Boston Hotels

YasielPuig

We are going to spend a few days in Boston before our cruise. We would like some recommendations for hotels. I realize now that there are no reasonable hotels and that the time of year is largely the culprit. I guess I am looking for hotels close to historic highlights and good food.

What is the exact date(s) you need a hotel. Boston is a small city and all the downtown hotels have good access to the historical highlights and food. That's why I have no problem recommending booking blind hotels on Hotwire as long as they have a high approval rating. Certain hotels seem to be constantly available on Hotwire.

Last year we stayed at the Crowne Plaza in Newton. It is about 12 minutes from downtown Boston. If you have a car it's not much of a hassle, except for the expensive downtown parking. Hotel rate was reasonable for the city. Found some good local restaurants for breakfast with locals instead of tourists.

The issue with the Crowne Plaza is that it is right over the Mass Pike (literally). Might be some noise issues.

I had a roommate who worked in the office building next door to the Crowne Plaza (also over the Mass Pike). She didn't notice any noise issues. It's really not any louder than any other city street in that area, amazingly enough.

I've been in that office building, its not over the pike, but next to it, where the hotel is over the pike. While I have not stayed in the CP, I have heard people complain about the noise and possible vibrations from trucks and trains.

We are going to spend a few days in Boston before our cruise. We would like some recommendations for hotels. I realize now that there are no reasonable hotels and that the time of year is largely the culprit. I guess I am looking for hotels close to historic highlights and good food.

The OP is looking for a downtown Boston hotel and has not yet provided the details requested. IMO without a car, a hotel in Newton is not a practical option for the OP.

Edited by 138east

• 7 months later...
Will be in Boston late June, with a car. Would like to get a rec on a good hotel for post cruise sight seeing.

What are the exact dates you need a hotel? What is your budget? How many people? A car is useless in Boston. You should plan on paying to leave it in the cruise parking garage.

It looks like you're arriving back on the Dawn on June 19. For June 19-21 I'm seeing some excellent possibilities for you on Hotwire right now. Don't delay - make a decision! Any 4* plus hotel in Boston is going to be very very nice.

1). Waterfront area - 4* for $175 + tax -100% approval. Best guess - the Seaport

2). Waterfront area - 4.5* for $186 + tax - Best Guess - the Westin Waterfront

3). Copley Square area - 4.5* for $180 + tax - no guess on this one

As I suggested, leave your car parked at the port. Drop off your cruise luggage at the car and pick up your Boston 2 day bag. With less luggage, the T can be your friend.

In the snow last week I hotwired a Copley hotel and got the Sheraton. The sign out front listed $51 for parking, so if you must move your car, be prepared to pay big bucks.

It looks like you're arriving back on the Dawn on June 19. For June 19-21 I'm seeing some excellent possibilities for you on Hotwire right now. Don't delay - make a decision! Any 4* plus hotel in Boston is going to be very very nice.

1). Waterfront area - 4* for $175 + tax -100% approval. Best guess - the Seaport

2). Waterfront area - 4.5* for $186 + tax - Best Guess - the Westin Waterfront

3). Copley Square area - 4.5* for $180 + tax - no guess on this one

As I suggested, leave your car parked at the port. Drop off your cruise luggage at the car and pick up your Boston 2 day bag. With less luggage, the T can be your friend.

In the snow last week I hotwired a Copley hotel and got the Sheraton. The sign out front listed $51 for parking, so if you must move your car, be prepared to pay big bucks.

Nice tips, thanks a ton! Exactly what I was looking for.

U could check out some of the parking lot websites and see what rates would be for June for 2 day stay.

http://boston.bestparking.com/neighborhoods/seaport-district-parking

Here's a terrific website u could check out. You can select hotels by neighborhood or name and see what is available and price.

http://spothero.com/boston/hotel-parking

I just did a live chat with Spot Hero website and asked if you can book the garage this early and they said you can. So check the parking prices, book your hotel and you are good to go!

http://bostonparking.org/best-boston-parking-apps/

(download to your phone)

You can compare what it would cost to leave at Black Falcon and whether it's worth moving your vehicle. As 138 East has indicated, parking prices in Boston are sticker shock as are the hotels. Hopefully all the snow will be gone by the time you go on your cruise! LOL Enjoy your cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

My DH and I will be coming in on 4/30 for one night prior to our cruise and staying two nights post cruise 5/8-5/10. I'm thinking we would like to stay in different parts of town pre and post if that make sense in Boston. This is our first trip to the area so any info appreciated.

I'd like to keep it around $250 per night but would be willing to do a lower priced hotel on the pre-night and spend a bit more on the post-nights. Location is more important to us then frills - happy with most marriott/hampton inn level.

We definitely want to see sights pre and post. Would like to go to a show one night for sure (recommendations?). We enjoy walking and shopping so that is not a problem. We do not plan on getting a car, but due to luggage a shuttle option to/from airport and/or pier would be nice if possible.

Would love to know where you would stay pre and post and what to do in each area.

My DH and I will be coming in on 4/30 for one night prior to our cruise and staying two nights post cruise 5/8-5/10. I'm thinking we would like to stay in different parts of town pre and post if that make sense in Boston. This is our first trip to the area so any info appreciated.

I'd like to keep it around $250 per night but would be willing to do a lower priced hotel on the pre-night and spend a bit more on the post-nights. Location is more important to us then frills - happy with most marriott/hampton inn level.

We definitely want to see sights pre and post. Would like to go to a show one night for sure (recommendations?). We enjoy walking and shopping so that is not a problem. We do not plan on getting a car, but due to luggage a shuttle option to/from airport and/or pier would be nice if possible.

Would love to know where you would stay pre and post and what to do in each area.

No hotel or pier shuttle options unless you book in a "fringe" area.

Better rates post cruise than pre cruise because post cruise is a weekend and pre cruise is a business weekday.

Hotwire is your friend. Pre cruise under standard hotel rates look for Club Quarters. This is more of a low frills business hotel located in the heart of the downtown financial district within walking distance of the Boston Common and Faneuil Hall/quincy Market. $229 plus tax. I have stayed in this hotel several times. It's a in aquiet but safe to walk area at night.

For post cruise Hotwire secret hotel rates has a 4.5* Back Bay/Copley hotel for $179 plus tax. This is a great price. It will put you in a very very nice Back Bay hotel with access to restaurants, shopping, and transportation. This will be a more upscale fun area to stay in post cruise.

• 1 year later...
Looking for a post cruise hotel in Boston for Oct. 7 to 9-10. Hoping to stick to about $200 or so.

$200 is too tight a budget for downtown Boston. How far out are you willing to stay? Are you willing to prepay on Hotwire?

One strategy could be to make a cancellable reservation now and watch Hotwire. That is Columbus Day weekend and I have seen some good deals in the past, but it's too early now for them to appear.