Time-lapse video: Ketchikan

Spaniel Lover

If you haven't yet been to Ketchikan and you're curious about what it looks like... take a look at this video. It's a time lapse of what you see as you arrive and depart from Ketchikan on a cruise ship.

[YOUTUBE]qj4f1k4BWM0[/YOUTUBE]

Spectacular. I'd love to learn how to make a video like that.

I did something similar two years ago. I used this: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/581220-REG/Manfrotto_155_Double_Ball_Joint.html to clamp a Canon 40D with 10-22mm lens to our balcony divider. The Canon timer remote was set to take one picture per minute, and in some cases to save battery I'd set it to wait until 4:30am or so. QuickTime 7 Pro ($30) can be used to build the video from the stills.

I set the camera to manual focus, daylight WB, and aperture priority at f/22 and ISO 100, with Safety Shift enabled. In that combo, it chooses the right shutter speed to get a proper exposure, and if 30 seconds isn't enough, then it opens up the aperture towards f/3.5 as much as necessary to make 30s sufficient. It does result in a noticeable shift in stop-action versus time blurs as the light gets dark, but gives me a very broad time range to work with. I do think "next time" I'd choose ISO 400, for less shutter time overall and therefore less battery draw (I think).

Hi Jim! When I saw "Spaniel Lover" on a cruise board, I knew it must be you! Lol.

Great video! We are doing Alaska next summer. Do you have a review on your website?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Edited by disneybride96