Padi diving and is embarkation in Baltimore still a nightmare?

Sherlocked

Hi, I just got my classroom portion of Padi online (I do not recommend it; it takes days and is more of a sales pitch than actual training. It's voiced over by the disembodied ghost of the guy who did the high school hygiene movies and the 'what to do if the bombs come,' videos while 'barbie and ken' walk down the beach presumably on their way to watch a black and white dive video on the beach with their plastic friends. Much better to take the actual class or go with another company altogether. I've decided I don't want to PADI, "Put Another Dollar In," so I'm sucking up the cost of the elearning and just going with another company.) Have any of you done any of the open water portion of your diving courses while on vacation? Also, we had a question for a dive company in Freeport where my husband and son dove last year but we can't remember their name and the cruise line won't help us. It seems silly that they can't at least forward a question on our behalf as we are past and potential customers and the question is one hundred percent dive related. I know there are people who become stupid en mass and would inundate cruise tour operators but this question is dive related and is not answered on the Carnival website. It seems silly that they want us to spend over three hundred dollars without answering one question. Also, has anyone cruise out of Baltimore lately? We are taking the Pride and the last time we did that, the embarkation lines were literally three hours long with people standing with small children in their arms for that long and older people getting sore and tired. We've cruised ten times and that was the worst embarkation ever. Has it gotten any better? The rest of the cruise was outstanding. Have a great day, everyone

Also, has anyone cruise out of Baltimore lately? We are taking the Pride and the last time we did that, the embarkation lines were literally three hours long with people standing with small children in their arms for that long and older people getting sore and tired. We've cruised ten times and that was the worst embarkation ever. Has it gotten any better? The rest of the cruise was outstanding. Have a great day, everyone

I cannot answer for Carnival but we cruised last year on RCI out of Baltimore (and will be again next month) and found it to be absolutely simple and very fast, both on and off the ship. In fact it is one of the easiest ports we've sailed from.

As both cruise lines use the same facilities, unless there is something in the Carnival process that is different and creates a more difficult or delayed embarkation and disembarkation, I would expect your experience to be similar as well to ours.

And if there is a different and more difficult process involved with Carnival, perhaps you should try RCI! :)

Edited by leaveitallbehind

Hi, I just got my classroom portion of Padi online.... I've decided I don't want to PADI, "Put Another Dollar In," so I'm sucking up the cost of the elearning and just going with another company.) Have any of you done any of the open water portion of your diving courses while on vacation?

It is not clear to me what information you would like. I am a retired instructor with certifications to teach for several different diving agencies, including PADI.

Have you completed the classroom and pool portions of the Open Water Diver program from any agency? If not, then these must be done before the open water portion of the certification can be accomplished. If you have, then the shop where you completed the training can give you a referral to a dive shop on one of the stops of your cruise. Generally however, the shop doing the open water certification will be associated with the same diving agency as your original dive shop at home. That is PADI, NAUI, SSI, etc.

Be careful in that an Open Water Certification in the past has required four separate open water dives, but only two could be accomplished in any one day. So if your cruise stops for only one day at each port, it would take two different dive shops in different ports to complete the certification. And it will only happen if there are no problems (which are fairly common with student divers) with your diving performance. Remember, you must demonstrate skills such as ear pressure clearing, mask removal and replacement under water, buoyancy, regulator retrieval, buddy breathing off of one regulator, etc.

In general, the previous plan while theoretically possible, is a rather time consuming and strenuous exercise and is not a recommended idea. You would not have much time, let alone the energy, to do much else during the cruise.

I would suggest instead that you do the entire certification process at a more leisurely pace with a dive shop near your home and then simply make some enjoyable open water dives at various Caribbean ports on your cruise.

Scott & Karen

Can't help you with PADI, but we haven't had an issue with Baltimore in the last three years. We find it is hands down the easiest port and terminal to navigate. The only time we've had to stand in line, we were early and boarding hadn't begun yet--I believed we had to wait 25 or 30 minutes.

Cruised out of Baltimore on Royal Caribbean and got there around 11:00. Walked right up to the check in desk and then right onto the ship. Fastest embarkation I've had in any port and on any line. YMMV with Carnival. Husband couldn't believe I was already on the ship when I called him at home.

You could also ask your question about PADI on the scuba and snorkeling forum.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=40

Possibly on the Bahamas Port of Call forum as well.

Edited by iheartbda

I am a 25th year PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer. So as stated in the previous post, there are basically 3 parts to the training.

Classroom - Here you learn all the information and will have to demonstrate proficiency through quizzes and exams. 5 Modules each covering different subjects

Confined Water Training - Here you learn all the actual skills for SCUBA diving again 5 Modules

Open Water Dives - Here you will demonstrate proficiency in the various skills you have learned. 4 dives minimum over at least two days.

You would need to complete the first two parts before your Open Water Dives. You may be able to do classroom and confined water aboard the cruise if they offer that and you have not completed it beforehand. The process is time consuming, but should not be considered boring by any means. About 30% of the students have difficulty with one or more of the Modules and will require more training to become proficient. You cannot just move on without proficiency.

A signed referral from the original instructor would be needed to do any of the parts you need to finish. If it will be at more than one shop you will need referrals from each subsequent instructor. Crossing over from one agency to another is not impossible, but will make it more complicated.

As far as PADI being "put another dollar in", I can tell you that SCUBA diving is not a cheap sport. If the few hundred dollars it has cost you so far is a burden maybe you should wait until you are financially able to enjoy diving. No matter what agency you are certified with it will cost roughly the same. Mainly the instructors or dive shops carry the burden of these expenses. The difference is nominal, but PADI is recognized Worldwide and your training would never be question no matter where you dive.

Good luck and remember......

"It's always a good day to breath underwater."

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I am a 25th year PADI Master Scuba Diver Trainer. So as stated in the previous post, there are basically 3 parts to the training.

Classroom - Here you learn all the information and will have to demonstrate proficiency through quizzes and exams. 5 Modules each covering different subjects

Confined Water Training - Here you learn all the actual skills for SCUBA diving again 5 Modules

Open Water Dives - Here you will demonstrate proficiency in the various skills you have learned. 4 dives minimum over at least two days.

You would need to complete the first two parts before your Open Water Dives. You may be able to do classroom and confined water aboard the cruise if they offer that and you have not completed it beforehand. The process is time consuming, but should not be considered boring by any means. About 30% of the students have difficulty with one or more of the Modules and will require more training to become proficient. You cannot just move on without proficiency.

A signed referral from the original instructor would be needed to do any of the parts you need to finish. If it will be at more than one shop you will need referrals from each subsequent instructor. Crossing over from one agency to another is not impossible, but will make it more complicated.

As far as PADI being "put another dollar in", I can tell you that SCUBA diving is not a cheap sport. If the few hundred dollars it has cost you so far is a burden maybe you should wait until you are financially able to enjoy diving. No matter what agency you are certified with it will cost roughly the same. Mainly the instructors or dive shops carry the burden of these expenses. The difference is nominal, but PADI is recognized Worldwide and your training would never be question no matter where you dive.

Good luck and remember......

"It's always a good day to breath underwater."

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes, I agree that diving is certainly not cheap. But there is nothing like it!

And for what it's worth, although the local shop where I did my book and pool work is SSI, the 2 shops I did my certification dives through were PADI and it wasn't complicated at all. I contacted them through email, told them what I needed and they scheduled my dives. I had forms that I brought from my local shop to be filled out after the dives were completed. When I got back home I returned the completed forms to the local dive shop and was issued my C-card. Was very easy.