Smoking on balconies

coxy

Some lines have already banned e cigs and e cigs on board share the exact same policy as cigarettes.

One of the main reasons they cite is that passengers cannot differentiate between an e cig and a regular cigarette.

Another reason is that most e-cigs are cheaply made and sold in shoddy shops or the internet, the electronics do not conform to EU specs, google e-cig charger fires, some interesting videos.

The WHO last month advised e-cigs should be banned in public places, some would argue a balcony is a public place.

Airlines incl BA have now banned them.

I know Aircraft have banned them...

I have as part of my job, researched this extensively, and Some chargers have caught fire and yes there have been fatalities linked to counterfeit goods where the charger explodes, the same can be said of dodgy phone chargers, one of which killed a family of 5 recently. Are we to ban people from bringing gang leads and chargers unless they are PAT?

Where's the balance here? If I'm on my balcony, using an e-cigarette which gives off water vapour, how the hell would you know I was using it, jeez....

Where's the balance here? If I'm on my balcony, using an e-cigarette which gives off water vapour, how the hell would you know I was using it, jeez....

Royal Caribbean wouldn't know I was drinking my own tanqueray on my balcony but it's still banned.

I'm not saying I have an opinion either way I'm humbling saying in my opinion and looking at what other lines are ALREADY doing in relation to e-cig bans, I expect it to happen on P&O sooner rather than later.

"Electronic Cigarettes (e-cigs): In general, most cruise lines consider e-cigs the same as traditional cigarettes and all smoking policies apply. This is typically because enforcement can be difficult because crew and passengers have a hard time distinguishing between them."

Again dont shoot the messenger, my other half works in the industry and the trends are towards banning e-cigs apart from the exact same places cigarettes are allowed.

But yes, e-cig away on your upcoming cruise.

I'm not shooting the messenger but had been forced to defend myself prior against accusations of being antisocial, unreasonable and obviously no better than a criminal!

I'm just trying to lighten the thread and I'm not having a go just feel that with smoking, there doesn't seem to be a happy middle ground of compromise.

Thankfully Rich Leeds does not appear representative of the majority attitude to e-ciggs. They are openly used in our local hostelries, and apart from a little curiosity and mild amusement at what these devices have morphed into, no one seems to have a problem with them. Its all down to education :)

Cb

Whilst I can understand that smokers will be unhappy at the balcony ban on 'real' cigarettes (personal choice etc etc), the fact remains that one persons enjoyment of a cigarette on their balcony often results in displeasure for several others who don't appreciate the stench invading their nostrils - even if there was no health issue.

Although E-Cigarettes are currently allowed, I think they will most likely be prohibited in due course, for two principal reasons. Firstly, recent research issued within the last 2 weeks is pointing towards adverse health implications of these devices. Secondly, with most non-smoking passengers breathing a big sigh of relief at the smoking ban on balconies, a passenger seen puffing away on an E-cigarette is likely to result in a report to P&O staff and, although the devices are currently permitted, I suspect that they will tire at having to deal with these reports.

As others have pointed out, many organisations have recently extended their smoking prohibitions to include E-cigarettes, so I would hazard a guess that P&O will as well. However, users of these devices can probably relax for now. P&O were at least 5 years overdue with the restrictions on 'real' cigarettes on balconies, so it's a fair bet that they will take their time on this one as well.