Medical proof required to book HC cabin

huggs

Hi everyone

I have no issues with this, but never have had to produce a medical note indicating why a handicap cabin is required . We were being pro active and looking into booking a room for our cruise next April . I currently have mobility issues, hoping corrective surgery that is booked will help, but if not.... so advised by our TA this is now required to secure such a room. Unfortunately it was for a Haven suite way out of price range...so praying that my surgery goes well, or will have to cancel. No handicap cabins available.

This is for a booking on NCL, so not sure if common practice on the other cruise lines now. I am in total agreement with this, and it may free up these cabins from anyone that may be abusing the situation.

My only concern is for privacy issues, and as long as nature of disability and limitations is required and not a specific diagnosis..no issues.

On another note... I sure hope the cruise lines are planning on looking at the # of such handicap cabins they provide. With an aging population , especially the boomers with the money to travel, these kind of cabins will be in more demand. I was so disappointed to find out no cabins available and we are 300 days out !!! YIKES

Interesting. I am planning on booking my first cruise with NCL and I am wheelchair dependent. I am with you. I have no problem with submitting a medical note stating my need for a wheelchair accessible room.

Hi everyone

I have no issues with this, but never have had to produce a medical note indicating why a handicap cabin is required . We were being pro active and looking into booking a room for our cruise next April . I currently have mobility issues, hoping corrective surgery that is booked will help, but if not.... so advised by our TA this is now required to secure such a room. Unfortunately it was for a Haven suite way out of price range...so praying that my surgery goes well, or will have to cancel. No handicap cabins available.

This is for a booking on NCL, so not sure if common practice on the other cruise lines now. I am in total agreement with this, and it may free up these cabins from anyone that may be abusing the situation.

My only concern is for privacy issues, and as long as nature of disability and limitations is required and not a specific diagnosis..no issues.

On another note... I sure hope the cruise lines are planning on looking at the # of such handicap cabins they provide. With an aging population , especially the boomers with the money to travel, these kind of cabins will be in more demand. I was so disappointed to find out no cabins available and we are 300 days out !!! YIKES

I have a cruise booked with NCL in October and I too was asked to produce a note from my doctor when I requested an accessible cabin. My doctor definitely has better things to do than write a note for me (as well I would have to pay for her time).

I recently had to purchase a mobility scooter and I took it on a Celebrity cruise. They asked me to complete a form outlining my request for an accessible cabin which I completed. I was lucky that I did get an accessible cabin with Celebrity. I have told NCL that I would be bringing my mobility scooter on the cruise and I offered to send them the proof that I had purchased the scooter. They have told me there are no accessible cabins available for the October cruise. Final payment is due in August and I am hoping that an accessible cabin will be available for me.

I did tell NCL that I don't need the special bathroom with roll in shower and bars etc. and I only need the space to keep the scooter in the cabin or find a place to store it at night. I am hoping that something will work out. I don't think it is a law that we have to provide notes from our doctors to get an accessible cabin and I think it's putting doctors to unnecessary work. If someone gets an accessible cabin and they don't deserve to have it the cruise lines should penalize those passengers.

Wendy

On our last cruise with NCL, we didn't need a note from doctor. Or cruises I've taken on DCL, CCL, or RCCL, either.

[We travel with one for DS, just in case there is emergency, tho.]

I just had to fill out form stating that we, in fact, needed the HC room. And providing them w/ dimensions of wheelchair [to make sure there is room on safety boats, I think].

As of 1/1/2012 for cruises embarking from a USA Port a Federal Law became effective under the Department of Transportation that now mandates that cruise lines have to verify that the person occupying the accessible cabin has a medical or physical need to book the cabin . This law also allows for the Cruise Line to request a written attestation from the individual. Some of the key points to this new law are:

(g) To prevent fraud in the assignment of accessible cabins (e.g., attempts by individuals who do not have disabilities to reserve accessible cabins because they have greater space, you—

(1) Must inquire of persons seeking to reserve such cabins whether the individual (or an individual for whom the cabin is being reserved) has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

(2) May require a written attestation from the individual that accessible cabin is for a person who has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

Edited by xxoocruiser

In addition to my previous post it should have been noted that the written attestation is not required to state a specific diagnosis as that's prohibited by USA privacy laws . The written attestation only has to state that individual has a mobility disability and other disability that requires the need for features contained within the accessible cabin.

