pearl studs and cuff links. I figure the only time I ever get a chance to dress up is while on a cruise. At home (retired) I wear mostly lounge wear during the day and when going out I wear simple sports wear or a tie on special occasions and holidays. So dressing up in my black tux with a white pleated shirt and black bow tie for me is an event!!! I get a lot of thumbs up and comments like "...now that is the way a man should dress..." That kinda strokes my ego a bit and makes me feel really good. I think it's fun!!!

Edited by kennelgang

I'm one of the few left who still wear a tux on elegant nights.

However, I don't pack. I always rent.

If you look around on elegant night, out of 100 men, I'd say you'll see 10 wearing a tux, 20 wearing a coat and tie, 20 wear a jacket with no tie, 40 wearing just a collared shirt, and 10 wearing whatever.

If you want to wear your tux, wear it, but please do not believe that 10% of the men will be wearing them. It is more like 10 total on the whole cruise.

My last cruise on the conquest I saw one tux.

If you want to wear your tux, wear it, but please do not believe that 10% of the men will be wearing them. It is more like 10 total on the whole cruise.

My last cruise on the conquest I saw one tux.

Add of the ten who do, 5 will looks like bad 70's wedding tuxes.

Hi there

Go with the tux...you will look good...unless your wife doesn't want you to:)

In a parallel universe, if you were handed a $45. OBC voucher(for your next cruise) as you entered the MDR on formal night BECAUSE you were wearing a tux, would you change your mind and wear one ? ;)

We see more then what folks are saying is average in tuxes and women in elegant gowns. Go for it! Husband wears tux for elegant nights and suit / tie for the rest of the cruise when in the MDR. Maybe just depends on the ship. I've not experienced an elegant night where the majority of folks we were sitting around or seeing getting their pictures taken weren't dressed to the hilt!

I see one or two people per cruise wearing a tux. I will put a suit on for elegant night but I will wear a button down shirt or polo shirt under it, it is what I feel best in if forced to wear long pants and shoes. Like others have said wear what you are most comfortable in!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

My husband wears his tux and I wear a formal floor length gown or a shorter cocktail dress. My teen girls wear cocktail dresses on elegant nights. It's a great opportunity to get dressed to the nines and get portraits done. We are not the only ones either, every cruise I see many people dressed in formal wear.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

This discussions comes up quite often and usually centers around two themes.There is the "I have to dress up for work" crowd who believes that as casual as possible is the way to go.Then there are those who see elegant nights as a chance to dress up. Carnival is a fun ship for all and we will continue to see both groups in the MDR. So go ahead and wear the tux,you won't be alone !

In a parallel universe, if you were handed a $45. OBC voucher(for your next cruise) as you entered the MDR on formal night BECAUSE you were wearing a tux, would you change your mind and wear one ? ;)

Hi

I think some people talk down the idea of getting dressed up for these nights just because if most people did dress for a more formal occasion then they might feel out of place.

Well, I wear my tux every cruise and I know it looks good and so does my wife.

I can understand how someone just can't see the point. After all they are on vacation, why should they go to that much trouble. But for a lot of us this is a special occasion. We are celebrating birthdays, anniversaries, graduations... what have you. So wouldn't it be nice if more people were able to get into the spirit and dress in this celebratory way just for the sake of those who do see this as a special occasion.

On that note, since formal wear or even just a nice suit doesn't cost that much anymore if people were offered $45, I think a lot of people would take the offer :)

Either way wear what makes you feel comfortable

and

Have a great cruise