Caribbean Tour Operators w/WC Vans?

grab007

Hi!

We'll be taking an RCI Southern Caribbean cruise next year (Barbados, ST. Lucia, Antigua, Bonaire, Aruba, Grenada) and we're looking for any tour operators with WC Vans. DW cannot walk (MS) and needs a van for her WC. I know options are usually limited - we did find a good one in Bermuda last year so we were hoping we might have similar luck down south.:rolleyes:

I've started hitting the various island tourism sites but you can't beat CC'rs with experience!!

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

I found out to late that RCCL offered an accessible in Bonaire. I did not find any others and we just did that itinerary last Feb. if a step or two into a van works you can take a taxi tour. They are vans to room for a collapsible WC. Hope you have a good cruise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We are booked for a Southern cruise in Jan 2015 with our Uncle who is totally WC depend and we are having a very difficult finding accessible taxi on each island. We have emailed a few with no results. Its very frustrating to for me to have him on the cruise but for him to not be able to go enjoy the ports of call. :( In the past, he just usually stays on the ship while others in the group get off the ship. He is my ONLY Uncle and would love for him to be able to joy the ports of call.

Can your uncle transfer to a regular car type cab?? If you take a folding light-weight manual wheelchair, you can load this in the trunk after transferring him, and tour that way. We did this many times on cruises around the world with my mother.

In addition, some ports (you don't say what your ports are) have things to do that you can walk to, so you can push his wheelchair for him if you take a manual wheelchair.

The reality is that these ports are not covered by the ADA, and that adapted vehicles (ramp vans or lift vans) are VERY expensive, even in the USA, and usually prohibitive in other countries for the average local cabbie or cab company.

We are booked for a Southern cruise in Jan 2015 with our Uncle who is totally WC depend and we are having a very difficult finding accessible taxi on each island. We have emailed a few with no results. Its very frustrating to for me to have him on the cruise but for him to not be able to go enjoy the ports of call. :( In the past, he just usually stays on the ship while others in the group get off the ship. He is my ONLY Uncle and would love for him to be able to joy the ports of call.

Fully understand that your uncle's enjoyment is a concern of yours. However please do not take this the wrong way as it's something that really needs to be considered. Though you find it frustrating to have your uncle go on cruise and not be able to enjoy the ports, that may not be how he thinks of it. Often times the ship is the destination in which case your uncle might prefer to remain on the ship and have time to himself. Before you spend a lot of time on attempting to locate accessible tours/taxis you might consider actually asking you Uncle what he prefers.

Personally my favorite part of cruising is the ship ! Though I prefer to remain on the ship, had my niece/nephew taken the time to locate a tour without consulting me first I would feel obligated to go and may not really enjoy doing so but wouldn't want to disappoint them. I love being on the ship when everyone is off in port. It's so much more relaxing.

Edited by xxoocruiser

Though you find it frustrating to have your uncle go on cruise and not be able to enjoy the ports, that may not be how he thinks of it.

I agree 100%. I going on a cruise soon knowing that I will be unable to go on any excursions with my family. I'm happy to just stay on the ship while they go out and do their thing. Occasionally I'll get off and tool around a bit in the port area with them but most of the time I'm on the ship and very happy to be there.

Thanks y'all. It's true that I know ill feel guilty, but I understand exactly what y'all are saying. My Uncle has cruised before with his wife and usually they just stay right in the port area where he can venture on his own. He did relay to us stubborn nieces not to worry about him but to be sure our Aunt has a great time. He is able to be lifted up and placed into a taxi, by our 2 strong husbands, but im sure his pride will not allow for that. We will honor his wishes with whatever he chooses. Thanks again !! :)

Haven't done it yet but found Sun Tours in Barbados this morning (got a hint from my brother's mother in law who spends Christmas in Barbados every year).

They have a wheelchair accessible "bus" type vehicle (listed on their website)

Wheelchair Lift

Fully Air Conditioned

Remote control wheel chair lift

Safety locks to secure wheel chair to flooring

*Seats 6 additional passengers

http://suntoursbarbados.com/our-fleet.html

They have several tours listed and I'm thinking of booking with them in the fall.

Edited by meatloafsfan