Never cruised NCL

Daydaes

We've been thinking of booking a cruise on NCL. We live in Northern CA so we don't know much about this line or where the departure ports are. We are planning a late summer or fall trip. Any suggestions on where to start? We've been to Mexico several times and Hawaii once. We'd like something different and warm. Thanks!

We've been thinking of booking a cruise on NCL. We live in Northern CA so we don't know much about this line or where the departure ports are. We are planning a late summer or fall trip. Any suggestions on where to start? We've been to Mexico several times and Hawaii once. We'd like something different and warm. Thanks!

Good place to start. Think about the Norwegian Getaway out of Miami. Great new ship.

We have done three NCL cruises, all out of the MED. We cruise another line as well, but still cruise NCL, we have two cruises B2B on the Star out of Copenhagen in September/October.

NCL had freestyle dining, which translates into dining when and where you want. NCL ships have several specialty restaurants that are excellent. We prefer the French and Brazilian steakhouse the most, but also like the Japanese and Italian as well.

Those restaurants charge a fee, but you can eat at one of the two main dining rooms and the food is not always excellent, but we have never had a bad meal there.

Entertainment is excellent on NCL. Make sure you don't miss the shows.

NCL can charge a bit much for shore excursions, so research your private excursions on the cruise critic roll call for your specific cruise.

Enjoy your cruise.

NCL Sun has some great prices for an Alaska cruise this summer out of Vancouver. True, it's not warm but you can get an inside for less than $300 for a 7 night cruise and it's close to home.

Edited by Out to sea!

I cruised on many of the major cruise lines (5 times RCCL, 3 times Princess, 1 Celebrity, 1 HAL and 1 Carnival). From reading the CC boards on the other lines you would get the impression that NCL and Carnival are like Motel 6 and the others like Marriott.

Don't be taken in by those misnomers. NCL has become my favorite from my 3 past cruises. It is not Motel 6 in any way. I liked all the cruises I have been on.

NCL offers cruises from the West coast you could try. Or go east. NYC and the Breakaway or GEM, go to Bermuda or Bahamas. Sail out of Boston and head up the coast for a Canada/New England or Bermuda on the DAWN.

What ever you choose, I would bet you will enjoy NCL. They are tops in my book too when it comes to specialty dinning.

I totally agree with NH, NCL has some wonderful ships, depending on the ship, it is on a level with RCI and probably more fun and relaxing.

Someone mentioned Alaska or even Alaska repos, the only problem with that: you certainly won't get the warmth you are seeking.

Depending on what you like to do and what kind of a ship you want, I would recommend either the Breakaway or her newer sister the Getaway. If you are looking for a little more tradition and don't care about glitz and glamour try one of the Jewel class ships. Most of them will return to the Caribbean in late Sept. If you want Aug or even into the middle of Sept you will have to be content with Alaska, or a repo from Alaska. Most cruise lines leave the Caribbean for the summer to sail out of Alaska, Bermuda and the med. If you want to splurge and pay for airfare, the look into Europe.

We also have sailed different lines and are Platinum on Carnival. We took our first cruise on NCL last December. It will not be our last. The Jewel is a beautiful ship. The food was decent and the entertainment was some of the best that we have had out of 15 cruises. You need to realize that I am, uh, frugal. I will still sail CCL, but when I see a trip on NCL that is priced right I will book it in a New York minute.

NCL Sun has some great prices for an Alaska cruise this summer out of Vancouver. True, it's not warm but you can get an inside for less than $300 for a 7 night cruise and it's close to home.

Alaska, as far as I am concerned and we have cruise US and the world, is the best US cruise to take-you are lucky you live close by. Enjoy.

Good place to start. Think about the Norwegian Getaway out of Miami. Great new ship.

Bermuda was one of my first cruises,,, the Dawn from Boston or Breakaway from NYC. Nice island and nice people. 3 days, the ship is your hotel.

Breakfast & Diner on the ship, lunch on the island.

do an eastern carribbean cruise.............nice ports fun

I agree, but remember the OP is talking late summer or early fall: in order to do the Caribbean they will need to wait til Oct. when the ships return. I do agree with you, the eastern Caribbean is the best place to start the Caribbean cruising. For us, it is number one, for those who really enjoy snorkeling and beaching probably the western Caribbean is a better choice.