Magen's Bay and Sapphire Beach

sjde

We have been to Magen's Bay ( and Little Bay) but not Sapphire Beach.

I'd like to go to Sapphire this time just to see a different beach. I loved the scenic drive to Magen's with the hills and water views and attractive houses. Is it that way going to Sapphire also?

We have been to Magen's Bay ( and Little Bay) but not Sapphire Beach.

I'd like to go to Sapphire this time just to see a different beach. I loved the scenic drive to Magen's with the hills and water views and attractive houses. Is it that way going to Sapphire also?

Yes. The route is up on top of the mountains. Where the view opens up you see panoramic views of the coast, distant islands, etc.

I don't think the routes to Sapphire are quite as breathtaking as that to Magens but that's just an opinion...

The dive center and public restrooms are currently closed at Sapphire so you will have to rough it. But it promises to be one of the quietest beaches and there are food & drink options. Gorgeous beach with lots of character as compared to Magens. Secret Harbor is a nice choice if you would prefer more amenities. These are both Eadt End beaches and home to condo properties.

Is there any hope the dive center and restrooms will be reopening at Sapphire in the future or are they forever gone? We go in January and last time we went to Coki. Loved it there and would go again, but wanted to see a different beach that offers good snorkeling. Sapphire sounded good, except having the public buildings closed. Besides not having a bathroom, I'm afraid it would feel like we shouldn't be there if it is just the condo owners.

The beach is open to the public so you're not invading the condo property really.

There's a long-standing issue between the property owner and the condo assn, the restaurant closed some time ago along with the pool bar, and more recently the renter at the dive center closed up and that closed the restrooms.

There is a new owner and although the latest closings happened after he took over there is work being done on the pool bar so there is hope other areas will benefit. The exterior of the condo bldgs is ales being renovated so the condo owners are very happy right now I would think.

There is a lot of misinformation out there on this topic. For timely and accurate info you can check in with Beautiful Bill on the St Thomas forum on tripadvisor. He's a long time condo owner and was there when this all started.

When we did Sapphire, we did the "southern" route there, and the "northern"route that took us past Magen's and to to overlook over the town on the way back! We saw a good chunk of the island that way! It was awesome!

Yes the south taxi route would be Rts 30/32 through Red Hook on to 38, and the north would be Rts 313 to 38 going past Coki and Smith's Bay. Many drivers will take you on a mini-tour on your return along Rts 38, 42, 40 (Skyline Drive) and back down 35 for the views from the scenic overlook and Drake's Seat which is the view you get when going to Magens. That route is an excellent way to see the beautiful views in a short amount of time.

http://www.virginislandsthisweek.com/images/st-thomas-island-road-map.jpg

Edited by blue_water

Well, unfortunately we didn't get to either beach. The ship was hours late ,arriving at 2:30 because of a fuel leak that required us to go slow. They delayed our departure but only by an hour (7:30 I think it was), so we just went downtown. Luckily we did get to a beach on St Maarten that was really nice--Little Divi Bay.

We were in st Thomas last week and we talked to the guy who used to meet the RCI excursions at sapphire beach, his name is Nigel. We were on Another st Thomas excursion and he was the greeter at the beach. We remembered him from when we went to sapphire 2 years ago.

Anyway, he said they are trying to get the dive shop reopened at sapphire.

Nigel said he is painting over there and trying to get things ready.

It should be reopening soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Edited by dellaroo

We were in st Thomas last week and we talked to the guy who used to meet the RCI excursions at sapphire beach, his name is Nigel. We were on Another st Thomas excursion and he was the greeter at the beach. We remembered him from when we went to sapphire 2 years ago.

Anyway, he said they are trying to get the dive shop reopened at sapphire.

Nigel said he is painting over there and trying to get things ready.

It should be reopening soon.

Actually that info is inaccurate/incomplete, there's much more history there than that. You can learn the actual situation on TA from long time owners there like beautiful bill.

Bruce has re-opened the dive center, not sure yet if chair rentals are available to the public but expect an update soon. The new property owner is making updates including repairing the pool bar (for condo guests) and hopefully the court battle between the mgt and condo assn will proceed with successful results for the restaurant.

>>The guy who owns it is angry at the condo associations because they owe him a lot money, so he closed their facilities.

Nigel said they are close to ending the negotiations, RCI is helping. <<

This is the incomplete info I was referring to. I'm certainly not an expert on the situation, but my understanding from the info from the long-time owners is this long-running issue started several years ago when the restaurant electricity was coming out of the condo assn funds. That closed years ago along with the pool bar. This property was once a thriving resort. New mgt is involved and not sure yet if that's positive but it seems to be with the revamped pool bar, etc. Stay tuned!

Edited by blue_water

Bluewater, yes I realized it was probably in complete when I posted it and quickly edited my post. I have no idea how accurate my informer was.

I have heard from several people that sapphire will be re-opening in the near future.