Car service

UNV-IT!!!

I suspect you have closed the door on using taxis because of the quantity of luggage you're planning to take. In fact, I strongly recommend you inform the car service about the quantity and size of your luggage when booking the car. I have a strong suspicion that your remarkable 55 Euro price quote will escalate when the company assigns an appropriately-sized car for the volume of your luggage.

The quote was with the 5 actually bags. Again the purse and back pack do not count. The bag size again were no issue. No bags are larger then 25"s which again is fine according to the car service. Also more then small enough for every trainer have booked.

Are you taking the southern trans-Atlantic route to a Florida port or the northern route to the port in NY? I've rarely heard either route described as "hot" although the southern route can still be moderate (low to mid-70s) at the end of October. For me, temps in that range simply means the basic wardrobe I've traveled with in Europe without needing the outer layers of fleece and light-weight down.

South route. And I'm not sure were you were seeing 70 degrees down south. I live in south Florida and last oct it was not 70 degrees. It was typically always hotter.

I do not think you need to pack COLD weather clothes per se.I have been in France in Oct and Nov and never needed anything warmer than fall clothes in layers in case it did get colder...even at Thanxgiving time in Paris.Spring clothes in layer should do you just fine and may even help to reduce your amount of luggage.It is not east raveling around Europe with a great number of bags unless you have someone to help you...really.You can always have laundry done at your hotle or find a laudromat.You guys are young and should not need all the changes of clothes.Since you have traveled a great deal you must have some idea of what it is going to entail.Just saying.

As mentioned we live in south Florida. Anything under 70 degrees starts to feel cold to us. Considering these are the averages for Paris in oct

Temperature 54°F 12°C

Low Temperature 47°F 8°C

High Temperature 61°F 16°C

I think its safe to say we need to pack for COLD weather. Especially with the weather expected to be below 60. You may not think that's cold. But we do.

As mentioned we live in south Florida. Anything under 70 degrees starts to feel cold to us. Considering these are the averages for Paris in oct

Temperature 54°F 12°C

Low Temperature 47°F 8°C

High Temperature 61°F 16°C

I think its safe to say we need to pack for COLD weather. Especially with the weather expected to be below 60. You may not think that's cold. But we do.

I did not say don't pack for cold weather I said layers would be better. I think you will find the weather site to be an average, and not always true. I live in Tucson,AZ it was 106 today so SO FL would be cold for me?????? I don't think so.I spent many years on Sanibel Island as well.I was just rying to help you is all.

South route. And I'm not sure were you were seeing 70 degrees down south. I live in south Florida and last oct it was not 70 degrees. It was typically always hotter.

In post #18 you wrote, "As it will be cold in Europe but hot on the cruise home."

Of course it's going to be in the 80s or warmer once you're back on land in Florida. But that's one day -- perhaps two -- out of a 13-day cruise. The way you wrote your post suggested you would be packing a warm weather wardrobe for the duration of the trans-Atlantic cruise. Based on what I'm seeing on other threads on the topic, under the best conditions you could have sunny mild days although nights will always be chilly. The first few days out of Europe are routinely chilly.The weather for the majority of the cruise will depend on luck and Mother Nature.

You may want to read the posts in these threads. The word "warm" shows up with some frequency but never "hot." Of course, "cold," "windy," and "rainy" are showing up, too.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1810147

(Posts #7 and #10 are particularly useful)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1047905

https://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20071009110247AASRQ9R

Obviously, you'll pack as much as you want. But you've come to this board for meaningful advice and I'm trying to give you the most accurate information possible.

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

In post #18 you wrote, "As it will be cold in Europe but hot on the cruise home."

Of course it's going to be in the 80s or warmer once you're back on land in Florida. But that's one day -- perhaps two -- out of a 13-day cruise. The way you wrote your post suggested you would be packing a warm weather wardrobe for the duration of the trans-Atlantic cruise. Based on what I'm seeing on other threads on the topic, under the best conditions you could have sunny mild days although nights will always be chilly. The first few days out of Europe are routinely chilly.The weather for the majority of the cruise will depend on luck and Mother Nature.

You may want to read the posts in these threads. The word "warm" shows up with some frequency but never "hot." Of course, "cold," "windy," and "rainy" are showing up, too.

Obviously, you'll pack as much as you want. But you've come to this board for meaningful advice and I'm trying to give you the most accurate information possible.

I think you have given great advice ,and I have tried with the clothes in layers etc.,but not to sound snarky I don't think our advice will be heeded as he is a seasoned traveler just not to France. I hope they have a great trip.

Not to be rude but where in my thread did I ask for packing or luggage advice? I'm pretty sure I asked about car service. Yet your still going on about my bags.

