Booking Dining Packages On Line

Great to here from someone with direct onboard experience.

Did you or anyone else you met use one of the 'a la carte' venues like Izumi and how was the OBC calculated, if so?

Did you notice if the offer was only for dinner reservations or did they open up lunchtime bookings to the promotion as well?

I'm curious to know how the a la carte venues work, as well. I would guess the OBC would be applied after your dinner there, if you had made the advance reservation online....anyone know for sure?

One other thing we found out while on the Oasis: the "per person" fee at Izumi's has been eliminated. It is now just the a la carte menu, just like going to Vintages or the Seafood Shack, though because Izumi's is so small, they still take reservations. So with that in mind, I'm wondering if that restaurant even counts towards the discount, since you no longer pay for the reservation.

Also, the discount may just be off of reservations fees - for example, I doubt you get both the discount off of the per person fee at Chops, then order the steak that costs more and then get the same discount off of that steak.

So my bet is it is JUST a discount off of any fees paid for per person reservations and not any a la carte or additional food/beverages/etc.

Love to hear someone confirm.

Edited by marklodi

Hi - this might help even more. Just received this in regards to our upcoming cruise on the Oasis via email:

SAVE UP TO 30% ON SPECIALTY DINING

Make 3 or more reservations in one of our specialty restaurants and receive an onboard credit to use during your cruise vacation.

NUMBER OF RESERVATIONS RECEIVE CREDIT TO SPEND ONBOARD

3 = 20% OF THE VALUE OF YOUR RESERVATION

4 = 25% OF THE VALUE OF YOUR RESERVATION

5+ = 30% OF THE VALUE OF YOUR RESERVATION

Receive 20% of the value of your reservation if you book a specialty dining experience for the first day of your cruise. Traveling with the family? Kids ages 6-12 dine for only $8. Children younger than 5 years of age dine for free.

TERMS & CONDITIONS

*Dining package discount is applicable to all pre-cruise specialty dining reservations. If reservations are cancelled after the onboard credit is posted, the discount amount will be altered accordingly. Onboard credit is applied on Day 1 of the cruise and is given to the primary person on the cruise booking. Onboard credit applies only to food purchases (cover charge or a la carte) and is not combinable with any other offer. Reserve before you sail, and prices will be adjusted for kids once you are aboard, and reflected in your final account.

When reading this the wording is a little confusing do you know if kids are $8 at specialty restaurants just the first night? Every night? Only if you reserve 3 restaurants? Does anyone know the answer to this?

Also does everyone in your room have to book this to get the OBC or can say mom and dad reserve 3 and get the discount?

I'm also curious to see what restaurants work... like PP's said Izumi... or even Johnny Rockets...

I mean it would be hard to book 5 reservations on a ship like navigator if Izumi / Johnny Rockets doesn't count... Not saying I'm doing this just interested to see how it works or what restaurants work...

Edited by cb3thatsme

When reading this the wording is a little confusing do you know if kids are $8 at specialty restaurants just the first night? Every night? Only if you reserve 3 restaurants? Does anyone know the answer to this?

Also does everyone in your room have to book this to get the OBC or can say mom and dad reserve 3 and get the discount?

I'm also curious to see what restaurants work... like PP's said Izumi... or even Johnny Rockets...

I mean it would be hard to book 5 reservations on a ship like navigator if Izumi / Johnny Rockets doesn't count... Not saying I'm doing this just interested to see how it works or what restaurants work...

Hi - Not sure about some of your questions (all good ones), however I know Johnny Rockets doesn't count because they do not take reservations on the Oasis (and I don't believe anywhere else either).

I really do believe the discount is just for the reservation cost, and not for any additional items, such as a la carte food, drinks, etc. I also am fairly certain the discount is based on the total reservation cost - meaning whether it is just one person or the entire cabin. That shouldn't matter. But again, these are just my take on this. RCI or someone with more experience than I would have to verify for you, especially on the question about whether kids are $8 just first night (which is what I THINK it is) or every night.

Good luck, and please let us know what you discover.

Hi - Not sure about some of your questions (all good ones), however I know Johnny Rockets doesn't count because they do not take reservations on the Oasis (and I don't believe anywhere else either).

I really do believe the discount is just for the reservation cost, and not for any additional items, such as a la carte food, drinks, etc. I also am fairly certain the discount is based on the total reservation cost - meaning whether it is just one person or the entire cabin. That shouldn't matter. But again, these are just my take on this. RCI or someone with more experience than I would have to verify for you, especially on the question about whether kids are $8 just first night (which is what I THINK it is) or every night.

Good luck, and please let us know what you discover.

Thanks for the response :)

I don't sail until February so I will just wait and see if I get an email with the OBC offer. Its not like any of the things are going to deter me from cruising or anything lol It just would be nice to get OBC :D

I read that statement as kids being $8 in specialty restaurants only the as first night too but I wanted to see what others thought...

I also have to say it would be nice if RCCL offered specialty pricing for kids in Specialty restaurants (all nights) I mean with two kids 10 - 11 at Chops (which we are planning to do) there is a big difference between $70 and $16! I'm not saying they need to make it $8 every night for every restaurant but even Half price like NCL would be very nice! Especially as RCCL seems to be heading into a place with MANY Specialty restaurants...

I guess they might not want kids in the specialty restaurants so that may be why they don't offer a kids discount but if thats the case make the Specialty restaurants 18+ like DCL!

Again not saying I hate RCCL or anything like that at all... in fact I love all of the offerings they seem to have on their ship, customer service over the phone has been great and I can't wait to try it out next February :D just saying a couple of little changes would be a nice bonus!

I understand your points completely. While on the Oasis in May for 2 weeks, we ate in specialty restaurants 7 times (not counting Johnny Rockets), and I honestly cannot remember any kids in any of them. While we have two of our own - now adults - AND my wife runs a daycare, so we're definitely not kid-adverse, I can honestly say it was wonderful not having any screaming or loud kids...

Actually, I take that back. One night, in the Solarium Bistro, there was a large Italian family eating near us - about 10 of them or so, and there were 2 young girls, perhaps 8 or 9. I must say they were the most well-behaved kids I had ever seen. Smiling, happy, but polite and quiet. We almost stopped by their table on the way out to compliment them and their parents, but were concerned the language barrier might have made it difficult.

But I digress. Again, good points and I completely agree that RCI - not just in this area, but many others - could stand to make their deals and other communications much more clearer and detailed.

• 2 weeks later...

I was finally able to make the reservations we wanted today which is 121 days before we sail. I made the reservation logging in using the 6/10 email offer with the "save up to 30% on specialty dining". It says you get an on board credit in the as but I have no idea if I actually got it or not. It charged me the regular price at check out. We will see in 121 days!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app