Marriott Hotel in New Orleans Feedback??

jstrutton

We will be staying at the Marriott New Orleans in Downtown. Anyone stayed there before and can provide feedback as far as proximity to everything. Also, any recommendations for restaurants.

We will be in New Orleans from Thursday night till Sunday (cruise leave then).

First time in New Orleans so would be interested in feedback.

Thanks in advance

Jay

We will be staying at the Marriott New Orleans in Downtown. Anyone stayed there before and can provide feedback as far as proximity to everything. Also, any recommendations for restaurants.

Thanks in advance

Jay

Which Marriott? Canal St. or Convention Center Blvd.?

I have stayed at that Marriott, and found it to be very nice! It was walking distance to the Quarter but not in the thick of it, so that was nice.

A couple of fun places I like in the Quarter for a drink are Pat O'Brien's for their Hurricane, and Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop for the purple slushie...just one will do ya though so beware! :D

You're pretty close to the Hotel Monteleone at 214 Royal Street, Stop by and see the Carousel Bar. It's a real carousel made into a bar...very cool. Well, maybe not exactly, but it looks like a real carousel! Just don't drink too much... the bar IS spinning...LOL!

Edited by BigEasyCC

Thanks in advance

Jay

Dude...it's New Orleans! If you cannot find great food you aint lookin' :D

Price Range; $ to $$$$

It is normally a zoo and you will wait in line, but go to Cafe Du Monde ($) in Jackson Square one morning for beignets.

I can personally recommend Commander's Palace ($$$$), Court of Two Sisters ($$$$) - breakfast/brunch, Nola (Emeril Lagesse - $$$$), Arnauds ($$$$), Antoines ($$$$), Royal House Oyster Bar ($$$), Pat O'Briens ($$) and Crossroads at House of Blues ($$).

Can you tell we like to eat? :p

That is a great hotel. We have stayed there and the Sheraton across the street. You are right off Canal and Decatur so just a stroll down Decatur and you will be at Jackson Square. Definitely stop at Cafe Du Monde. Another of our favorite places is Deanie's Seafood on Iberville. From the hotel walk north on Canal and take a right on Iberville (one block past Bourbon or you can walk down Bourbon if you feel adventurous!) Deanie's is at Iberville and Dauphine and has great seafood. The French Quarter has so many absolutely fabulous restaurants it is hard to go wrong. Most take reservations for dinner but will also seat you as a walk in if they can (might be a wait on Fri/Sat). The Court of Two Sisters is a very nice place for brunch, neat atmosphere. Stroll along the French Market and you will find all sorts of great food there too maybe try a Muffaletta from Central Grocery. The French Quarter is very walk-able from where you are, ENJOY!

If you want to learn more about NOLA there is a great Historical Park (Jean Lafitte) at 419 Decatur. It is actually a national park and there is a free tour everyday at 9:30 am. The Park Rangers are very knowledgeable and will tell you all about the FQ and some of the historical places that are walk-able from there. Most people are in NOLA for the food and party so this tour is never very full and if you enjoy a bit of history you will love it!

Edited by TexCrsr

Thankks for the feedback, really appreciate it. We will there in early Aug, so I imagine that the temperature will be muggy as well, but that is OK.

Jay

Let's see...it will be August in city that is below sea level, bordered on two sides by swamp, one side by a HUGE lake and the Mississippi River on the fourth side. "Muggy" is one word for it. :eek: :D

It is a great city and an easy place to have a marvelous time. Enjoy your stay.

ETA: Just so you will fit in, the proper pronunciation of the city name is "Narlins".

Edited by TC1957

We've stayed there for about half of our cruises. Very nice and typical of the larger Marriott's. It is handy to everything!! You almost can't find a bad place to eat. You will have time to see many of the best places in the Canal/Convention Center/Garden District. Make a list of the things that are important to you. Plenty of water and pace yourself, it will be hot and muggy!! We are pretty well traveled and I think NO is one of the top two or three cities in the U.S.

There are two Marriotts on Canal St. There is the big one at 555 Canal St and then a JW Marriott at 614 Canal St. (I thought I had a conference at one only to find out it was at the other - JW Marriott. Fortunately it was only a short walk). The bigger one was featured in a story on CNBC - it was amazing on how they turn the hotel around from one convention/conference to another.

There is a New Orleans section under Ports of Call on the website, so you may want to check that out, too. I agree with the comment - it you cannot find a good restaurant in New Orleans you are not looking! I do recommend http://www.nomenu.com - written by a local food critic. I use it all the time when I am trying to research places for business dinners.

Cafe du Monde is a must. I have lived here all of my life and it is my absolute favorite thing about living here (we have several in the suburbs, too). There is also one in the Riverwalk. My restaurant recommendations - Bayona or Cafe Adelaide for pricier and fancier. Mandina's on Canal St. (on the Canal St. streetcar line) and Zea's (on the St. Charles streetcar line) for casual. Shorts are fine at the last two - especially in August. I also like Cafe Maspero's on Decatur. The line may be long, but it goes quickly and the food is good and reasonable.