Unusual situation on Radiance cruise last week

We cruised on the Radiance July 23-30, 2005 and loved it, just getting back 6 days ago. This is not a cruise review, but I enjoyed everything about the cruise including the food and entertainment, the lovely ship, and of the excursions the floatplane to bear watching from Ketchikan was a highlight. Late in the afternoon in Juneau on Mon July 25 I happened to find someone's red Target Visa card on the sidewalk outside a string of trinket and gift shops opposite the pier. The name was on the front and was signed on the back with what looked like a young female's handwriting and an expiration date in 2007. It did not seem to be near any specific shop, and was obviously dropped by accident. I did not write down the card number or try to use the card. As there are no Target stores in Juneau, and 4 ships in port, and near tourist shops, I deduced that a cruise visitor had dropped it. I decided against turning it in to one of the shops, as it was late in the day and ships were about to leave, and I hoped somehow to return it to the worried owner. I returned to the Radiance and described the situation to the customer service person who checked the ships registry for me, hoping (1 in 4 chance) that she was on our ship, but she was not. The purser said he could not contact the other ships in port: the Zaandam, Oosterdam, and the Diamond Princess. The purser said he had no way to contact the other ships, but did call the Juneau Port Authority with the story of the finding, hopefully to contact the other ships and report that the card was put in the safe on the Radiance, and if no claims for it by the end of the cruise it would be moved to Miami headquarters, cancelled, and destroyed. Also the next day I gave a note to someone on the Zaandam and also on the Diamond Princess who were visiting Skagway to take to their pursers desks with info where the car was, and that the card was safe and not in bad hands. I didn't cancel it , hoping to return it to the worried owner somehow. I don't know what happened from them on. The last I heard 2 days later was that the card was still in the safe and unclaimed. I assume (and hope) that the owner discovered the absence fairly soon and called the emergency nunber to cancel the card. I sincerely hope it did not ruin her cruise experience. Strange things can happen sometimes. I was a bit disappointed that I could not personally return the important card, but expect no monetary loss for the loser, just some apprehension. So, it is a good idea to write down credit card numbers and cancellation phone numbers for all your credit cards and keep that info separate from the cards themselves sould a card be mislaid or dropped by accident in the hustle and bustle of the shops. Jim

So very nice of you to go to so much trouble to try and get this card to the owner! The world needs more people like you. I hope if I'm ever unlucky enough to lose my card someone as thoughful as you picks it up. :) At least you can have the peace of mind of knowing that you protected the card owner from the bad individuals who could've found it and used it. Makes you a kind of secret guardian. ;)

Cheryl

Sounds like you did the right thing... I am sure the owner would be appreciative.

When I cruise i usually take two cards, but don't keep them together. Maybe one in my room safe, and another in my wallet.

(It is possible that someone who lives there has a target card. You could use it anywhere and could get discounts on target.com, etc... but I agree that was probably doubtful)

I dont think it mattered that there was not a Target in the port, so many companies are putting their brand as a boutique credit card, but they are still backed and accepted by Visa, MC or even AMEX.

I think you did a great thing.

We were at a Target (of all places) in North Dallas last year and found some lady's entire wallet in the basket of the shopping cart. I felt bad going through it but we were able to find a phone number for her husband who returned it about 20 minutes later. It turned out she lived about a half mile away from us and came to our house to get it. She was so thankful.

The Target Visa is a regular Visa, not a Target Card. I use my Target Visa everywhere and on my last Cruise also. Just to clear up the fact hhat this is a regular Visa. I'm sure she is thanking you for finding it and turning it in.

Joyce

My DH and I each take a credit card with us, in case one is lost or stolen.

Great advice to take along an information sheet with credit card #'s and contact numbers to cancel. On the back of my VISA there is an 800 number to call to report loss. If I were to find another persons card, I would call that number, so the person who lost it would not have to worry that it was being used fraudulently. The credit card company can make a note of that for the file.

I always thank store clerks when they ask for my ID when using a credit card. Some of them have stated they think it is intrusive, but I feel a bit safer that they look at my ID and then at me. I know if they steal the whole wallet, they have your ID, but possibly don't look much like you!

