Cruise prices 10 day vs 7 day

RUTGERS75

Why does it seem that the daily cost to cruise
on a 10 day or longer sailing always seem to be more than on an equivalent 7 day cruise on about the same date and itinerary. I am really curious.

Thanks,

Bob R

Very good question. Maybe it's a thing of what the market will bear. Cruise lines know that families generally take shorter trips because of school. Since they want to attract a new market, they make it easier to take a 7-day cruise. It's well-known that the longer the cruise, the older the ship's demographic is likely to be. Many of these folks are retired and have the means to take extended trips. Since price is not always the driving issue (although with some it IS an issue) the cruise lines charge it because they know they can get it.

Any other ideas?

'Vegas Jim

[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_wink.gif[/img] Prices

Agree - HAL and other cruise lines do charge more for cruises longer than 7 days. They know the itineraries are different and they are attracting a different group of travelers.

Also consider the cost of sending consumable supplies to foreign ports. Not everything can be purchased in the local markets.

[img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img] [img]http://messages.cruisecritic.com/infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif[/img]

I personally think it depends on what time of the year, what ship, itnerary etc. determines the price of the cruise. Of my 2 upcoming 10-day cruises, one is less per day than many 7-day, and the other is about the same price per day.

Vegas Jim.. Although I agree it may be an older demographics on 10day+ cruises, but I don't think it's because the market is targeted for retired people who have the means to travel.

There is a larger demographic group who are sailing 10+days. It's the 40-55 group with grown children. I'm in my early 40's and find many in my age group on these sailings.

I just wanted to point this out so those interested in these longer sailings don't think it's geared for the retired.

Maureen

MS Maasdam 10/30/2004
Princess Sun 2/27/2005
Mariner of the Seas 10/16/2005

iluvcruzin, I totally agree with you. My wife and I have an 11 year old daughter that we cruise with. We would love to take a 10 day cruise but find HAL's somewhat pricey relative to the 7 day cruises.

Maureen,

I have to agree with you. We'll be on the Maasdam with you in October, and also booked it because it was fairly inexpensive. If you have some flexability, good deals can be had on longer cruises. And like you, we're in our early 40s also. Two of the kids are out of the house, but the other two are not. But a little time with grandma works well.

1/1990 - RCCL Song of America
4/13/2003 - Carnival Inspiration
10/30/2004 - Maasdam

[img]http://escati.linkopp.net/cgi-bin/countdown.cgi?trgb=000000&srgb=00ff00&prgb=0924ff&cdt=2004;10;30;17;00;00&timezone=GMT-0400[/img]
Till sailing on the Maasdam

We realized a heavily discounted price on Maasdam's ten day E. Caribbean thru HAL's flash sale about six weeks out from sail date. During the return, a flyer offered pax who wanted to stay aboard a $399 rate for the next segment!

1957-USS General A.E. Anderson, Tokyo to San Francisco; 1999-Norwegian Sea, W. Carib; 1999-RVI, Europe; 2000-Mercury, W. Carib; 2000-Volendam, S. Carib; 2001-Viking Star, Danube River; 2001-Veendam, E. Carib; 2002 B2B- Veendam, Alaska; 2003 B2B-Zuiderdam, W/E Carib; Mar 2004-Maasdam, E Carib; 26 Nov 2005 Veendam, S Carib

We got a really good deal on a 12 day on the Ryndam Mexican Rivera last year, less than what we would normally pay for a 7 day and it was great, the perfect length.

Husbands are like pancakes, you have to throw the first one out.

Archived