Car rental or private driver in Quebec City?

My wife and I will be in Quebec City in early August on the Maasdam. We don't really want to book an excursion as there is so much to do just by walking around. My wife, however, really wants to take an early morning detour to Sainte Anne de Beaupre. The reviews of the excursion with the cruise line indicate you're only at the church for a short time. Searches of local tours doesn't seem to yield anything much better.

I was looking at renting a car as Sainte Anne is pretty close (30 min) and pretty cheap, ~$45 for the day. Has anyone done this? Is it pretty easy to get to the church? I'm thinking if we went in the morning, spent a couple hours and came back we'd have 4-5 hours to walk around Old Town before getting back on the boat.

Conversely, are there private drivers at or near the port that can be hired for the day? The price through HAL is way too high in my opinion. If there are, is this the better option?

I would definitely rent a car (reserve first).

From what I remember reading in roll calls and different posts, hiring a private driver is about 50 $/hour. Once you come off the ship there is a taxi stand for long rides. The price, if I am correct, is also 50$ per hour.

The Basilica is not very far from Québec city but if you have a GPS, I would bring it as the road signs will be in French. Not terribly complicated but can be unsettling. Here are the basics: Exit=Sortie, East=Est, West=Ouest, South=Sud, North=Nord.

For an itinerary and GPS coordinates, the new Tom Sheridan Port Guide will be helpful:

http://www.tomsportguides.com/QuebecCity-06-30-2014.pdf

Also, here is a Trip Advisor thread that might help you to find the cheapest place to rent:

http://www.tripadvisor.ca/ShowTopic-g155033-i134-k6658854-Car_Rental_in_Quebec_City-Quebec_City_Quebec.html

Hope my info helps.