I think you did the right thing although it turns out the women was not on your ship.

Here's my story about losing something on an excursion. My family group of eight were climbing the Dunn's River Falls in Ocho Rios when my husband turned to me and knocked my prescription sunglasses off.

He immediately started looking for them by going down the falls and never found them. Fortunately, my brother-in-law led me the rest of the way up and out of the falls since I could no longer see much!

Anyway, without much hope we checked the lost and found on the ship that evening and there they were. There was no record of who turned them in so I couldn't thank them personally, but I was very grateful.

I was on my honeymoon on the Grandeur and our last stop was Freeport and my wife and I went Dolphin Swimming and stopped on the way back to pick up picture of my wife swimming. Well I must have dropped my Credit Card some where at the shop. We returned to the ship and realized it after we left port and we were sailing home. I went to the purser desk and alowed me free of charge to call the place we bought the pics. Noone saw it. So I went to the internet cafe and got a 1800 number from the website and went back to the pursers desk and they allowed me again to call free of charge to the company and cancel my Credit card. The Pursers desk was very understanding of the whole situation.

A few years ago, I was flying home from a business trip and as I went to put my carry on under the seat in front of me I noticed this little black box.. it turned out to be someone's Palm Pilot. I turned it on and went through the information stored inside in the hopes of finding a phone number of anyone who might know the owner. Eventually I was ablo get number of the owner and made arrangements to overnight it to them in Colorado. To say the least the person was extremely grateful to get this back. They offered me a $100.00 which I declined.

$15 to get it for them to do a wire transfer of the $1000 or whatever amount on the cash card. You use it where AMEX is taken like a credit card, or at ATM to get cash, or even at the bank of a cruiseship since they are FREE no ATM fee to give us cash.

I had my pocket picked as I was picking up a woman's purse that spilled, not knowing it was a set up. They got my card. I instantly went to the AMEX office right there & told them. They got on the computer & killed the card plus the person was arrested when he used it. I got another card with the remaining cash I had on it, nothing lost.

I was told by the Purser that he would also have replaced the card as he has them in his office for folks. So AMEX is great!!!

Just goes to show how many decent fairminded people there are in this great land of ours!

Kudos to all of you, I know if a situation like that happened to me I would be greatful for people like you all. And if I ever find anything I always turn it in.

Could never use something that did not belong to me, was not brought up that way.

On the CCL Inspiration several years ago, there were four of us in the cabin, and my daughter found two credit cards under the mattress of the top bunk, where she had been sleeping. We turned them into the Purser's office, and it turned out that they berlonged to the occupants of our cabin the week before. The guy had been frantic, and had reported them as "missing". I was assured they would be returned to ther owner. I still can't figure out why he put them under the matress instead of in the safe!

FYI: A Target Visa donates 1% of purchases to the school of your choice.

I too once found a Visa in the parking lot of the mall 2 weeks prior to Christmas. Went into Sears and asked for a phone book, tried to look up the persons name but no luck on an exact or close match. Being that it was a women any of the mens names might have been her house but it was a common name and would have taken hours to call each one. I called the number on the back of the card and asked it they could contact the card holder and I would return it to her. Instead they cancelled her card two weeks before Christmas, I FELT SO TERRIBLE. If only I went the extra mile trying to call each and every mans name in the phone book.

TIP: We too make photo copies of our cards then write down the 800 number next to each. We keep this paper in our cabin safe along with copies of our passports & Drivers Licenses. My husband also carries one banks visa and I carry a different banks thus if you have to cancel one you still have another that works.

BonVoyage

Dawna

It is good to know that there are still honest and honorable people in this world, even though they seldom make the news. I will probably never know what became of the lost Target Visa Card that I found, but I rest assured that it was not abused or exploited. The advice to keep a separate list of credit card numbers with cancellation phone numbers is probably applicable not only on cruises but also every time we leave our homes. Nice heartwarming stories here. Thank you. Jim

Jim, you are a good guy. :)

My husband lost his wallet while tubing down a ski slope with my daughter in the local mountains a year or two ago; I was home and out that night and came home to a message on our machine from the person who found it. The person ALSO called my husband's cell (service was very spotty) and the next day finally hooked up with my husband and drove OUT OF HIS WAY to meet with him to return the wallet. REALLY amazing person, who of course would not accept any type of reward.