Edited by xxoocruiser

If you really need an accessible cabin you will find that your doctor will be happy to put it in writing and will not charge for this proof.

You are wrong. My doctor does charge to write letters and fill out forms. Don't know where you live but in Canada everyone has medical coverage and most, if not all, doctors charge to complete forms.

As of 1/1/2012 for cruises embarking from a USA Port a Federal Law became effective under the Department of Transportation that now mandates that cruise lines have to verify that the person occupying the accessible cabin has a medical or physical need to book the cabin . This law also allows for the Cruise Line to request a written attestation from the individual. Some of the key points to this new law are:

(g) To prevent fraud in the assignment of accessible cabins (e.g., attempts by individuals who do not have disabilities to reserve accessible cabins because they have greater space, you—

(1) Must inquire of persons seeking to reserve such cabins whether the individual (or an individual for whom the cabin is being reserved) has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

(2) May require a written attestation from the individual that accessible cabin is for a person who has a mobility disability or a disability that requires the use of the accessible features that are provided in the cabin.

As others have stated and in the above information nowhere does it say that a doctor has to provide a note. Only that the individual has to complete a form which I am quite willing to do. I don't feel I should have to pay my doctor to fill out a form. It is a waste of her time and my money. I am willing to provide a copy of my receipt for the mobility scooter that I purchased and also state that if I show up on the ship without it then I would be assigned to a regular cabin (not an accessible cabin).

Good discussion. I was surprised that I was being a medical note from a physician...I will follow up more out of interest with our TA... besides all that was offered was a big suite not really a handicap room....so even more interesting that this was being asked of us. Again, having a legitimate medical issues that impair my mobility I have no issue with this request...It will control how and who books these cabins.

I agree though... physicians should not be charging...it is a simple statement and a signature...get over it !! Greed is the only reason they would charge. My Dr does not .

Secondly I agree, diagnosis is none of their business, but verification of a need for handicap cabin is reasonable.

As others have stated and in the above information nowhere does it say that a doctor has to provide a note. Only that the individual has to complete a form which I am quite willing to do. I don't feel I should have to pay my doctor to fill out a form. It is a waste of her time and my money. I am willing to provide a copy of my receipt for the mobility scooter that I purchased and also state that if I show up on the ship without it then I would be assigned to a regular cabin (not an accessible cabin).

And no where did I state that your doctor has to complete/sign the form. As far as the issue of your doctor charging a fee f it's permissible in the USA as doctors can legally charge for processing/completing forms which insurance isn't remitting payment.

All you have to do is have your TA contact NCL's Special Needs Dept . ( or you if booked direct) and request the form for you too complete. Apparently someone has convey incorrect information.

Edited by xxoocruiser

I have been having some stability issues over the last year and have used a HC cabin on our last cruise when I had just had surgery, I have one booked for this September on the Liberty and did not get a letter request. We also have a HC cabin for my Sister Inlaw and she did not get a letter.

I just booked the Breeze on Carnival in a HC cabin and this time I got an email with the letter attached, but my reading the letter is that if I needed any thing SPECIAL to let them know, also about the size of wheel chair or walker if needed.

I have not sent it in because I do not need either, just need/want the grab bars for the bathroom, and low step height for bathroom due to my walking stability issues.

Have a great cruise, enjoy

I have been having some stability issues over the last year and have used a HC cabin on our last cruise when I had just had surgery, I have one booked for this September on the Liberty and did not get a letter request. We also have a HC cabin for my Sister Inlaw and she did not get a letter.

I just booked the Breeze on Carnival in a HC cabin and this time I got an email with the letter attached, but my reading the letter is that if I needed any thing SPECIAL to let them know, also about the size of wheel chair or walker if needed.

I have not sent it in because I do not need either, just need/want the grab bars for the bathroom, and low step height for bathroom due to my walking stability issues.

Have a great cruise, enjoy

Actually you do need something ......you need a bathroom with grab bars and a zero threshold bathroom/shower entrance due to a mobility disability. So therefore you need to write that on the form in addition to answering all other questions even if the answer you check is no. Failure to complete the form does give Carnival the right to bump you from an accessible cabin since you failed to attest your need for such a cabin.