Youth Center-Random Adults?

peacelovemickey

My daughter is 3, so old enough to go into the youth center, I have been reading that kids under 3 can go if accompanied by an adult. Does this mean there are other adults in the youth center with the kids? Is it a separate area? Is it weird to have other adults in that area? How do they guarantee that no one takes other people's kids or touches them or talks to them?

Seems like creepiers have an easy access, you never know if Uncle Jimmy is a creeper, right?

Anyone else see this as kinda odd?

My daughter is 3, so old enough to go into the youth center, I have been reading that kids under 3 can go if accompanied by an adult. Does this mean there are other adults in the youth center with the kids? Is it a separate area? Is it weird to have other adults in that area? How do they guarantee that no one takes other people's kids or touches them or talks to them?

Seems like creepiers have an easy access, you never know if Uncle Jimmy is a creeper, right?

I've taken my under-3 to the kids center before. In our case, there were no Pelicans onboard and we were able to use the Pelicans room. On cruises with more kids present I'd imagine it could be a mixed group.

The kids programs are highly supervised. You can't just leave with someone else's kid. And these aren't "random adults", they are people there playing with their own children or grandchildren while the counselors are focused on the 3 and ups. I don't see the problem? :confused:

There are certified Princess employees in there, too. I don't think there's just some big room with little kids running around where random adults can just touch them. I know 3 is the minimum age for the Pelicans, but I don't think I'd leave a little one that young in the care of anybody except me.

I've taken my under-3 to the kids center before. In our case, there were no Pelicans onboard and we were able to use the Pelicans room. On cruises with more kids present I'd imagine it could be a mixed group.

The kids programs are highly supervised. You can't just leave with someone else's kid. And these aren't "random adults", they are people there playing with their own children or grandchildren while the counselors are focused on the 3 and ups. I don't see the problem? :confused:

Thanks for the info....you never know... Someone's relative could be a pedophile! I work for a school district and you would be SHOCKED at how many people's prints don't clear!

And FTR, the dozens of times I've dropped my over-3's to play in the kids center there have been no parents present with their under-3's. It's allowed, and I've done it, but often they are playing elsewhere on the ship. My two year old's favorite activity was afternoon tea. Playing alone with mom in the kids center just didn't appeal much.

There are certified Princess employees in there, too. I don't think there's just some big room with little kids running around where random adults can just touch them. I know 3 is the minimum age for the Pelicans, but I don't think I'd leave a little one that young in the care of anybody except me.

It is just like preschool, right, but more fun!

She has been in Carnival's, they start at age 2 and it was AMAZING!!!! Very trained staff and no other adults in for ANY reason, you can take your child out, but you can't go in! However, it was just a room, small quarters, no idea what it is like on Princess....

Edited by peacelovemickey

Thanks for the info....you never know... Someone's relative could be a pedophile! I work for a school district and you would be SHOCKED at how many people's prints don't clear!

As far as I know, there have been no reports of pedophiles in the children's areas on Princess ships. (But that doesn't mean it never happens, I guess.)

As far as I know, there have been no reports of pedophiles in the children's areas on Princess ships. (But that doesn't mean it never happens, I guess.)

The key is you never know who is in there getting off looking at your kid, I would think if anything ever happened this policy wouldn't be allowed! It is just weird to me that other adults go in a play, but again, I have no idea what it looks like. On Carnival, there just isn't the space for other adults in with the littles!

Thanks for the info....

The key is you never know who is in there getting off looking at your kid, I would think if anything ever happened this policy wouldn't be allowed! It is just weird to me that other adults go in a play, but again, I have no idea what it looks like. On Carnival, there just isn't the space for other adults in with the littles!

Thanks for the info....

I can't keep my kids in a bubble and prevent pedophiles from viewing them at public parks, in the grocery store, etc. etc. Nor can I control what is in their mind when they do view them. I will say, however, nothing is going to happen to them in the kids center. They are highly supervised and I can guarantee if there was someone in there more focused on someone else's kid than the toddler they brought in themselves the counselors are going to do something about it. The rooms are not large and there are no private areas someone can take your kid away to. Pedophiles are opportunistic and the opportunities just aren't there.

I can't keep my kids in a bubble and prevent pedophiles from viewing them at public parks, in the grocery store, etc. etc. Nor can I control what is in their mind when they do view them. I will say, however, nothing is going to happen to them in the kids center. They are highly supervised and I can guarantee if there was someone in there more focused on someone else's kid than the toddler they brought in themselves the counselors are going to do something about it. The rooms are not large and there are no private areas someone can take your kid away to. Pedophiles are opportunistic and the opportunities just aren't there.

I do understand this, I am not a stupid/naive parent and as I said I work for a school district, I am just wondering what it looks like, thanks for the reminders though....It just strikes me as different from most child care facilities.

Edited by peacelovemickey

I do understand this, I am not a stupid/naive parent and as I said I work for a school district, I am just wondering what it looks like, thanks for the reminders though....It just strikes me as different from most child care facilities.