I love hearing stories like this, renews my faith that most people ARE really good. :)

If you are heading to the Caribbean or out of the country, make sure that the 800 number on the back of your credit card will work outside of the US. In many cases they do not! If you call your cc company, they will give you a regular number to report a lost/stolen card when out of the country. Many people don't realize this until trouble strikes!

We've been on both sides of the "lost and found":

Our son went hiking in a river gorge about an hour and a half away from home one time. He had his cell phone with him. We hadn't heard from him for a while, so we called and got his voice mail. Obviously, he was not in an area that had cell phone reception. A few hours later, we got a call from his cell phone. But it wasn't him on the phone! A middle-aged couple had been hiking on the same trail and had found his phone. We thanked them profusely and arranged to meet them in a nearby college town (where the husband of the couple worked) the next day. When our son arrived home later on that afternoon, he wasn't even aware that he had dropped his phone on the trail! Talk about lucky!

We stopped to get cash from a local ATM one time and discovered someone else's card still in the machine. We ejected the card. It had a photo of the the cardholder on it and her name. But, of course, no phone number. We called the bank, and they were no help. They offered to cancel the card, but that would have just been a big problem for the card holder. So, we pulled out the phone books. The owner's name last name was fairly common. I don't even remember how many phone calls it took, but we finally found her. She offered to come by our house or meet her wherever we wished to retrieve her card. We were only too happy to see her reaction when we handed her the ATM card. It really feels great to do something so simple, yet make someone so happy.

Nice to know that there are so many honest people left in the world. :)

Another credit card tip when you are going on vacation, especially out of the country: Call your credit card company and tell them you are going on vacation, and may have unusual charges on your account. If you are leaving the country (which we cruisers typically do), tell them you may have international purchases as well. This quick phone call can prevent your card from being placed on a 'fraud alert' by mistake...which could be a major pain when on vacation.

sherry7 gives excellent advice. We have had our card put on the fraud alert a couple times when going on vacation and were then told about calling ahead from the credit card company. Since calling prior to each vacation, this hasn't happened again.

In the case being described by the original poster, the thing to do would have been for you to call the toll free number on the card and tell them you found the card and have them cancel it. For the cardholder, that would be the safest/best thing you could do. More than likely, when the cardholder noticed they lost it, they probably called the card issuer and had it canceled anyhow.

Anyhow it was very nice that you went to the lengths that you did to try and locate the owner.

Howard

I've had several card-finding incidents in recent years:

My friends and I found a woman's entire purse in a grocery store parking lot. She had put it on top of her car (why do people do that?????) and drove off. We saw her do this so we knew no one touched it besides us. We raced after her but she didn't see us. Of course, we located her and gave it back. She instantly counted the money in it before even really acknowledging us. I was a bit hurt. I wasn't looking for a reward but it was a bit insulting since we told her that we saw it fall off her car. I think she had about $200.

Recently I found a woman's wallet where I teach a night class. We left her messages on all her phone numbers. She came back in, unconcerned, about an hour later. She said she figured she dropped it in class and knew it was safe with us???? Yikes, I would've been frantic.

The weirdest one though was that I found a guy's wallet and credit and MAC cards on the sidewalk outside where I worked at the time. It had no phone information for him. All I could find was the phone number of his bank. I called them to tell them. They seemed pretty unconcerned and even distracted. Eventually the police came but they too seemed distracted. I couldn't understand why no one seemed too concerned about contacting the guy who lost his wallet. After the police left, someone came in to work and asked us to turn the tv on. We did--it was 9/11. We found out the awful story that was unfolding on 9/11 and all of a sudden the wallet seemed so inconsequential.

Archived