I did not say don't pack for cold weather I said layers would be better. I think you will find the weather site to be an average, and not always true. I live in Tucson,AZ it was 106 today so SO FL would be cold for me?????? I don't think so.I spent many years on Sanibel Island as well.I was just rying to help you is all.

I appreciate your trying to help but again seems like your just ignoring the facts. Those numbers I posted were for this past year in Paris. So this year should be about the same. As I said 60 and below is COLD for me. I don't like layers. I'm not use to being bundled up for cold weather so more clothes just makes me too hot. I prefer pants, long sleeve shirt and a jacket. Simple.

Again this thread was about car service. Nothing more.

BTW. The people you quote in post 7 and 10 live in PA and CT respectively. They both deal with freezing weather and snow. So of course cold is subjective to them. Secondly neither talk about air temp. When 70 degrees was mentioned he was talking about "ocean temp".

Not to be rude but where in my thread did I ask for packing or luggage advice? I'm pretty sure I asked about car service. Yet your still going on about my bags....

It's clear that you dislike the information I've been sharing. Unfortunately, the nature of the internet is such that once we put a query into the public sphere, we no longer control how people respond. Reading your posts, I became concerned about the security of your possessions and the ease with which you'll be able to move about during your European visit. Nevertheless, you'll be happy to know that this will be my last post since you consider my experience in both your destinations to be irrelevant.

Here's what we've learned about your past travel as a result of things you've written on this thread:

o Probably, you drive to a FL port from home also in FL.

o As a result, you've had no need to restrict luggage for weight or cost considerations.

o You have a point of view about packing that has resulted in packing 30" suitcases and seven pieces of luggage for a seven day trip.

These facts/point of view are not appropriate for European travel.

The fact that you are young and mobile and can move all that luggage around does not address the question of whether you should. I tried to supply verifiable facts that might lead you to reconsider your plans. All that has happened is that you're more committed to staying the course.

As for the 70s issue, I inadvertently left off the link for the thread which had that air temperature information. He it is:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1027296

(Post #5 deals with air temps)

I'm outta here. Bonne vacances! Bonne chance!

Edited by Pet Nit Noy

It's clear that you dislike the information I've been sharing. Unfortunately, the nature of the internet is such that once we put a query into the public sphere, we no longer control how people respond. Reading your posts, I became concerned about the security of your possessions and the ease with which you'll be able to move about during your European visit. Nevertheless, you'll be happy to know that this will be my last post since you consider my experience in both your destinations to be irrelevant.

Here's what we've learned about your past travel as a result of things you've written on this thread:

o Probably, you drive to a FL port from home also in FL.

o As a result, you've had no need to restrict luggage for weight or cost considerations.

o You have a point of view about packing that has resulted in packing 30" suitcases and seven pieces of luggage for a seven day trip.

These facts/point of view are not appropriate for European travel.

The fact that you are young and mobile and can move all that luggage around does not address the question of whether you should. I tried to supply verifiable facts that might lead you to reconsider your plans. All that has happened is that you're more committed to staying the course.

As for the 70s issue, I inadvertently left off the link for the thread which had that air temperature information. He it is:

http://cruiseforums.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1027296

(Post #5 deals with air temps)

I'm outta here. Bonne vacances! Bonne chance!

You also left the part out where I said I'm using 17" 18" and 24" bags. Not 30". You keep saying 7 bags. Yet there isn't 7 bags. If I'm holding a paper bag lunch will that make my bags 8 lol. Your just twisting my words and facts to fit how you travel. I'm happy you can travel around with one zip lock bag and have no issues.

I'm not sure if you have poor eye sight or just decide your not going to read what people actually post. Your just going to tell them how everything you do it right. Got it.

Again I never asked for advice on packing, eating, tour guides and the who's who of Paris. I simply asked about a car service. I get this is a public forum but if people just threw their 2cents into threads that weren't relevant then there would be a lot of wasted band width on here.

I get your trying to "help". You gave your point of view on a topic that wasn't asked for. The fact your still trying to convince me shows you just feel like arguing.

here are two car services that were recommended to me:

prestigeprivatetransfer.com

privatecar.pariswebservices.com (rick steves' recommendation)

I booked with the first one because they were able to work with my situation. hope this helps.

ellen

here are two car services that were recommended to me:

prestigeprivatetransfer.com

privatecar.pariswebservices.com (rick steves' recommendation)

I booked with the first one because they were able to work with my situation. hope this helps.

ellen

Thanks for the info. What was the rate? 55 euro has still been the best offer I've received. That's for a Mercedes e class.

Thanks for the info. What was the rate? 55 euro has still been the best offer I've received. That's for a Mercedes e class.

for my group of 7 the round trip is 155 euros

ellen