I'm not saying you are stupid or naive, and I understand you haven't seen the Princess kids centers in action before. I have, so I'm simply trying to put your mind at ease that (from my experience) of all the situations I assess for risk to my children, this is at the very low risk end of the spectrum. Even in the rare instance that other parents are present. :)

As a public school teacher, parent and grandparent, I can appreciate your concerns. However, as someone else stated, these are not "random" adults just wandering around. Your child will be in many public and private places during his/her lifetime, where people you haven't vetted my look at or talk to them. The vast majority of people are harmless and just being friendly and although you want to protect your child, you also don't want to instill unreasonable fears in them. This won't make you feel any better, but a close family member was molested by another family member who was thought to be wonderful. No one saw it coming. What could we have done? Nothing. Do I want to make my family members fearful and mistrustful of everyone? No! You try to make your children, as strong and confident as possible, not fearful and vulnerable. Beyond that, sadly, bad things do happen sometimes and there is no foolproof way to prevent it. I believe you have nothing to worry about on Princess.

I only have experience on the Royal Princess (twice) so here goes - play area for under three is a separate little area with books, toys, soft furniture, etc. The center is HIGHLY supervised. I wouldn't worry. Never saw anyone but parents of kids in there. There make you sign in - photocopy your I.D., etc. They don't allow any "stray" adults in there. A couple just wanted to look around to see what it looked like and they were denied entrance (door is secure). I wouldn't worry one bit.

From what I understand (we didn't do the underage trips to the small kids area on my daughter's first cruise; second cruise, she was old enough for Camp Carnival), parents taking underaged kids are only allowed to take them there at certain times during off hours. After the time for registration (the first day of the cruise), parents aren't allowed in there. I have always been asked for my ID (until the staff gets to know who I am and who my child is -- they will take a copy of your ID to keep on record) before releasing my child to me at the door of the center. The staff won't even allow you to take photos after that first night and not of any of the kids for privacy reasons.

From what I understand (we didn't do the underage trips to the small kids area on my daughter's first cruise; second cruise' date=' she was old enough for Camp Carnival), parents taking underaged kids are only allowed to take them there at certain times during off hours. After the time for registration (the first day of the cruise), parents aren't allowed in there. I have always been asked for my ID (until the staff gets to know who I am and who my child is -- they will take a copy of your ID to keep on record) before releasing my child to me at the door of the center. The staff won't even allow you to take photos after that first night and not of any of the kids for privacy reasons.[/quote']

Yes, this is Carnival's policy, not princess....princess let's adults in....

Again, these are the parents of children under 3 who are offered the opportunity to take the little ones in. There are trained Princess personnel there at all times. This is not Princess "letting adults in." There will not be random unattached adults wandering in and out of the children's center.

I posted the documents concerning the youth program from our cruise with our 8 year old GD. They can be found starting with post #16 at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2013204

These have all information about the Princess Youth Program. Only those listed are allowed to drop off or pick up children & only when they produce matching government id. They only allow children into the proper age group area and random adults not signed up with a child are NOT allowed in.

Edited by WWCJR

I posted the documents concerning the youth program from our cruise with our 8 year old GD. They can be found starting with post #16 at:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2013204

These have all information about the Princess Youth Program. Only those listed are allowed to drop off or pick up children & only when they produce matching government id. They only allow children into the proper age group area and random adults not signed up with a child are NOT allowed in.

Thank you!

This is not correct. Princess just doesn't "let adults in." Absolutely not true. Must be parents of under three - I.D. verified, paperwork filled out, etc.

Do I want to make my family members fearful and mistrustful of everyone? No! You try to make your children, as strong and confident as possible, not fearful and vulnerable.

I was once standing in line at the grocery store behind a woman and her little girl (maybe 4) who was sitting in the cart, facing me. The child said to me, unprovoked and in a very hostile tone, "You can't touch me and I'm not going to talk to you." I think I said, "Good." The mother never seemed to notice. I thought how sad that this little girl has been taught that every adult, even a grandma like me, is a potential threat.

I was once standing in line at the grocery store behind a woman and her little girl (maybe 4) who was sitting in the cart, facing me. The child said to me, unprovoked and in a very hostile tone, "You can't touch me and I'm not going to talk to you." I think I said, "Good." The mother never seemed to notice. I thought how sad that this little girl has been taught that every adult, even a grandma like me, is a potential threat.

I guess it would have been wrong to say back, "I wouldn't touch you with a ten-foot pole, you little cootie factory."

I've been in the playroom with my then 4 year old grandson. he's very timid and I stayed with him. I am more concerned with an area that doesn't allow parents/grandparents in, I wonder what you are hiding.

Shredie,

That is sad indeed and, in the long run, will neither protect this child (most molestations are committed someone the child knows, not strangers) , nor make her a strong, confident person.

I think the important take away from this thread is that there are no "random adults" wandering around the child care areas. Again, I understand the op's concerns, but to imply that "random adults" have access to the children is simply not true.