Is it Possible to Reserve an Excursion and Pay with Onboard Credit?

We're arguing in circles at this point so let's just agree to disagree.

The bottom line, no-BS truth is this policy - whatever you want to call it - is to the benefit of RCI. By restricting use of OBC to only when you are physically present on the ship - a policy that many other cruise lines, as mentioned, do not have - they benefit only themselves. It is of zero benefit to you, the consumer. That is a fact, not opinion.

Now, if you want to argue that RCI's policy leads to, on average, more OBC being issued to consumers, that would be a discussion worth having, but my experience (my most recent one aside, and that is a complete anomaly) is that the OBC offered to most consumers is in line with the industry, and primarily meant to "prime the pump" so that consumers get used to spending money on-ship. There are many studies that show "small credit" up front helps consumers break through the "spending barrier" - i.e. you might mentally have trouble spending that first dollar, but if you get that first dollar "free" then the second dollar is much easier to spend. However RCI apparently doesn't believe (and probably has the math to back it up) this yields as much of a return if that "first dollar" is spent off the ship, even if it's for something on it.

This isn't an overall slam on RCI. The cruises I have had with them have been for the most part far above those on other "big ship" lines in terms of service, amenities, and the ships themselves. I like RCI quite a bit but that doesn't mean I'm going to pretend that some things they do aren't a little too tilted towards the bottom line. They are in business to make money, I get it, so am I. Just be aware.

We're arguing in circles at this point so let's just agree to disagree.

The bottom line, no-BS truth is this policy - whatever you want to call it - is to the benefit of RCI. By restricting use of OBC to only when you are physically present on the ship - a policy that many other cruise lines, as mentioned, do not have - they benefit only themselves. It is of zero benefit to you, the consumer. That is a fact, not opinion.

Well put

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Forums mobile app

Congratulations on the obc. Very nice if you were going to book that room anyway.

I'd wait to book your excursions. You should be able to do it from the interactive tv in your room, or get to the excursions desk early.

Most of the big tours don't fill up right away. The things that do are the capacity-controlled things, like the Segway tours (only take 10-20 people). Read the tour description carefully. If it says bus or catamaran you're probably ok.