Mount Liamuiga Volcano Hike

Ciref

I would like to take the Mount Liamuiga Volcano Hike. I am 59 years old but in good physical condition for my age.

I am deciding between going with the Royal Caribbean shore excursion, Royston or Thenford Grey in mid July.

The RCI excursion guarantees that I will get back on time and I am guessing that they will probably move at an easier pace then the private tours. On the other hand I think the private tours will be smaller groups giving me more attention and if I can keep up I would like the quicker ascent. In addition the private tour is 30% cheaper. Not a deciding factor but all things being equal I'd rather save the money.

I would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks.

Eric

We did the tour with Royston and would recommend him. He was great, knew all the best photo ops and did quite a comprehensive island tour. We talked with people who did the volcano hike through the ship, and they had fun, but the hike was the *only* thing they did.

St. Kitts is a beautiful and interesting island, and you can see so much more on a private tour. Since you are in good condition, I suspect you would be frustrated at the pace set by the ship tours.

Traveling with Royston, we also hiked Bloody River (by special request), stopped at Romney Manor, took pics at Black Rocks and Timothy Hill, and circumnavigated the whole island. We saw so much more than the people on the ship tour, and Royston still had us back at the dock an hour before sailaway.

Edited by CoralReef

Coral,

Thanks for the response. I will talk to Royston. I am going by myself since my wife does not want to hike up the volcano. I'll have to see if he can accommodate me.

Eric

• 3 weeks later...

We did this through a ship excursion (celebrity) - there were 50 or so people on the hike - it was a VERY fast pace to get us all up and down the mountain on time - there were about five folks who did not make it.

If I had it to do over again, I would book a private hike so that I could go at my own pace. The previous poster is correct - the hike was the only activity we did that day - it was fun and we enjoyed it - but I would have enjoyed it more at a slower pace, and while there was plenty of time in the port stop for that - it wasn't an option through the ship's tour.

Having said all of that - at the time, I was 46 years old - running about 25 or 30 miles weekly - had done several half marathons, the Disney full marathon and a couple of middle length triathlons - this was a HARD hike - very hard and I don't think I'd ever want to do it again. It is also very muddy and slippery - several times it felt very dangerous. I like hiking - favorite hike ever probably to Middleham falls in Dominica - though seven sisters in Grenada is nice, too.... the volcano was just a bit much for me.

But back to your question - if it were me, I'd do the private hike... especially if you want to set your own pace.

We did this through a ship excursion (celebrity) - there were 50 or so people on the hike - it was a VERY fast pace to get us all up and down the mountain on time - there were about five folks who did not make it.

If I had it to do over again, I would book a private hike so that I could go at my own pace. The previous poster is correct - the hike was the only activity we did that day - it was fun and we enjoyed it - but I would have enjoyed it more at a slower pace, and while there was plenty of time in the port stop for that - it wasn't an option through the ship's tour.

Having said all of that - at the time, I was 46 years old - running about 25 or 30 miles weekly - had done several half marathons, the Disney full marathon and a couple of middle length triathlons - this was a HARD hike - very hard and I don't think I'd ever want to do it again. It is also very muddy and slippery - several times it felt very dangerous. I like hiking - favorite hike ever probably to Middleham falls in Dominica - though seven sisters in Grenada is nice, too.... the volcano was just a bit much for me.

But back to your question - if it were me, I'd do the private hike... especially if you want to set your own pace.

I did the ship excursion hike two years ago at 52 and I would recommend a private hike. Although they guarentee the ship won't leave without you, if you slip and break your leg, they will not wait (that happened a couple of cruises later). The guides were so paranoid about being late they basically ran us up and down the mountain. Many of our group did not make it. It is a rigorous hike alone; however the rains in the rain forest made it very slippery and quite dangerous. We are experienced hikers having done Mt Washington and several 4000 footers but the torrential rains and mud slides made it more difficult for us. We ended up going off trail with the guide and through the forest due to flash floods. It was not pleasant. We were covered in mud at the end. I would recommend bringing your hiking shoes. (though our guide went barefoot, lol) Although I am proud of myself for getting to the top (didn't see a thing due to fog) I would never do it again!

I did this hike years ago with a private guide and my wife's brother-in-law and her nephew & niece did it several years ago with Royston. Nobody can be certain about the weather. The hike can be difficult even under ideal conditions. We were staying on the island so time was not an issue.

I would like to take the Mount Liamuiga Volcano Hike. I am 59 years old but in good physical condition for my age.

Eric, I was just there a couple of weeks ago, and unless you would describe yourself in peak physical condition and don't mind spending the next day recovering, I would consider another tour. Like Jborosara says, it is very physically demanding hike. My family and I didn't do this one, but we were at breakfast the day after with a couple who had done it. They were fairly young (mid-30's) and in decent physical shape, and they told us they were spent. They also said the view was amazing, and they were glad they did it, but make sure you're going into it with the right expectations.