Diy in cannes

juls1964

Hi Fellow Cruisers

We are about to embark on our forthcoming cruise round the western med and would like so info please, we have done this cruise before and done trips in all the ports with fellow CC peeps but this time we would like to DIY. Can anyone give us information on Cannes we were thinking of getting a tender off the ship and just having a relaxing day in Cannes do they have an open top tour bus hop on hop off style and what would anyone recommend for us not to just around the port/town Vincenty are they nice coffee shops/restaurants to sit and watch the world go by.

Thanks

Juls:)

Hi Fellow Cruisers

We are about to embark on our forthcoming cruise round the western med and would like so info please, we have done this cruise before and done trips in all the ports with fellow CC peeps but this time we would like to DIY. Can anyone give us information on Cannes we were thinking of getting a tender off the ship and just having a relaxing day in Cannes do they have an open top tour bus hop on hop off style and what would anyone recommend for us not to just around the port/town Vincenty are they nice coffee shops/restaurants to sit and watch the world go by.

Thanks

My Epic cruise (same itinerary) is on Aug. 13th! I've been doing a lot of research on the ports. One thing I've learned about Cannes is that there is a whole lot of nothing to do there. Which can be fine if all you're looking to do is hang out and people watch. Unfortunately I can't recommend any places as I haven't been there yet. According to the Rick Steves guide to the Mediterranean Cruise ports, there aren't "historic" sites to see there, no museums, artifacts etc. If you want to shop and see the sites of where the film festival is held, that's all walking distance I believe. No HOHO buses as there wouldn't be much to see I gather. If you want a relaxing day, I'm sure there are plenty of options for a nice cafe and stroll along the beach. :)

After multiple sightseeing intensive port days in a row, we found Cannes to be a very nice stop for just winging it and relaxing. We tendered to shore fairly early after a breakfast on the ship (since we are early risers) and just walked along the waterfront. Most of the shoppes and cafes were not yet open. I can't recall which day of the week it was, however. We walked for maybe a mile along the beautiful shoreline and just soaked in the morning sun. We then turned around and walked back along the street with businesses starting to open up. We didn't really go into any stores as we aren't shoppers. We sat and people watched a few times and in a little park and along the beach view benches. Then we decided to see what the view was like up on a slight hill that seemed to have some form of a castle-like structure on top. So we just leisurely found our way up there and enjoyed a nice view looking over the city and into the sea. By the time we walked down, it was early afternoon and we were getting hungry. We just opted to return to the ship and relax the rest of the day by the pool and cafeteria. However, the cafes and restaurants were starting to open up if you wanted to eat a bite there. All-in-all, a nice, relaxing day. Nice scenery/views. But not a whole lot to do if you want activity. It was exactly what we had in mind for us at the time.

Hi Fellow Cruisers

Thanks

Hi Juls

I didn't think there was that much to see in Cannes, although as others have said, it's a perfectly nice place to spend a relaxing day if that's what you want.

This is all I did before catching a train to Nice. All the best, Tony

[YOUTUBE]gO4Luc3h41k[/YOUTUBE] [YOUTUBE]OXW5R66Td2o[/YOUTUBE]

Edited by Cornishpastyman1

We have spent time in Cannes as both a cruise passenger and in several hotels. The tourist oriented section is walkable from the tender pier, assuming you have no mobility limitations. They also operate a miniature train which I think they call the Petite Train. You can pay to ride this around town although we never tried it since we think the best way to see a city is on your feet.

Hank

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 2 weeks later...